jws and ipad

peter775

Hi,

I´m not sure if this has been mentioned but has someone found a way to post on jws with an ipad? No matter what I try jws won´t allow me to click and type in the text window. The subject field works fine but I can not activate typing mode when I click into the message body field.

I´ve also tried to type a message via my regular mac which works fine but when I try the modify that message with my ipad I can´t get into the message body box.

BTW: This works just fine on forums based on other software (vbulletin, phpbb etc.). Must be a combined ipad/jws bug.

Thanks!

I always just use the quick reply section at the bottom of the page....using it right now :)

I don't have an iPad yet (I know that alone seems incredible) so I can't really experiment myself right now. One thing that puzzles me is that when viewing/using this forum, I don't see a "Quick Reply" button anywhere on the screen! Not above the composition window, not below, not on menu bar...  what's the deal? Is the 'Show Quick Reply' possibly a user preference that I have not set for myself?

I will try and sort this out (but possibly not until I get my own iPad v.2 in January).

-  Jeff Wexler

yes quick reply works but unfortunately quoting is impossible in that window.

You can copy the text from the quote window and paste it into the quick reply window, then post as usual like I'm doing right now.  It is an extra step, but does work.

Wait wait wait....Jeff doesn't have an iPad?

I know...  shocking isn't it. I think it is the first time I have not bought from Apple the first generation model of any of their products. I think I have owned almost every product they ever made (even the e-Mate, ever heard of that one?) and most every model of computer. I will be getting an iPad but I'm going to wait until v.2 comes out, most probably at the beginning of the new year.

-  Jeff Wexler

The joke is exactly what Jeff pointed out. I thought Jeff would have been one of the first people to have an iPad. I remember when he bought the first iPhone and he showed it to me. The iPad seems like an iPhone for people with chubby fingers to me, but I've never actually used one, so I'm saying that based on nothing but ignorance. I remember that I predicted that the iPhone would be a big flop, and look how right I was bout that. I would own an iPad, but I already have a laptop, and see no need for an iPad. The only reason I would get one is if I traveled by plane A LOT because you can throw movies on there and watch them with the brightness at low level, and the battery will last forever. I've also seen some really cool games available for it, which can do way more than you can do with any smart phone.

But you do have a point about toys controlling our lives. I have a smart phone (My Touch 3G slide from TMobile), and I love it, but sometimes I feel too connected. There are times I don't want to get a text or a phone call or an e-mail or any other contact, and once people know you have a device like a smart phone they expect you to be able to be contacted at all times, and I can definitely see that for some people, this is a bad thing, and an annoyance at best, but I have to admit, when I'm lost, it's cool to be able to use the free google map ap and free google navigation system to tell me where to go when I'm in the car. But, when the next ice age hits, or we experience crustal displacement (and watch John Cusack make sweet jumps), if these devices will even work.

OMG, the world is ending. Civilization as we know it will vanish, the ice age will return. So what? I don't have an iPad or a smart phone and I don't feel deprived or left out. You're letting your toys control your lives.

Eric

I've been keeping an eye on the iPad. I was highly skeptical at first, but - with a few hardware tweaks Apple are not likely to ever make - it could become a very, very interesting device.

What kills it for me right now is its absolute reliance on iTunes - which means a PC/Mac is a prerequisite. Which means, living a PC/Mac free life is not possible with the iPad and (for me) not desirable with any of the competing tablets.

There are some very interesting multi-track recording apps on the iPad, all currently restrained by hardware.

eg

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/amplitube-for-ipad/id373750924?mt=8

There are times I don't want to get a text or a phone call or an e-mail or any other contact, and once people know you have a device like a smart phone they expect you to be able to be contacted at all times, and I can definitely see that for some people, this is a bad thing, and an annoyance at best...

Agreed. But that's why the phone has an "ignore" button. There's certain times of the day I just won't take calls, but I'll still check the messages every so often (on my own time and schedule) in case there's an emergency or something that demands my attention.

I once had a 45-minute lunch with a young producer, and I swear, 35 minutes of it consisted of him saying, "ooops -- excuse me," and then turning away to take another 2-minute call. Rudest damn thing I ever saw. I don't think I ever completed two complete sentences with him without his phone ringing again. I would've smacked him about it, except the pay was too good. I bit my tongue, cashed the check, and all was well.  sigh.gif

--Marc W.

most people that don't like the ipad haven't used it ;-)

on my last shoot the dailies were delivered via 3G ipad directly from thr lab. drectornwas able to have a quick first view on the dailies while standing innthe middle of nowhere.

the lab has a special approval site running especially made formthe ipad on set. director and DP loved it.

The show I'm working on now is using I-pads for script/sound notes/camera notes via a network. we are Beta testing the system for a developer. It allows us to contribute our notes to a common database via wi-fi. So far it's been quite useful, but i still keep written notes. No dailies distribution so far. We have a DIT on site to deal with any problems, and we're in contact with the code jockey guy with any notes and suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

Chris Newton

Chris, is it the LivePlay system?  I'd be curious to hear how it fits in with the flow of production... in particular, whether it slows things down by letting too many people fiddle with their own independently controlled playback... or whether it actually makes things better by giving the users more individual control of what they review.

Laurence

Hi Lawrence. It's not the Live Play system you mention. It is a system we are testing for the developer. The parts of the program we are using right now only consist of metadata and logging information, not motion images. Use of moving pictures is probably going to be incorporated at some point, but for now we're just dealing with text, and possibly some still images (for continuity purposes, camera tests etc.). we'll see what develops in the next round of testing. I guess i used the wrong term when I referred to it as Beta testing. We're still in the early stages of this thing. I'm not very computer savvy, so i can't really explain it better. My biggest problem is using the touch screen for typing in stuff, but they're going to get me one of those keyboard dock thingies for the next production cycle at the end of January. Chris.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that there is an ad that comes up sometimes when I sign on using my iphone/ipad to bulletin board sites. It told me about TAPATALK

AWESOME PROGRAM. I am hooked using it to search the sites, and post easily. It even tells you what all the new posts are every time you sign on. BTW, we post a lot - every time I open it (every hour or so) there are like 30 more posts to read! It gets stressful keeping up!!

check it out

www.tapatalk.com

~Thomas Popp

Popp Sound LLC

818-359-1348

thomas@poppsound.com

Hi,

I´m not sure if this has been mentioned but has someone found a way to post on jws with an ipad? No matter what I try jws won´t allow me to click and type in the text window. The subject field works fine but I can not activate typing mode when I click into the message body field.

I have fixed this issue for myself by turning OFF a setting on JWS called " Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default." under the Look and Layout settings.

So far all now works as it should on my iPad. I am editing and typing this post from the iPad.

edit: testing the edit function ... that works too.