Two Fireface 800's

julian

I believe what Rado is referring to is that RME's USB implementation within their devices are their own designs (like their Firewire implementation) so that they can best take advantage of (and alleviate some issues related to) audio over USB.

Whereas most vendors use strict off-the-shelf firewire or USB silicon, I believe RME claims (and performance has proven to some degree) that their bus interfaces (whether it's Firewire or USB) are very efficient at keeping isochronous data transfers stable at any of the speeds/tracks counts/sample rates they support.

UPDATE: Perhaps more simply put, their custom designs allow for much lower non-audio data overhead which leaves them able to take advantage of a higher percentage of available bandwidth for performance and time-critical data.

So they can't somehow overcome the bandwidth limitation in a given computer's hardware and software; they just optimize their interfaces and their firmware to utilize it better.

There are a few people who do record that many channels in a single poly file. Most often these are people doing concert recording and I think the files are used with pyramid. pyramid also can use the wav64 files that Boom Recorder can write out when the file size limit is set beyond than 4 GB. When you record 96 tracks such a file quickly grows larger than 4GB.

There are a few people who do record that many channels in a single poly file. Most often these are people doing concert recording and I think the files are used with pyramid. pyramid also can use the wav64 files that Boom Recorder can write out when the file size limit is set beyond than 4 GB. When you record 96 tracks such a file quickly grows larger than 4GB.

I know this is possible, but don't have a Pyramix to read the wav64s.  In any case such a large poly file would have the potential for making very time-consuming confusion in post re: files w/o descriptive track names (especially w/ so many tracks).  This would make it a tough sell for me on jobs where I just hand off tracks to someone else.  Is there a utility that can split a wav64 poly (w/ more than 24 tracks) into individual mono files?  (Besides a Pyramix system.)

Meanwhile: I broke my own "rules" and tried some tests w/ two aggregated MOTU Mk2 Travelers, each w/ an 8Pre on their ADAT inputs in BR, with some old G4 laptops.  So far the magic number is 26 tracks (more tracks chokes the ring buffer )--not using CueMix or any other app and not even mousing around on the computer while rolling.  1 hr good so far.  FW400.

phil p