Hard disks for live recording

Hey Philip (and everyone else),

I just came across this thread again and thought I'd mention the MiniPro drives available from Oyen Digital:

http://oyendigital.com/2.5-portable-hard-drives.html

Another Mixer recommended them to me, and I have a few of them that I've used for some time now without issue. They do get quite hot after a while, but they've been pretty reliable. I'm not sure if they meet all the criteria Philip posted, but they are 7200rpm and have the Oxford chipset...

Anyhow, FWIW...

~tt

• 3 weeks later...

Glyph does have a killer warranty and are nice to deal with for service. But they're not cheap. Bear in mind that Glyph does not actually make anything -- they buy drives from major manufacturers, obtain enclosures built overseas, then assemble them over here. Having said that, they do troubleshoot them well and do good work.

I think G-Tech has pushed Glyph aside as the #1 external drive maker for light-duty recording and post use. Those are also good (albeit costly) drives. Me, I still like "rolling my own" and just buy WD drives off-shelf and slap them in OWC enclosures. But I'm crazy/paranoid about backups.