HP slate will run OSX snow leopard IMHO

By looking at the specs I do not see a reason why it should not run snow leopard operation system since snow leopard is a PC OS.

I am not very happy with the video card but for nothing video intensive it is an excellent little device.

Wave agent anybody?

I am sure there will be some sort of "Hackintosh" routine that would allow for Mac OSX to run on the HP tablet. Quite a few people have gotten their Windows netbooks to run OSX but I don't know how well this works.

Also, what is the comment about Wave Agent? Wave Agent is al ready a cross platform application that runs beautifully on both Windows and Mac OS.

It is not a hack.

It installs from the original DVD.

Works the same as on apple.

The reason I mention it will run OSX is because most people here would not buy anything but APPLE.

(:

As I mentioned in previous posts I would love to have a small tablet that will get in the front of my Pegz1.

I can then copy the files from the 744t card, do a sound report and email it.

Setup my Htc HD2 to wireless router and the tablet will have internet everywhere.

I would not buy the HP. Not only because their abuse of workers but because the price is very high. BTW Apple and Dell is made in the same factories.

Asus is my bet for a good device.

I have been using their hardware exclusively for 15 years and have not had a crash.

Not to mention their 2 years "no questions asked" warranty. It can burn. Flood. Break in 2. THEY WILL EXCHANGE IT.

I am sure there will be some sort of "Hackintosh" routine that would allow for Mac OSX to run on the HP tablet. Quite a few people have gotten their Windows netbooks to run OSX but I don't know how well this works.

Also, what is the comment about Wave Agent? Wave Agent is al ready a cross platform application that runs beautifully on both Windows and Mac OS.

It is not a hack.

It installs from the original DVD.

Works the same as on apple.

The reason I mention it will run OSX is because most people here would not buy anything but APPLE.

I thought that what Apple did to protect their business was to make it difficult to install Mac OS on other hardware (without some sort of hack). You are saying that I can take an Apple distribution DVD of Snow Leopard and install it on any PC hardware? I looked at the Asus line of sub-notebooks you recommended and they look very good --- tell me again that I could just install Mac OSX on one of those just like I would install it on a computer (hardware) from Apple?

I find this hard to believe.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Rado,

I would not buy the HP. Not only because their abuse of workers

I am assuming you are referring to China's Foxconn - the same place that the venerated iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro's are being manufactured?

Is this bleeding heart liberal thinking a hold over from good ol' socialized Europe?

Do you know how many items you have purchased in the last twenty years that have originated in China? A country with a repressive regime that we keep buying from -- because of their cheap labor.

If you are really so concerned then buy 100% American made products (if you can really find them) and stop the federal government from running up our huge deficit and borrowing from China in this November election.

this is not the right section of the forum for political rants.

Nothing that I own is made in Chinatown apart from what was already in my house when I got it. Some compact flash maybe.

I drive american and every time I buy I buy made in USA. maybe some Mexico in between.

But again this is not the plaxe for politics.

Jeff Yes you can use original snow leopard dvd you just need a small flash drive to make the snow leopard think that it is a real mac. The instalation process is 100% the same.

No hackintosh.

I am on my cell at the moment I will send you pix and more info later.

p.s. even though I am not following the customer agreement, I purchased the Package software that I use.

Guilty. I should not have commented about that.

Point taken.

Rado,

I'll let the moderator of this site, Jeff Wexler, decide if "politics" is appropriate for a reply to your naked political rant of a discussion on hacked pc's.

You brought up the "enslavement" by China in two separate threads -- so who is ranting political here?

...<snip>

tell me again that I could just install Mac OSX on one of those just like I would install it on a computer (hardware) from Apple?

I find this hard to believe.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hi,

I think the short answer is no since, if you have apple hardware, a clean install is essentially automatic (i.e., pop in disc, answer prompts... wait... done [maybe migrate too]). 

Here, as an example, is a guide for installing s'leopard from Apple's DVD:

http://prasys.info/2009/08/installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86/

http://prasys.info/2009/10/empire-efi/

Clearly this is much more involved than installing the OS on Apple hardware.  Two other downsides?  You are contravening the EULA (even with a unique purchased copy of the OS, maybe not a concern for many) and you have orphan hardware with no access to support.  Try bringing your MSI or Lenovo to the Genius bar, indeed they are rather indifferent to assisting folks with iPhone/iPod's using iTunes under windoze.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a greater choice in hardware open to me.  (e.g., an 11" MBP with IEEE and a matte screen instead of what someone around here recently cheerfully described as a bread slicer).

Celac

Not true!

If I send Jeff the Boot EFI and he has a retail DVD is pretty basic process.

EULA means noting ....people

A PC SOFTWARE is a PC SOFTWARE.

People buy it and use it.

Arrest them and trow them in jail.

Hi,

I think the short answer is no since, if you have apple hardware, a clean install is essentially automatic (i.e., pop in disc, answer prompts... wait... done [maybe migrate too]). 

Here, as an example, is a guide for installing s'leopard from Apple's DVD:

http://prasys.info/2009/08/installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86/

http://prasys.info/2009/10/empire-efi/

Clearly this is much more involved than installing the OS on Apple hardware.  Two other downsides?  You are contravening the EULA (even with a unique purchased copy of the OS, maybe not a concern for many) and you have orphan hardware with no access to support.  Try bringing your MSI or Lenovo to the Genius bar, indeed they are rather indifferent to assisting folks with iPhone/iPod's using iTunes under windoze.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a greater choice in hardware open to me.  (e.g., an 11" MBP with IEEE and a matte screen instead of what someone around here recently cheerfully described as a bread slicer).

Celac

Not true!

If I send Jeff the Boot EFI and he has a retail DVD is pretty basic process.

EULA means noting ....people

A PC SOFTWARE is a PC SOFTWARE.

People buy it and use it.

Arrest them and trow them in jail.

Hi,

As I noted, many people will ignore the EULA... don't worry I won't turn you in.  I didn't say "it can't be done." He asked if the install was the same as on Apple hardware and the simple answer is no. The install is more complicated and, whether you like Apple's service at retail or not, unsupported.  Tech support and a warranty mean something, especially when you get in a jam. 

Celac

Again

If you have  Boot EFI - a small usb drive plus the retail DVD is the same as installing on a mac.

To be honest the only inconvenience might be changing the wireless Lan card with the same chip set that apple uses.

Hi,

As I noted, many people will ignore the EULA... don't worry I won't turn you in.  I didn't say "it can't be done." He asked if the install was the same as on Apple hardware and the simple answer is no. The install is more complicated and, whether you like Apple's service at retail or not, unsupported.  Tech support and a warranty mean something, especially when you get in a jam. 

Celac

How much do you want to bet that if apple sues somebody that purchased the OSX and uses it on a PC they will never win?

That is way they will never sue anybody.

Now if you are selling PCs with OSX then that is a different deal.

Hi,

Celac

You will constantly run into problems with Hackintosh's that do work. I see them as nothing but novelty computers. 

Do a search on ASUS intel Atom processor and OSX.. many problems from not working at all to about 90% functionality on various

versions of OSX. Forget about updating if you get it working. Apple will cut you off.

how many times should I repeat?

It is not a hackintosh!!!!

and has been working without problems for a long time.

I have to work. If anybody needs more info msg me and I will respond tonight.

I am shooting at the Hilton sports book.

Noting more entertaining then people watching sports while loosong a lot of money

You will constantly run into problems with Hackintosh's that do work. I see them as nothing but novelty computers. 

Do a search on ASUS intel Atom processor and OSX.. many problems from not working at all to about 90% functionality on various

versions of OSX. Forget about updating if you get it working. Apple will cut you off.

Oh, sorry. I looked up Hackintosh in the Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia and it said that it's PC hardware running apple software. Maybe I just don't understand. There are many things in this world I don't understand.. this could be one of them.  When you purchase apple OS

I believe you agree to not run it on a PC.... wouldn't a HP tablet be a PC? Would that not be a "Hackintosh?"

Oh, sorry. I looked up Hackintosh in the Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia and it said that it's PC hardware running apple software. Maybe I just don't understand. There are many things in this world I don't understand.. this could be one of them.  When you purchase apple OS

I believe you agree to not run it on a PC.... wouldn't a HP tablet be a PC? Would that not be a "Hackintosh?"

Hackintosh implies that something is hacked and it is usualy used when you talk about hacking the OS.

how is this a Hackintosh when you are not modifying the OS.

it is not.

You run the osx on the same hardware as Apple.

every hardware in an Apple you can find in a PC.

They do not own the hardware.

They do not manifacture it.

It is a very weak legal argument.

The boot EFI required to load OS X onto a non-Apple device IS the hack. The fact that you may have to go hunting for drivers that work, that you may have to put up with no or poorly performing WiFi, that displays may not work as advertised, that sound support may or may not be a part of the system, that other built-in hardware may or may not work or that you might have to rewrite some BIOS values (itself a hack) are all part of the experience.

If you got a garden variety PC to run OS X without spending the cost differential between the 2 types of hardware in your time then you are indeed a lucky guy.

Best regards,

Jim

none of what you say is true.

efi is a boot loader and has nothing to do with a hack.

what poor WiFi? apple uses standard Broadcom WiFi cards that you can find in a lot of Windows computers.

they use airport driver.

sound works

the only thing I had to install was the card reader.

The boot EFI required to load OS X onto a non-Apple device IS the hack. The fact that you may have to go hunting for drivers that work, that you may have to put up with no or poorly performing WiFi, that displays may not work as advertised, that sound support may or may not be a part of the system, that other built-in hardware may or may not work or that you might have to rewrite some BIOS values (itself a hack) are all part of the experience.

If you got a garden variety PC to run OS X without spending the cost differential between the 2 types of hardware in your time then you are indeed a lucky guy.

Best regards,

Jim

However

you need to preselect the hardware

what poor WiFi? apple uses standard Broadcom WiFi cards that you can find in a lot of Windows computers.

they use airport driver.

sound works

they use airport driver.

sound works

On the contrary, the boot loader is a hack, it hacks the EFI on the computer so it can install OS X.

There is nothing wrong with hacks.  I hacked my wife's old iMac G5 for dual display support, not just mirroring. A hack is simply something not supported by the manufacturer or software writer, which may or may not violate the EULA agreed to either by tearing open the disc envelope or via a check box during installation.

As I said previously, you're a lucky guy if you got a machine up and running without one issue or another.

Best regards,

Jim