Side view of JW Sound Cart

Jeff Wexler

Thanks.  What's the mac mini for?  Boom Recorder?  Are you using an outboard burner for the Deva or just the internal?  How fat tires do you use, and do you have "smart" wheels all around or just on one end?

Philip Perkins

Having the Mac Mini on the cart semi-permanently will free me from often having to setup my PowerBook, find a place to put it, remember to take it home, etc. It is just a neat way to consolidate computing function on the cart (and I will have BoomRecorder installed for use when I need it). I use only the built-in optical drive on the Deva --- works fine (but I do have several other outboard drives of various sorts if needed). As for the wheels --- 10 inch pnematic fixed wheels in back, small under-equipped solid rubber casters in front. The cart is not very road worthy and must be tipped back on the rear wheels when moving it over any rough surfaces. The cart is however quite light and small footprint and can be carried by 2 people very easily.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Do you have DAs etc for distro of feeds or does the 208 take care of all of that?  Can your mac mini do wireless internet?  Do you use your keyboard to type in metadata info on the Deva?

10" wheels sound like a great idea.  I finally gave up on pneumatic tires on my cart (magliner) after too  many inopportune flats.  I have the tires with the squishy goo in them now and they've worked great, but only 8", and not as much of a load as you have.   

thanks

Philip Perkins

Do you have DAs etc for distro of feeds or does the 208 take care of all of that?  Can your mac mini do wireless internet?  Do you use your keyboard to type in metadata info on the Deva?

10" wheels sound like a great idea.  I finally gave up on pneumatic tires on my cart (magliner) after too  many inopportune flats.  I have the tires with the squishy goo in them now and they've worked great, but only 8", and not as much of a load as you have.   

thanks

Philip Perkins

Most all of my output needs can be done with just the Cooper 208 (Comtek, Video Village, EPK people, etc.) although even as terrific as the Cooper board is, the original design concept in relation to bussing and monitoring is somewhat challenged by the new ways of multitrack recording.

The Mac Mini comes standard with Airport card (Wi-Fi) so it will connect easily with any Wi-Fi network it can see and gain access. It does not do its own wireless connection to the Internet (but could with the proper ISP account and an outboard adapter).

I do not use the keyboard for metadata although I probably could. I have gotten used to entering metadata on my Deva usin the Deva touchscreen and that works okay for me.

I have consdiered tires for the cart that are non-pneumatic as you describe (the so-called "flat-less" tires) but I'm not so sure about them. I also have not found them in a soft enough and rugged enough material and in any size over 8 inches.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I got my Cooper 208 before the digital option was available and also, obviously, before the version 2 was out. I have very specific thoughts on where things should be digital and where they should be analog, and it is some of these feelings that made me go back to the Cooper after having a Cameo digital board for awhile. I really like everything to be analog all the way until it enters the Deva and I have never been a big fan of the idea of having a digital output from the analog mixing panel. With a digital board (that is, of course, analog IN because the microphones are analog), it is a different story and if I were using a digital board I would feed the Deva a digital signal.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I got my Cooper 208 before the digital option was available and also, obviously, before the version 2 was out. I have very specific thoughts on where things should be digital and where they should be analog, and it is some of these feelings that made me go back to the Cooper after having a Cameo digital board for awhile. I really like everything to be analog all the way until it enters the Deva and I have never been a big fan of the idea of having a digital output from the analog mixing panel. With a digital board (that is, of course, analog IN because the microphones are analog), it is a different story and if I were using a digital board I would feed the Deva a digital signal.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Could I ask you to elaborate on this ( staying analog until the recorder)?  I'm still looking for a new location board that fills my needs at a price I can justify, and have looked long and hard at the digital boards as being a lot of bang for buck.  I find something off-putting about the digital boards, but many on RAMPS seem to have embraced them.  I guess I'm mostly talking about Yamaha.

thanks

Philip Perkins

10" wheels sound like a great idea.  I finally gave up on pneumatic tires on my cart (magliner) after too  many inopportune flats.  I have the tires with the squishy goo in them now and they've worked great, but only 8", and not as much of a load as you have.-------

Are you talking about "flatless" tires or the goo (available at motorcycle shops) that you squirt directly into the tubes? I've thought about trying the latter, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

BTW, Jeff, nice site! Thanks for your efforts.

EB

10" wheels sound like a great idea.  I finally gave up on pneumatic tires on my cart (magliner) after too  many inopportune flats.  I have the tires with the squishy goo in them now and they've worked great, but only 8", and not as much of a load as you have.-------

Are you talking about "flatless" tires or the goo (available at motorcycle shops) that you squirt directly into the tubes? I've thought about trying the latter, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

BTW, Jeff, nice site! Thanks for your efforts.

EB

I'm talking about the "flatless" type.  My cart isn't all that heavy, so they've been great.

Philip Perkins