Interesting RF antennae

Darren

That's a wild looking antenna. I would love to hear from someone who has used this product or from someone who knows a lot more about RF and antenna theory than I do. SHURE's write up is quite extensive but they are obviously pushing the technology as an alternative to some of the sorts of antennas we use now.

-  Jeff Wexler

Helical antennae are designed - specifically - to receive circularly-polarized signals (as long as the transmit and receive polarization-direction - left or right - match). Circular polarization is often used in satellite transmissions, and helical antennae offer a decent compromise in size/performance versus parabolic dishes.

Its circular polarization also makes it an excellent antenna for receiving vertically or horizontally polarized signals (read bodypack transmitter with a vertical or horizontal antenna) and gives it a slight tactical advantage over a more common yagi (or shark fin) antenna (which should match the polarization of the transmitter).

In field experience I've never found helicals to produce a profound RF advantage to yagis, and the trade-off is they're not as compact or handy as yagis (or as cheap!).

My .02.

Eric Leonard

KFI AM-640

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jeffrey Colon

James at PWS is usually the Freq coordinator, wireless guru for things like Superbowl where there are hundreds if not thousands of Rx Tx sytems in use...  I would take whatever advantage I could to keep things running smoothly in those type environments... Last SB game I worked, I submitted 11 different frequencys... all but one were disallowed.

BTW, James is one heck of a good guy.

Jeff C