just when most programs finally work with Snow Leopard...

I will find the links if I can but there have been lots and lots of articles in all the trade magazines, and the financial publications, regarding the direct impact on the marketability of ALL computing devices but specifically the class of sub-notebooks commonly referred to as "netbooks."

I found one really good article, just coincidentally about Asustek: Apple iPad Affecting Netbook Market: Eee PC hit hard

from the article: "Netbooks were the big thing in 2009 and we had assumed that 2010 was going to be much the same that was until Apple decided to launch the iPad back in January. Since then, the Apple tablet device has been eating into the netbook market share, so much so that Asus has seen Eee PC sales expectations fall short.

Asustek has now had to adjust their target figures for Q3 to just 1.4 million units. Q2 was not that great for the computer maker, not only were sales down for their netbook line, but also for motherboards as well, that’s according to a recent Digitimes article.

Asus is not about to give up on its netbook line, but knows in order to compete needs to shift more of its effort to the upcoming Eee Pad and Note series."

The new macbook air looks interesting, and I'm amazed at what they have managed to pack into it.  but it is still larger than my iPad, and no 3G.

If the smaller Air had been available when I finally bought the iPad, I might now be typing on the Air instead of the iPad, mostly because it has a full sized keyboard.  See, I was about to jump on the netbook bandwagon.  I tried out lots of netbooks over the course of several months and found the keyboards too small to use.  So, I ended up with an iPad and couldn't be happier.  Smaller than a netbook, instant on, better screen and I can easily type on the virtual keyboard.

In my opinion netbook prices are keeping steady since they were introduced with cheap prices.

I got my first one brand new for $240.

I found one really good article, just coincidentally about Asustek: Apple iPad Affecting Netbook Market: Eee PC hit hard

from the article: "Netbooks were the big thing in 2009 and we had assumed that 2010 was going to be much the same that was until Apple decided to launch the iPad back in January. Since then, the Apple tablet device has been eating into the netbook market share, so much so that Asus has seen Eee PC sales expectations fall short.

Asustek has now had to adjust their target figures for Q3 to just 1.4 million units. Q2 was not that great for the computer maker, not only were sales down for their netbook line, but also for motherboards as well, that’s according to a recent Digitimes article.

Asus is not about to give up on its netbook line, but knows in order to compete needs to shift more of its effort to the upcoming Eee Pad and Note series."

How are you interfacing with this site on your ipad? I have never been able to use the ipad and respond (type text) to anything on this blog. other sites no problem but not this one. I am able to use the iphone which makes it strange.

I use the quick reply window at the bottom of the page. I have issues with quoting other posts or using the reply button, but the window works unless I try to preview.  It's the only site I go to this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to test this --- I know it was mentioned quite some time ago but the ways that I access this site, for me, are fairly limited. I am usually on a Mac, my big iMac at home or my MacBook (laptop) at work, both with full size Safari browser. I have used my iPhone (3G) at times but the browser experience, as you can imagine, is not so great on the little screen. I have yet to try on iPad (I don't own an iPad, yet).

I also do not have the Quick Reply panel up and I am not sure exactly how it works. I believe it is a user preference to show or hide the Quick Reply box. There is a global admin preference to always show the Quick Reply but this has been off for most of the life of this forum.

Lastly, I have seen some odd problems using the Preview feature before posting, so I don't use it. I try and compose things carefully and then I just post it. When problems arise, as they sometimes do with a post, I will hit "Modify" and make the changes, then Save it (post it again).

This SMF forum software is very good and has served us well but there are annoying quirks and some bugs that we just have to put up with.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Do you know why they called it Safari?

Because you have to really hunt to find sites that work.

(:

I have not been able to test this --- I know it was mentioned quite some time ago but the ways that I access this site, for me, are fairly limited. I am usually on a Mac, my big iMac at home or my MacBook (laptop) at work, both with full size Safari browser. I have used my iPhone (3G) at times but the browser experience, as you can imagine, is not so great on the little screen. I have yet to try on iPad (I don't own an iPad, yet).

I also do not have the Quick Reply panel up and I am not sure exactly how it works. I believe it is a user preference to show or hide the Quick Reply box. There is a global admin preference to always show the Quick Reply but this has been off for most of the life of this forum.

Lastly, I have seen some odd problems using the Preview feature before posting, so I don't use it. I try and compose things carefully and then I just post it. When problems arise, as they sometimes do with a post, I will hit "Modify" and make the changes, then Save it (post it again).

This SMF forum software is very good and has served us well but there are annoying quirks and some bugs that we just have to put up with.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler