Kensington Expert Mouse

Zack

Might be out of the jurisdiction of this community, but I thought I would try at least.  I've been using an Expert trackball for years now (since my post sound days), and had it programmed fairly nicely for Pro Tools use.... thing worked great btw.  I have recently upgraded to PT9, which also meant an upgrade of Mac, OS, etc..etc..  Anyways, all is working well other than the customization/programming of the Expert mouse.  Hopefully those that edit out there that use one of these on a newer Mac have experience with the new driver software "Trackballworks".  I finally found how to program keyboard "keys" to the mouse buttons, but I can't seem to find how to aim the settings at a specific application ie: PT's 9.  The settings seem global which really sucks.  Anyone?

Hey, I used to do that, too, in my Pro Tools days. At the moment, I'm using the Apple Magic Trackpad, which I decided I liked better than the Kensington Expert Mouse (which is parked a few inches away, still attached to my Mac).

MC380?wid=185&hei=185&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

I find the trackpad far faster and easier to use than the trackball, even one as good as the Kensington. It's also less stress on my achin' fingers and hands (I'm the poster boy for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome). But I concede there are people who only like mice, people who prefer trackballs, and people who prefer trackpads. (I'm still trying to learn a Wacom tablet for post, but that's an ongoing struggle.)

To answer your question: my advice would be to get QuicKeys and use macros to do all that stuff. In fact, didn't Digi Avid provide the ability to change user commands and stuff within the menus? For repetitive tasks, though, you'd still need macros.

--Marc W.

Hey Marc... I haven't thought of the Trackpad yet.. not sure what it's capable of either.  I do remember some sort of keybinding menu in PT's back in v7.3.1, but have not found anything of the sort in v9.0 yet.  How I have my Kensington set up is the buttons activated the different tools for editing like upper left button selected the selection tool.. upper right = hand tool, lower right = trim tool.. etc..etc..  Those were my repetitive keys and really make me lighting fast editing through stuff.  My left hand (keyboard hand) stayed on the home row and was able to hit nearly every hot key I needed.  Since you're familiar with your trackpad now, would I be able to program it how I explained?  The wireless aspect of it is pretty nice and has me interested.

Talked with Kensington on the phone today... or should I say somewhere in India about the new trackballsoftware they claim as an "upgrade".  They said there is no ability to program the mouse for specific applications anymore.... that's just piss poor imo, anyways I found a great alternative that is completely compatible to the Expert mouse and many others called USB Overdrive.  Works exactly as I wanted, can program for specific applications etc...etc... awesome.  Crisis averted :)

Since you're familiar with your trackpad now, would I be able to program it how I explained?  The wireless aspect of it is pretty nice and has me interested.

No, I don't think so. I don't think it has "hot spots" per se. What I did with Pro Tools was to come up with key combinations and QuicKeys macros to switch the trim tool and all that stuff. I also had a macro that would switch it to "autochange mode," where the trim tool would automatically go from the I-bar to a cursor or to a grabber hand or whatever. Something easy like control-H or control-Z or something will do it. You figure, almost anything will work fast as long as you can remember it.

Marc- Do you use this on your cart, or at your editing desk? If on the cart: does the bluetooth ever cause any wireless hits for you?

Man, I would hope that bluetooth wouldn't cause any wireless hits. I don't have enough space to put the Apple trackpad on my cart, but I do use the built-in trackpad in my laptop Mac and it's fine.

Bluetooth is supposed to be at 2.4MHz, so you would think it's way out of bounds of most wireless systems, even harmonics. There are bluetooth-capable devices that will cause killer interference with our gear: I know for a fact that it's bad to place an iPhone on top of a Lectro 411. That's a recipe for disaster.

yikes.gif

But I'd say as long as the trackpad was a couple of feet away, it "should" work.

--Marc W.

• 10 months later...

No, I don't think so. I don't think it has "hot spots" per se. What I did with Pro Tools was to come up with key combinations and QuicKeys macros to switch the trim tool and all that stuff. I also had a macro that would switch it to "autochange mode," where the trim tool would automatically go from the I-bar to a cursor or to a grabber hand or whatever. Something easy like control-H or control-Z or something will do it. .

I'm curious why you set macros for these tasks to be keyboard shorcuts, when they are already assigned as shortcuts to the function keys, i.e. F6 is the Trim tool, F7 the cursor, F8 the Hand, and two or more of those will go to auto change mode.

I was using those keys for other global functions. I'd like to see Avid allow users to customize all the keyboard shortcuts, which I don't think they've done yet (or if they have, I haven't uncovered it in PT 9).

I learned Pro Tools on version 5, back in the late 1990s, so I still have 10 years of bad habits to unlearn... plus, bear in mind I'm really a colorist and sometimes-mixer who uses Pro Tools infrequently (though I just used it quite a bit on a recent playback project). I often say, with really brilliant software, the designers are smart enough to let users perform a function two or three different ways (say, button, menu, or keyboard shortcut), and then use whatever method feels best to them. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as it's fast and it works.

--Marc W.