Hard disks for live recording

I still say "rolling your own" drives is far more cost-effective. Use the quad-interface (FW400/800, USB, eSATA) enclosures made by Other World Computing:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW924AL1K/

Drop in the Hitachi, Seagate, or Western Digital drive of your choice. Problem solved.

Bear in mind that companies like G-Tech and Glyph don't make hard drives -- they buy enclosures from Asian companies and then install hard drives into them and sell them as a package. Having said that: I would say if cost is no object, G-Tech is a terrific company with good support.

--Marc W.

I trust G-Techs or LaCie D2Quadras - I own several 500GB G-Techs, and the leading Location Audio Truck operator in this part of the world, who I work with a lot, won't use anything but that model of 1TB LaCie. He runs 64 tracks to each one from Protools or Nuendo on a daily basis (via FW800). Both of those use external plugpacks though - which annoy me.

cheers, nick

Do not buy G-drives. Get a regular Oxford chipset enclosure and make your self G sticker!

http://www.cooldrives.com/qucosaiienes.html

Now you're sounding like Oleg. A nicer way to put this would be to say there are alternatives to the excellent G-Tech drives people have recommended and you could save some money if you're willing to do a little DYI (rather than "Do not buy G-drives"). The Cooldrive enclosures look good but I did not look at cost of enclosure plus drive vs. a similar offering from G-Tech. Also, Rado, please tell me the quality of construction is better than it appears in the photo: connectors are all jammed in and the access holes do not even seem to match the connectors very well. There are screws that appear to be threaded on an angle to the chassis, etc. Maybe it's just the pictures.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-13081508985_thumb.jpg

Rado right in 100% as no need pay more for  the sticker

What's the difference in cost between a drive in an enclosure from a reputable company and an enclosure and a drive that you put together yourself? Are we talking a huge savings here?

-  Jeff Wexler

Note: translation in Oleg-speak follows:

why you pat shit for bigass name drive to give to prod asshol who hires you slave to give evrything free you record shit that wastes mony could be for beer at rap instead

How is the quality cheap?

It is well build. I have not tried to smash it in the ground yet.

What I care about more then the building quality is the OXFORD CHIPSET

What I like about the enclosure vs assembled drive is I can choose the Hard drive I put inside.

G-tech and other external drive manufactures usually put drives that are cheap and maximizes their profit.

I've purchased the G-tech, CoolGear and Macsales enclosures.

CoolGear by far is the cheapest quality..... How Cool Is That!

Sorry Jeff I misspoke.

I should have said:

In my opinion buying an enclosure with an OXFORD chipset and choosing your hard drive makes more sense then already factory assembled.

Exchanging the internal drive is very easy and does not void the warranty.

Buying a Bare drive gives you 3 to 5 years warranty.

Now you're sounding like Oleg. A nicer way to put this would be to say there are alternatives to the excellent G-Tech drives people have recommended and you could save some money if you're willing to do a little DYI (rather than "Do not buy G-drives"). The Cooldrive enclosures look good but I did not look at cost of enclosure plus drive vs. a similar offering from G-Tech. Also, Rado, please tell me the quality of construction is better than it appears in the photo: connectors are all jammed in and the access holes do not even seem to match the connectors very well. There are screws that appear to be threaded on an angle to the chassis, etc. Maybe it's just the pictures.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

For the upcoming show I'm going to go with one each Gtech (new) and Avastor (older, have used for years) on each Boom Recorder system, and a Gtech USB for the JoeCo backup recorder.  Getting the drives locally from someone I trust is a big deal, I was having big issues finding the Avastors I'd used before (no one had stock....).  I don't want to go with roll-your-own drives for portable work partly because I want to be able to SELL that drive to the client after the gig,  if I want, and it needs to be something their editor has seen before and that has an established price (in addition to some kind of replacement warranty).

phil p

What's the difference in cost between a drive in an enclosure from a reputable company and an enclosure and a drive that you put together yourself? Are we talking a huge savings here?

-  Jeff Wexler

Note: translation in Oleg-speak follows:

why you pat shit for bigass name drive to give to prod asshol who hires you slave to give evrything free you record shit that wastes mony could be for beer at rap instead

I would at least like some sort of footnote credit for the use of my translator... Finally you are IN the game...  You could only sit on the sideline for so long....  I am more than amused...

Why is everything always: cheap... cheap... cheap.....  Reminds me of a cheap little bird...  tweet tweet tweet....  cheap  cheap  cheap... 

Buy a darn drive and be done with it...  Plenty of reputable ones to choose from...  A drive is not something I care about saving a few bucks on... It holds data that depending on who you are, and your talents, just might contain something important... A funky plug, wire or any other number of things on the home built unit might cause birdie to cost you your rear end...  Not worth it to me...  If you really know what you are doing, OK ... maybe...  But I still don't want to explain my homebuilt drive malfunction to a producer that matters...  Just not MY particular style...

Quote from a person on this forum.

Jeff soundmen are cheap people with grate generosity , we can come  without get pay with all the gear we have to get good sound  but we  will always  look how to save 2 bucks not to buy the original ta3  connector :-)

paradox ,im not different

Speak for yourself.....

This quote from Phillip is a very valid point:

For the upcoming show I'm going to go with one each Gtech (new) and  Avastor (older, have used for years) on each Boom Recorder system, and a  Gtech USB for the JoeCo backup recorder.  Getting the drives locally  from someone I trust is a big deal, I was having big issues finding the  Avastors I'd used before (no one had stock....).  I don't want to go  with roll-your-own drives for portable work partly because I want to be  able to SELL that drive to the client after the gig,  if I want, and it  needs to be something their editor has seen before and that has an  established price (in addition to some kind of replacement warranty).

How is the quality cheap?

It is well build. I have not tried to smash it in the ground yet.

What I care about more then the building quality is the OXFORD CHIPSET

What I like about the enclosure vs assembled drive is I can choose the Hard drive I put inside.

G-tech and other external drive manufactures usually put drives that are cheap and maximizes their profit.

Cool Gear is cheap,  you will find out if you put together different brands of enclosures with different hard drives. They are flimsy.. poor build quality.

If you want to puchase enclosure with your pick of drive look at these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW934FWU2K/

If you want really good drive get this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/415459-REG/Glyph_Technologies_GT050Q1F_500_500GB_GT_050Q_Quad_Interface.html

Better get a couple while your at it. Media on one drive not backed up.....Ha-ha.

Avid drives in 1999 were $3800 for 9GB.

I used to have a Digidesign 1GB Prostore 3 rack space drive for use with Protools...price was $4995.

Storage is so inexpensive now... get several and don't complain about the price.

Whatever floats your boat....

• 1 year later...

I had a run of bad luck with the small-chassis GTechs, and the JoeCo was recommended to be used with USB-only drives, even relatively slow ones. This is a dedicated interface, not a computer, so I guess they can customize it somewhat. In any case all the JoeCo recording I've done this year has been on cheap WD USB drives (self powered). All good.

phil p

• 6 months later...

Even now, all drives are not equal. When we qualify HDDs for 48 track recording (24 bit, 96kHz), we found the following:

drives that slow down in the cold.

drives that slow down randomly over a long session.

drives that read slower than they write.

drives that had numerous firmware updates to address quality and speed issues. (crapshoot which one you get)

drives that can't have their "green" features turned off to tune for performance.

For a non-realtime transfer of data to a backup, pick whatever's cheap, but if you need a drive for DAW work, can you really risk not getting the audio recorded at all?

Even with SSDs, the read/write patterns for high channel count recording busted through the capabilities of the earlier models.

Tom.

TASCAM.