Seams a little bit dangerous

Richard Ragon

I just saw the film with my wife.  I thought that it was pretty good, although a bit campy in spots and never the use of a tripod. My wife said she was bitting her nails on the edge of her seat.  She used to work for CSX, so she had a bit of interest in a 'train movie'.

It's kind of a sleeper of a film, but worth watching.

-Richard

Don,

I love the long lens.. don't get me wrong. I do love that look..

It was the constant movement that I'm talking about.. when there's action, it's OK, but no action.. hum..

Example: Two actors in the cab of the engine.. cut to actor one, camera going completely around cab windows. Cut to actor two, camera going completely around cab again, cut back to actor one, and camera going completely around cab again.. It actually took me 'out' of the film.

Maybe because I'm in the biz I see things different, like all the rest of you.  When you notice something that takes you 'out' and you stop being engaged for a few moments..  The goal of a film is to grab you for 90mins, and anything that makes you remember that your sitting in a dark theater is considered a fail.

But.. Don, me and the wife loved the movie.  And, great job on the sound, my hats off too you.

I kept wondering how some of that was pulled off.. It's not exactly easy to film a train, much less get great sound in that environment.

-Richard

It was the constant movement that I'm talking about.. when there's action, it's OK, but no action.. hum...

Yeah, I agree. Camera action not dictated by dialog or story... it makes no sense. It's like neophyte directors who immediately decide to throw in a 360 pan (or worse, a 360 degree dolly) just to jazz things up. Morons. But a guy like Paul Greengrass (last 2 Bourne movies knows how to do this very well. There's a big difference between a pro and an amateur jerking the camera around.

There's also a million visual cliches that make me crazy. The whole 45-degree shutter thing -- where the visuals have a very staccato look to them, popularized (and done well) in Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan -- that's just done to death today, especially on TV. The moment a gun battle starts, boom, everything gets all hyper-sharp and stuttery.

Pretty good list here:

5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look the Same

--Marc W.

I was going to mention that 360 degree circling (not panning) shot, as it seems like since QT's Reservoir Dogs, every wannabe has to include one; sort of a "see I can do that".  Of course QT did not invent that shot, and though there were some that came before, the one I remember as first catching my eye was the 360+ shot of Tom Cruise in "The Color of Money"...

Somebody like Haskell Wexler, Tony Scott, or Quentin Tarantino can do a 360-degree shot and I guarantee you, it'll be totally cool. My problem is the neo-wanabees who throw it in for no reason and have no real clue how to pull it off.

We used to see this all the time in TV, and the post supervisor and/or one of the producers would see it. We'd all roll our eyes and go, "ah, the director's showing off again," and we'd tweak it and move on. Very tough shot to light (or boom), since there's not many places to hide the gear.

--Marc W.