Poly or Mono?

aristotle_kumpis

For Sound Devices Website

WAV Mono vs. WAV Poly           

Q: The 7-Series recorders have two options for WAV files, WAV mono and WAV poly. What’s the difference between these two WAV file types?

A: When choosing WAV mono (monophonic) as your file type the 7-Series will generate separate data files for each individual track recorded. The mono files generated by the 7-Series recorders have file names similar to T01_1.WAV and T01_2.WAV. The _1 and _2 after the take numbers are the mono designators added to the file name. These represent individual tracks.

When choosing WAV poly (polyphonic) as your file type the 7-Series will generate one data file containing multiple tracks. The poly files generated by the 7-Series have file names similar to T01.WAV, no matter how many tracks are contained within the file.

I have never recorded anything other than poly files for the narrative work I have done.  I no longer worry about odd or even number of tracks either.  I have never had a request for mono files, and have never been asked to record only an even track count (although until about 4 years ago I would always deliver an even track count).

For those who are unaware, some earlier Avid systems did not recognize files with an odd number of tracks, so it was required to record a blank track if needed to ensure an even number of tracks on the poly file.

Robert

My experience is exactly the same as Robert's above. Odd-numbered tracks was an issue circa 2003-2004, but I'm assuming nobody is using Avid or FCP systems that old anymore. As far as I know, Pro Tools can handle up to 10-track polyphonic files, and I think starting with PT8 (and the new PT9), there's no limitation as far as I know. All Pro Tools does is just automatically splits the files into mono as they drop into the session.

--Marc W.

Interesting thread...

I haven't recorded a poly file for over 2 years now.

A few shows I've worked on in the last 2 years actually asked for mono files (which I was doing anyway)

Now I just record mono files all the time unless requested otherwise.

A few post folks I spoken to, told me they split the poly files into mono anyway so its better for them to receive mono to start with and eliminate another step in post.

Cheers

Peter Mega

Always Poly

Funny story arises:

Serviced a very big US medication commercial last year

9 radio mikes on actors / 1 on clapper loader plus two booms

Contacted post in NY and said what I was going to deliver

Total astonishment! Oh my God! It will take hours to sync it!

I said I'll deliver poly tracks  "What? - please send a sample!!"

I emailed 10 seconds of audio on 6 tracks

Back came the reply "wow they all move together!!"

mike

• 5 years later...

I do mono unless asked for poly.  I seem to observe that poly is sometimes a default because it is more portable, slightly easier to manage from a data standpoint.  I have received more specific request for mono than poly when anyone cares to show a preference, and it seems to be mostly from Avid users - think that Avid natively handles mono files (perhaps)?  My own preference for mono simply is related to the fractured way in which my recorder handles backups throughout the day and is better to burn through a few smaller mono files at a time rather than digesting one huge poly file.

On November 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Peter Mega said:

I haven't recorded a poly file for over 2 years now.

On November 26, 2010 at 2:48 AM, mikewest said:

Always Poly

Finally, a reliable way to distinguish between Aussies and Kiwis. :-)

45 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Most video location soundies are only working up to maybe 8 chan, and for that polys seem to make the most sense nowadays.  For big jobs with 24-32-48 tracks etc mono files individually named are expected.

So Phil, is that pretty much a breakdown between dialog-heavy projects and primarily music-recording gigs?

On music oriented jobs mono is all anyone ever wants or sees.  Dialog stuff with a small number of channels prob going to a modern NLE like current Premiere then poly seems to be preferred.  For a dialog show above 12 tr or so I'd want to drop a dime on the posties and check the workflow.  Most of the 6xx jobs I've done with 4-12 isos ended up delivered as a poly pile o' isos and a separate mix (one to each card of the recorder).

FWIW,
I worked on a film last year, where I gave them poly files (usually six tracks), until post called and asked why there so many duplicate files for each scene, take, track. For instance, scene 1, take 1, track 1 would have five duplicates; scene 1, take 1, track 2 with another five duplicates.. and so on for each scene/take/track.  The DIT blamed it on me but WAS doing something.. I don't know what. After that I gave em' mono files.