Lectrosonics SRa real world usage.

pvanstry

I too have noticed a very low level RF read on my 411a (blk 22, 24, 26) from the 552.

Low enough, that I can almost eliminate the reading by getting them further apart in the bag.

Glen Piegari

I'm running a 552 with a couple SRa's on block 26 right next to it, and I've NEVER seen any interference from the the 552.

Tom

As far as the interference goes, i did a test with a UCR411a block 21 and the 788T.  I started with the 788 off and had my wife walk away from me wearing an SMa tx block 21.  When she reached the limit of the range, i asked her to stop and remain still. I could see the UCR struglling to keep the signal but it was not good.  I then asked her to walk back toward me until the signal was again working and asked her to stop.  I repeated the procedure until i was pretty sure she was at the edge of the range but still working.  I then turned the 788 on and the UCR automatically was affected by it.  She had to walk closer to me to regain signal.  Not much but the UCR was affected.  I would bet that in multisystem, crowded area, the 788 will affect the Lectros adversly. 

Then i redid the same test but this time i remoted the antenna to my shoulders using coax dipole i made.  THen the 788 made no difference at all, on or off.

Pascal

PS.  I am trying to source out, with the help of Lectros Canada and Trew audio, a couple of SRa block 21 to really put this issue to rest or ....  ANyone knows where i could get some in Montreal/Canada???

I think all soundies should use whatever equipment (esp wireless hops) they have had the greatest success with on the specific sorts of jobs they do.  I find the experience of people who have used the SRa and other gear for a long time and in many different situations extremely useful, and really the only info we can get that means much.  One job in one place or even a few places or one set of tests in one or a few locations in the same city doesn't make for an in-depth enough assessment to mean much beyond that specific situation. 

phil p

For bag and Cart work I have used my SRa [22] with and without my 411a's [24, 26] without any issues.  I have only used my SRa as a hop once, which also worked great.  I've actually been replacing my 411's when I travel overseas with the SRa, and even local jobs if I don't need more than 2 wires for bag work (although I do bring the 411's as back up when local).  I've been in busy cities, underground in the vast Hong Kong subway system, in chase cars 50'+ from the talent car driving through Pasadena, CA, in the middle of the Mojave Desert, and at 20,000ft. in the Andes Mountains with my SRa giving me excellent performance.  The only complaint I have with the SRa is dealing with the membrane style buttons .... I'de rather have a traditional power switch and buttons like the 411's do.  Overall,  I'm very happy with my SRa.

THanks for all the info guys.  I had a great and long conversation with Scott last night on the phone and he helped me a lot.  Scott has 411A and SRa in block 22 ( same block is crucial for testing apples with apples ).  He seems to be quite happy with the SRa but still wants to keep his 411a.  No real concrete reason, more out of habit and security.

COnsensus seems to be that 98% of the time, SRa will be as good as the 411a but once in a while, the Front end tracking will prevail.  In all honesty, it will prevail but by how much more range? I tend to think by a very little margin.

At this point i have tested apples with oranges ( 6x 411a block 21 against 1x SRa block 22 ) which is not realley vaild.  I have also tested 1x 411a block 21 against an SRa5P block 24.  Both these test are pointing to equal range and performance.

Now i need to test an SRa against a 411a in block 21.  If that is good ( same result ) then i will test 2 SRa block 21 and 1x SRa block 22 ( the configuration i want ) against 6x 411a in a real shooting environment.

But at this point, i am leaning toward the SRa option simply for the huge advantage ( for me ) of weight and size.

Will see

Pascal

I've been using a block 21 SRa for the past year exclusively for bag use miking talent with an SMD and an SMQ transmitter. It's been flawless.  I agree that the blister buttons can be annoying, especially at first. But I've gotten used to them and don't even think about it anymore.

The only operational thing I've noticed is that on occasion it will be sensitive to mobile phones. I've been on shoots where everything is fine and dandy, then a couple of grips will stand beside me to hold a bounce board or something, and I'll pick up slight cellular noises.  I can also hear people receive texts when their phones are silenced. I don't blame the SRa for this. I blame the generation of people who refuse to actually turn off their phones on set after being asked. :) This has only happened a few times, and the noise it created was so slight that only sound people would likely notice them in post.

I wish the power input on my SRa had a screw/locking mechanism. I've also almost lost a tiny screw or two because the plate becomes loose after a while. Other than that I love it. I would buy a second one if I ever upgraded my bag from a 302 to something larger.

I wish the power input on my SRa had a screw/locking mechanism. I've also almost lost a tiny screw or two because the plate becomes loose after a while.

I have one of the L-battery sleds on my SRa, it has the threaded/locking power option on it :)

I've been using a block 21 SRa for the past year exclusively for bag use miking talent with an SMD and an SMQ transmitter. It's been flawless.  I agree that the blister buttons can be annoying, especially at first. But I've gotten used to them and don't even think about it anymore.

The only operational thing I've noticed is that on occasion it will be sensitive to mobile phones. I've been on shoots where everything is fine and dandy, then a couple of grips will stand beside me to hold a bounce board or something, and I'll pick up slight cellular noises.  I can also hear people receive texts when their phones are silenced. I don't blame the SRa for this. I blame the generation of people who refuse to actually turn off their phones on set after being asked. :) This has only happened a few times, and the noise it created was so slight that only sound people would likely notice them in post.

I wish the power input on my SRa had a screw/locking mechanism. I've also almost lost a tiny screw or two because the plate becomes loose after a while. Other than that I love it. I would buy a second one if I ever upgraded my bag from a 302 to something larger.

Yes--the battery sled's power connector is locking.  Re the phone thing,  I recently had to walk out in front of the cameras after they had called roll sound, like between the cameras and the talent, to make my announcement about really really turning OFF the f-ing phones for the shot taken seriously.  I was getting the "AD-steamroller" treatment about it and was getting killed by about 4 Blackberries at once (it was a corpo shoot, so lots of those).  The look on the DP's face when he saw me walk out into his shot in full regalia was priceless.

phil p

Don't worry, it'll be drowned out by the generator, the HMI ballasts, the camera fan, and the grips prepping for the next shot.

John B., CAS

It's funny how consistent these rants are between us sound professionals.  It helps keep me sane lol.

hello

here in the UK , after about 4 years gap klectros are legally for sale again but you can only purchase the SRa's, i have 6 x lectro 310's which i will be replacing this year prob in the summer, has anyone tried using the lectro inline rf filters for a specific block ( http://www.gnarlywireless.com/lectrosonicsweb/manuals/PF25td.pdf)  with the SRa's using ext anntena's ie dipoles in bag for talents mics and not Hops, and does it help the SRa's Rf front end ?? if that makes sense ie rejecting anything outwith the Block required..

many thanks

Richard Paterson

As far as the PF25 filter, I called Lectros and was told that the SRa already has the same filtering on it's front end. So no real advantage there. The filter is meant to transform a wideband VR system into a block specific unit. Also available is the PF50 version which is two block wide. I currently use a UFM50 that Delacruz same thing and has an amplifier built in to make up for loss.

Pascal

You may find that the actual source of the noise from cellular devices is from the mike, not the transmitter itself. When we tested a couple of SMA transmitters with the input terminated (no mike connected), the induced noise from a Blackberry device was very low, with the gain set at a bout 23.

Fortunately, microphone manufacturers are now paying a bit more attention to this issue. I just attended a meeting last month at Shure Bros., where engineers demonstrated the work they had done on some of their mike line intendedfor conference room use (where digital devices typically get placed right in front of (or even on top of) the microphones.)

They demonstrated one of their original mike designs (which had terrible issues with RF pickup), and compared it to a recent re-designed model, which had absolutely zero noise from a Blackberry placed right on top of it. Very impressive. They discussed in some detail all the effort that went into the design of the product, which was rather daunting, to say the least.

While this is a bit harder to do with a miniature lavalier, much can be accomplished in terms of cable design, attention to connector terminations, etc. (Schoeps did this rather successfully with their CMC-6 series amplifiers as well).

One thing for sure, the problem isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Phil, you got some real cajones my man! Recently, after having told a producer for the 4th time within an hour not to stand next to my cart while texting,  I was ready to do the same. And then there's the on-camera talent, who never seem to turn off their fucking phones...hey, don't want to miss that next gig!

Maybe we need to have some "No Cell Phones" international signs made up, like what they use on hospital wards, along with some decals that we can slap on peoples faces.

On one show I worked on, the AD's made a rule that anyone's phone that interrupted a shot would be fined $25.00, which went to the bucket for the Friday draw. More than one producer had to pay into that one, to my great satisfaction...

And if you ever work with Vince Vaughn, don't even let him see your cell phone...

--Scott

The only operational thing I've noticed is that on occasion it will be sensitive to mobile phones. I've been on shoots where everything is fine and dandy, then a couple of grips will stand beside me to hold a bounce board or something, and I'll pick up slight cellular noises.  I can also hear people receive texts when their phones are silenced.

You need this sign on your cart:

ODE-4670_300.gif

I want one that says: DANGER: RISK OF EXPLOSION IF CELL PHONES ARE ON!

(I won't tell them the explosion would be from me.)

--Marc W.

On one show I worked on, the AD's made a rule that anyone's phone that interrupted a shot would be fined $25.00, which went to the bucket for the Friday draw. More than one producer had to pay into that one, to my great satisfaction...

--Scott

We have a similar rule here in Sydney/Australia...who's ever phone interrupts the shot has to buy the crew a case of beer.

I've only ever seen two people actually come through with the case, one was a camera op and the other was the talent.

All the other owed cases have never been supplied and there's been many.

Cheers!!!

Peter Mega

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pascal,

A little late, but thought I would share my limited experience with using the SRa5P in a bag along with UCR411s, in the hope that it helps with your questions

My setup is as follows:

Sound Devices 552

2 x UCR411a/SMQa Block 27

SRa5P/2 x SMa Block 24

Zaxcom QRS100s/TRX900AA w/STA150

The only major issue I have found so far is that I needed to move my SRa5P as far away as possible from my 411s. I can scan when they are close and get a lot of RFI, and when I move the SRa5P away from the 411's the scan is far less crowded.

Apart from that, the SRa5P seems reliable in both the bag and as a link. I have used the SRa5P w/battery sled as a link with EX3 cameras, with my UCR411's as talent wireless.

I have used the the Sr's or SRa's in thebag on several shows.  Usually in conjunction with a 788t to keep the track count high and back ache's low.  While in stereo mode the distance is definitely not as good as a 411 system, but generally speaking it's more than adequate fora reality show.  I find the tx's are almost never out of range or too close to me in most situations.  Assuming you've taken the time to  properly setup your freqs for intermod and with the channel 1 getting the lower freq and channel 2 getting the higher freq.  (This is important).  If you're mixing in the bag and changing freqs that you have saved for multiple tx's then it can get tricky trying to stick to this rule.  As with all of the jobs I've done using the 788t and the Sr's this hasn't been an issue as changing the freqs on the fly was necessary.

As of yesterday I just bought my first SRa and did so simply to lighten my bag.  And it gives me the ability to have a 4th wireless if needed.  So now it's the 442 with 2 411's and an SRa.  Used it today and it works great in Ratio diversity.  Just as good as my 411's.  My only dislike is that there isn't a voltage reading for tx's other than the the little battery icon.  I prefer to see the actual voltage read out.  Helps me to decide when I really need to change a battery.

Jason Hemmerlin

• 3 weeks later...

Allright so today was the first day with my new SRa/788 bag.  Here is a list of what i had and what i now have:

Before:

788t/CL8 SSd

6x Lectrosonics UCR411a block 21

1x Sra BLock 22

Now:

788t/CL8 SSd

2x SRa BLock 21

2x SRa Block 22

Today was a shoot that started with following or main character in a Hockey arena, prepping the ice.  THen we miced up 7 players plus a wireless boom ( for my boom op ) and they played a game.  Then we followed them to a tavern where they had lunch and that was it.

Basically had done the same day last week in the same location with the same peoples BUT with the old kit.  All was fine then, and guess what.....  ALL WAS FINE TODAY ALSO!!!!  Better, my back is feeling great.

Both system were using UFM50 block specific RF amps and Mini-Circuits splitters ( 8 way for the first kit with the UFM set at 12db of gain and 4 way for the second with the UFM set at 8 db of gain both playing at near unity gain ).  Also i am using Custom Coax dipole antenna on my shouders ( made by me with specification from Joe Burtinsky from Lectros Canada ).

System is really promising.

Ill keep posting my results as i am shooting for the next 3 weeks in serious situation for the same Hockey documentary.

Pascal alias happy back man....

And more news.  After weighting the bag it is showing at slightly less then my old bag ( 552 bag ).

SO a 12 track recorder/TImecode/8x wireless/Camera hop/Comtek/Antenna distro bag weights less then a 5 input mixer/4x wireless/camera hop/Comtek bag.

All with better range and a lot more punch.....

I am sold...

Pascal