12v Battery choices - Roll Your Own

Adam Jones

look at the hybrid cars  engine design , the battery continuously charged .

This is not the case, certainly not with the Prius that I have. The charging, discharging of the battery pack is presided over by a very sophisticated computer based program management system that is constantly adjusting parameters.

I would still like some advice on whether a Lithium type battery could be a direct replacement for the style of cart power supply I use. I found a battery that is designed to be a direct replacement for racing motorcycle battery (typically a lead acid type) which claims to need no change to the stock charging circuit (I assume an alternator, voltage regulator, etc.). From the product write-up:

"The Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is the ultimate in weight versus power technology. This battery weighs in at only 2.12 pounds and offers an incredible 270 C.C.A. This is a drop in replacement for your Lead-acid battery, and will require no change to your stock charging system."

I called the battery distributor company and spoke with one of their people, told them I was planning on using the battery with constant current/constant voltage (float) rather than charge - discharge cycle. He said this is not a good idea because the battery would over-charge. I don't quite buy this since I would be floating probably 13.5 vdc which is less than a charger would put out to charge the battery (typically 13 to 15 vdc).

Does anyone have an ideas on this?

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815091472_thumb.jpg

I have not gotten any response from anyone on this issue of floating DC across a Lithium-type battery. My question again:

I would still like some advice on whether a Lithium type battery could be a direct replacement for the style of cart power supply I use. I found a battery that is designed to be a direct replacement for racing motorcycle battery (typically a lead acid type) which claims to need no change to the stock charging circuit (I assume an alternator, voltage regulator, etc.). From the product write-up:

"The Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is the ultimate in weight versus power technology. This battery weighs in at only 2.12 pounds and offers an incredible 270 C.C.A. This is a drop in replacement for your Lead-acid battery, and will require no change to your stock charging system."

I called the battery distributor company and spoke with one of their people, told them I was planning on using the battery with constant current/constant voltage (float) rather than charge - discharge cycle. He said this is not a good idea because the battery would over-charge. I don't quite buy this since I would be floating probably 13.5 vdc which is less than a charger would put out to charge the battery (typically 13 to 15 vdc).

-  Jeff Wexler

Hey Jeff,

I contacted globalmediapro regarding a similar situation. I wanted to use one of the V mount batteries for a distro(using d tap) while keeping it charged via dc aux in. Here is the relevant part of his reply

"Charging while discharging is a very complex task the electric car

manufacturers now try to solve. It requires special batteries and

clever voltage controller which control draw and charge at the same

time. Do NOT our batteries in this mode"

Hope this helps

-  Jeff Wexler

I don't have any first hand knowledge of lithium iron phosphate batteries  for you but the following wiki page had alot of specifications, formulas and references to manufacturers and other articles on their use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery

ao

with 2000 charges for life and 90 amp  i dont see you finish it  life before you go to pension  , Jeff :-)

and if you afraid that someone will pull your ac in the middle , just dont use it  or make ups  switch to your system .

still ,power supply with +distribution system + 90 amp battery , cost  less then 1/2  of remote audio meon

not  to forget , you can get all the 90 amp :-)

I don't know where you came up with the 90 amp hour number ... I have no intention of building a 90 Ah power supply (I don't need that sort of capacity. I am still looking for an answer to my question about floating. The method and design of my cart power supplies is absolutely the best for me and for the way I work, I really don't want to change that. What I am investigating is a change to the battery type that I may use in the future when I build the next cart power supply.

-  Jeff Wexler

it depends...

that is, Jeff, it depends on the battery involved.

my laptops all seem to work while charging, or discharging or whatever, with a power supply plugged in, but that is because of the circuitry included in both the batteries and computers...

Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries, even the Ipower 9v, all have considerable circuitry built into the battery itself to regulate the charge and discharge.   Some of them are probably quite capable of working with a continuous (aka floating) voltage across them, long term, as you propose, but I bet many could have issues working that way without some sophisticated circuitry...  

Oleg, you've made your point (and again, peppered with insulting and denigrating remarks about all the money mongering manufacturers and dealers and their stupid customers) about the COST of battery power supplies. I don't think ANY of us need to hear again and again what could be purchased for "the cost of a Meon" --- we just don't care. For the cost of a Meon I could buy 500 pounds of pasta...  it just doesn't matter. After reading all your posts that seem so focused on COST, it seems to me that you should begin manufacturing and marketing battery power supplies to our industry --- you could make a fortune! Who wouldn't want a KaizerPower battery supply --- you could buy 10 of them for "the cost of a Meon".

Seriously, I am going to continue to build cart power supplies for myself and in much the same manner as I have been for the last 20 years. My interest in Lithium battery technology will go on as I discover the potential benefits of this sort of battery.