Hello

tomholman

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to tell you how great your forum is.  I have been a production mixer here in New York for 35 years, I mostly do commercials.

I am researching a move to non-linear.  I actually found out about the site from Take Vos when I asked him a bunch of questions.  I attended both the recent Gotham seminars, the first was Metacorder vs Boom Recorder.

In the early 70's come January, February there would be no work in the east (unless you got on a good doc or project in the Islands). We used to drive the van out to LA and do some spots with our NY directors.  I got to work with Don Coufal and meet some of the top LA mixers.  I remember going into Yale Electronics on Sunset like a kid in a candy store.  We did not have anything like that in NY. I met John Bosco, David Ronne, Ken Isley we had a good show & tell.

When I switched from 1/4" to DAT it was your cover story in Portadat News No1. that pushed me. I have been happily using my 3 HHB's since; one in the nice cart I built in 2000, one in the "over the shoulder" rig, & one in my "road tray" a small console w/cooper 106, 2 diversity Audios, com-tek & monitor, etc for car shots etc.

I have spent a couple of days reading all the posts - some great information. Thank you.

My very close friend, Mike Stone, was killed last year driving home from a night shoot.  I knew Haskel filmed the memorial.  Did not know of his film "Who Needs Sleep"-- can you tell me how I could get to see it?

Sorry to ramble on for so long.

Best, Tom.

I saw that "tomholman" had signed up and of course I first wondered if it was my dear old friend Tomlinson Holman, and then I remembered you (I think we actually met once many years ago). I am sure your names have gotten confused at times in the past. I am pleased that you are enjoying this group and I'm sure you will have things to contibute.

My father's documentary is really good, 7 or 8 years in the making, Mike Stone's passing coming after the movie was essentially finished, though pointing out how little has changed since Brent's death. Most of the screenings are done now and so the only easy way to see the movie is to purchase the DVD:  www.whoneedssleep.net

Welcome aboard and thank you for the personal history and kind words for our group.

Regards, Jeff Wexler