Getting organized at home

André Boisvert

I finally got fed up with buying little things I knew I had but couldn't find. I've certainly accumulated a lot doohickeys, thingamajigs and assorted whatchamacallits over the years, but they were scaterred throughout the house; in a drawer here, in a plastic bin over there, in a bag up on a shelf. It was time to centralize. Also, I wanted to have an area where I could build/repair/solder in my office, away from the computer/paper part of it.

I came up with this desk;

Desk%201.jpg

Looks like any other desk except for the drawers with flexible dividers.

Desk%202.jpg

Desk%203.jpg

Desk%204.jpg

Desk%205.jpg

I didn't fill all the drawers, so there's room to grow.

I also added a 3x diopter lamp to my desk for soldering, because connector manufacturers collectively decided, over the last couple of years, to make their pins smaller and fuzzier.

DIY - it feels so much better.

Nice, really nice. 

It'll make those repairs and new cables so much more fun to fiddle with.  If you're anything like me, the top of that nifty new desk won't be bare for long.  It's hard to put all the little stuff away in the middle of working --  and it tends to multiply.

"It's not clutter, it's parts."

John B., CAS

Nice work desk and as strange as this sounds, I really like the brick wall behind it. It reminds me of some old convict built heritage structures here in Australia. The bricks themselves dont look like the handmade convict ones we have here but the wall certainly looks authentic.

Enjoy your new work space.

Cheers

Peter Mega

Nice,

I am envious of the space.  One day I hope to have a whole garage/workshop dedicated to my tinkerings.

BTW, I saw 3/4's of Chez Schwartz (http://www.chezschwartzfilm.com/) on a flight to Dallas yesterday, great "old school" style doc that didn't seem forced like so much of what is considered "documentary" today.

Bravo!

Andre I have an old work desk similar to yours and a set a draws that I share with my wife. Both constantly covered in bits in pieces for the next job or just in case. Best not walk on the floor bare foot. Those tiny little wire off cuts I keep meaning to clean up.

Eric some what envious, simple, functional and would fit in my study. Oh and I could use some decent tools. Just rewired two DPA 4063 to TA5 with a crappy $20 solder iron, pair of scissors and needle noose pliers. Think I lost at least two inches cable getting it right. Learning experience.

Tis the holiday season, and usually for me a slow period.  My gift to myself is to clean, fix, organize and sell!  I usually cover holiday shopping with what I make getting rid of stuff...that and some last minute deductions if the stuff goes to a church, Salvation Army, etc.  You would be surprised how exctied several small churches were to get some old VEGA wireless systems.

Tis the holiday season, and usually for me a slow period.  My gift to myself is to clean, fix, organize and sell!  I usually cover holiday shopping with what I make getting rid of stuff...that and some last minute deductions if the stuff goes to a church, Salvation Army, etc.  You would be surprised how exctied several small churches were to get some old VEGA wireless systems.

I was somewhat disappointed,  a while back,  when getting rid of my nagras,  that no one wanted them.  Put one of them on ebay and stumbled on some nagra collectors.  Sold my IVSTC, IS, and SN.  Prior to trying ebay,  they were in danger of being tossed in a dumpster.  List first,  before tossing! 

ao

Nice, really nice. 

It'll make those repairs and new cables so much more fun to fiddle with.  If you're anything like me, the top of that nifty new desk won't be bare for long.  It's hard to put all the little stuff away in the middle of working --  and it tends to multiply.

"It's not clutter, it's parts."

John B., CAS

Yep. The top of my desk is now full of stuff. In my continuing quest to get organized, I'm working on a charging station. I've got a dozen or so chargers that I'd like to see permanently plugged in, but turned on individually. I thought I was going to build my own, but my research led me to these;

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=914023

Maybe 2 of them would do the job.

Nice work desk and as strange as this sounds, I really like the brick wall behind it. It reminds me of some old convict built heritage structures here in Australia. The bricks themselves dont look like the handmade convict ones we have here but the wall certainly looks authentic.

Enjoy your new work space.

Cheers

Peter Mega

Not strange at all, I love my brick. My house was built around 1900, and the wall is one I share with my neighbour; a wall of brick, an air space, and another wall of brick. It was never meant to be seen (originally covered with plaster) and was laid by apprentices, which explains the lack of pattern. Bricks in my neighbourhood were made on site; some have cat paw prints on them, as cats walked on the drying bricks.

Nice,

I am envious of the space.  One day I hope to have a whole garage/workshop dedicated to my tinkerings.

BTW, I saw 3/4's of Chez Schwartz (http://www.chezschwartzfilm.com/) on a flight to Dallas yesterday, great "old school" style doc that didn't seem forced like so much of what is considered "documentary" today.

Bravo!

I've set up my workshop in the basement. I can stand up between the 1st floor joists, but if I want to move around, I have to duck. 10 years and I still haven't learned...

And thanks. I had another doc I've worked on play on Air Canada. Maybe it's just me, but I find it bizarre to see stuff I've worked on play on a plane.

Here's my workshop. Looks like a clothing cabinet but it's not. Obviously neatness does not count but I know where everything is and that's all that counts.

A great DIY space saver. Nice.

I really like this DIY section. Thanks to Graham for suggesting it.

There's got to be a lot more of you out there who have designed and made your own to fix to a problem. Start a thread and post pictures.

• 10 months later...