NY Times artical on Steven Soderbergh movie

old school

Hey all, I just got around to reading the Sunday NYTimes, and their was a wonderful story on the old school way Soderbergh went about making the Good German. I've met Paul the mixer, but I don't know him well, and I know Randy, the boom op very well and will make a call to him for some more info about how they went about their craft on that picture. Maybe he will post his take on that project here on JW's site. Hope you all can read the story, it's very interesting to my way of thinking. Cheers,

Old School

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffrey Colon

I didn't see the article but I have been on set with Soderburgh & Family... Night scenes of the prison escape in "Out of Sight".  This was shot inside Angola state pen or the "Farm" as it is otherwise known.  The photographer I was with had worked with Steven at Louisiana Public Broadcasting before he made films and did not mention it to our EPK producer.  She was adamant that we be be ultra respectful (invisible) of the big time artist that Soderburgh is... You should have seen her jaw drop when Steven called a break and came over to give his old friend a hug. Ultimately we were shut down for a couple of hours by rain, and there we were at 3 am inside a prison throwing clods of mud with George Cloony... making jokes about j lo's big.....

Paul was recording the film on a NAG at 15ips Dolby SR... which at the time according to him was THE shizz... EPK got a damm good feed.

One of The directorial challenges was a basketball scene with inmates cast as extras... For them Cloony was still "batman"... it was a good laugh watching them being instructed not to refer to him as such...

I know of at least 6 people who cut their chops on SEx Lies VT... many of their names still show up in Soderburgh's credit rolls.

I read the posts here and on RAMPS about how sound is constantly trivialized and challenged to perform with perfect mediocrity, and yeah, I,ve been pooped on by idiots as well... a couple a days on set with Soderburgh will renew anyone's faith.

Can a director win the Nobel Peace Prize ?

jeff c