Lav in flight suit

ProSound

If I can cut through the "RAMPS II clutter" for a bit... 

If they're similar to racing suits, one of the biggest problems is that the suit material makes lots of noise.  With a racing suit, there is a flap covering the zipper that runs vertical in the front and you can often hide a lav under the flap, HOWEVER, if the person moves much, the noise of the suit can be problematic.

Since this is for a TV pilot, if it's a scripted show, talk to wardrobe and see if you can get access to one of the suits ahead of time.  Also, find out if having look-alike suits made from quiet fabric is possible.  If it's a reality type show, (and the suit is noisy), see if hair rigs are possible.  If not, a boom may be your best friend.

Definitely discuss these issues with your producer before-hand.

John B., CAS

If it is a 'real' pilot', for a real production company, there will be a wardrobe dept., the flight suits will be from wardrobe, and they will be helpful.  Being a flight suit, might even present an opportunity to hide it in plain sight, but as I once said, it depends, and the OP is going to have to work it out, probably with some T&E involved, especially if it turns out to be a long term, running show.

If I can cut through the "RAMPS II clutter" for a bit... 

John B., CAS

That's a little harsh, don't you think? A little side banter not directly addressing the content of a post is not a sin and hardly qualifies as evidence we are slipping into "RAMPS II" waters.

...and thank you, John, for your thoughtful comments and guidance

That's a little harsh, don't you think? A little side banter not directly addressing the content of a post is not a sin and hardly qualifies as evidence we are slipping into "RAMPS II" waters.

...and thank you, John, for your thoughtful comments and guidance

The banter I don't mind a bit.  I think it usually adds a positive element of camaraderie.  What I do mind is any particular individual who can't seem to "contribute" to a thread without belittling someone else.

A little respect goes a long ways; but the lack of it is a cancer.

John B., CAS

The banter I don't mind a bit.  I think it usually adds a positive element of camaraderie.  What I do mind is any particular individual who can't seem to "contribute" to a thread without belittling someone else.

John B., CAS

I do agree with you...  I mind it as much as you do.

-  Jeff Wexler

• 1 year later...

In a couple of weeks I have to wire up a presenter who will be the passenger in the back of an F16 2 seater training aircraft- (It's exactly the same as a regular 1 seater F16 except that the cockpit is slightly bigger to accommodate the extra seat) . The cockpit will be rigged with go pros Of course they want to catch anything our presenter says during the flight. He'll be wearing a flight suit, helmet and everything provided by the USAF. Trying to figure out the best solution- A hard wired Sony ECM77 into a Zoom recorder that can slip into a pocket somewhere- Set a level, hit record and hope for the best maybe? I can't be in the plane. Maybe stick the mic somewhere in the helmet. I won't get a chance to even see what the flight suit looks like until the day.

If anyone has done this type of thing would love to know what you did, where you placed the mic, and how it worked for you.

In a couple of weeks I have to wire up a presenter who will be the passenger in the back of an F16 2 seater training aircraft- (It's exactly the same as a regular 1 seater F16 except that the cockpit is slightly bigger to accommodate the extra seat) . The cockpit will be rigged with go pros Of course they want to catch anything our presenter says during the flight. He'll be wearing a flight suit, helmet and everything provided by the USAF. Trying to figure out the best solution- A hard wired Sony ECM77 into a Zoom recorder that can slip into a pocket somewhere- Set a level, hit record and hope for the best maybe? I can't be in the plane. Maybe stick the mic somewhere in the helmet. I won't get a chance to even see what the flight suit looks like until the day.

If anyone has done this type of thing would love to know what you did, where you placed the mic, and how it worked for you.

I expect these training flights are all recorded. Just see if they can provide you with a copy of the audio from the vox. A lav would be cool too, but I'd suggest renting Zaxcom recorder pack and lav. Having a full-size recorder (even a Zoom) in the cockpit somewhere during flight seems like a bad idea.

I did something similar once in a helicopter. Didn't know what to expect, wired the guy up with two lavs, a modest and a less modest setting on the gain, therefore I had the dialog good with the engine of and later full speed on, to sort of speak. You can do that with a zoom, use the 2 channels.

I expect these training flights are all recorded. Just see if they can provide you with a copy of the audio from the vox. A lav would be cool too, but I'd suggest renting Zaxcom recorder pack and lav. Having a full-size recorder (even a Zoom) in the cockpit somewhere during flight seems like a bad idea.

I mentioned the Zaxcom to production, but being that this is a 2 week out of town shoot and the F16 shoot is only half a day they didn't want to pay to rent it for two weeks. I own Lectros so it would have to be rented from LSC or Coffey. Looks like I'll be getting creative with the Zoom after all, as my 788t won't fit in the aircraft! My plan is use a Neopax waist or ankle to strap the Zoom under the flightsuit of the presenter and use a Sony ECM77 hardwired into it. As for mic placement- I wont have much time to experiment, so any suggestions as to the best place to set will be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about taping to the underside of the helmet.

I mentioned the Zaxcom to production, but being that this is a 2 week out of town shoot and the F16 shoot is only half a day they didn't want to pay to rent it for two weeks. I own Lectros so it would have to be rented from LSC or Coffey.

They can ship it to you right before you need it and only incur rental for the days you use it plus shipping costs.

These suits are most often very noisy, but (as Mike said) a Tram or lookalike (Voice Tech, Countryman...) can be put on plain sight. Nobody will notice.

The Rode Pin-Mic is different from the original Riksonic, which was side addressed. But it's a valid solution, as long as the pins are long enough (there is a longer version for heavy suits)

If in a plane or helicopter during a flight, mike the communication system (even with only a lav inside any of the headphones cup) It works fine most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...