Any sound mixers/boom operators around Dorset (Bournemouth) or S'oton, UK?

Hi All,

Just joined up and would like to know if there were any sound recordists out there in the Dorset area, or nearby (such as Southampton)? I've been living down in Bournemouth for just over a year and since completing my Sound Design MA course feeling a bit out of the loop! Currently not working in audio, but itching to get my hands dirty again in my free time! So, if there's anyone out there who would needs a pair of hands (or ears!) for any sound recordist/boom op/tea making facilities, and wouldn't mind me hanging out with them for a bit then please get in touch ;) Basically, looking for some like fellow audio junkies I can chew the fat with whilst maybe being of some use at the same time! Obviously, this is all voluntary. Just hoping for opportunities to network with likeminded people in the area :) Give me a shout if you need a CV/showreel or any more info!

Hope to hear from someone soon,

Regards,

Andy

I'm based in a village called Denmead, around 20 miles further away from Southampton.

I used to frequent Bournemouth on-and-off in the nineties whilst many of my moviemaking chums were doing BAMP at the Uni.

Unfortunately I'm not in any position to offer work, though that may change in the coming months(/years!) as I continue my mis-guided forays into British independent movie production.

I'm based in a village called Denmead, around 20 miles further away from Southampton.

I used to frequent Bournemouth on-and-off in the nineties whilst many of my moviemaking chums were doing BAMP at the Uni.

Unfortunately I'm not in any position to offer work, though that may change in the coming months(/years!) as I continue my mis-guided forays into British independent movie production.

Hi Miker,

Thanks for the reply! If you do plan on heading Bournemouth way anytime soon then feel free to get in touch if you need any assistance, or even just to meet up for a chat :) A free pint in it too lol

All the best,

Andy

I can't offer you a job, sorry, but I do know Bournemouth very well. I visited my my ex-wife's parents many times and they had a house in Surrey and a flat in Bournemouth. Not exactly a hub of movie activity from what I could tell. Both her parents are gone now and the flat has been sold. It was a really nice flat in a beautiful old building right on the front.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

view from the flat, 32 Tollard Court, West Hill Rd., Dorset, Bournemouth  UK

post-1-130815089798_thumb.jpg

I'd concur that generally speaking you're more likely to pick up work in the UK inside of the M25, or further north in Manchester.

If you're just looking for experience I'd recommend you check out OTTfilms co-op - concentrated in London, but there are pockets elsewhere.

http://ottfilms.co.uk/

Of the people who I worked with whilst at Bournemouth and stayed in the industry, none stayed in Bournemouth. Couldn't resist checking the old abode, "then and now" (7 Alington Road Charminster Bournemouth BH3 7JX):

post-294-13081508981_thumb.jpg

post-294-130815089816_thumb.jpg

post-294-130815089823_thumb.jpg

That's a lovely looking flat, Jeff! Wish I had that view from where I am. Can't really see it from my flat in Charminster though :(

Alington Road is pretty close to where I am now. Just round the corner from Tesco's ;) Well thanks for your comments guys. I'll see what ottfilms.co.uk has to offer and keep my fingers crossed something pops up in the future :)

Cheers,

Andy