wierd+funny?

soundtrane

from post:

<<<<It is best from our point of view that he record a layout on a Fostex

hard disk 8 track recorder (exact model # unknown) having both the

isolated tracks and the dailies mixed tracks all on the SAME UNIT.  That

is, to record a maximum of 8 tracks, and if he needs to go over that, to

record the extra two tracks on his Nagra recorder.>>>>

this is a scenario of a Fostex 824 as main recorder and a Nagra V as second recorder (for dailies). i think this is wierd and funny at the same time.

also they had some stuff about CMX rather than OMF, and from what i read in their email, they were not fixed on either themselves. I thought CMX was passe.

comments?

-vin

from post:

<<<<It is best from our point of view that he record a layout on a Fostex

hard disk 8 track recorder (exact model # unknown) having both the

isolated tracks and the dailies mixed tracks all on the SAME UNIT.  That

is, to record a maximum of 8 tracks, and if he needs to go over that, to

record the extra two tracks on his Nagra recorder.>>>>

this is a scenario of a Fostex 824 as main recorder and a Nagra V as second recorder (for dailies). i think this is wierd and funny at the same time.

also they had some stuff about CMX rather than OMF, and from what i read in their email, they were not fixed on either themselves. I thought CMX was passe.

comments?

-vin

CMX and OMF refere to two very different things.  When they say CMX they are probably referring to a CMX-format EDL, probably for use in conforming the original audio to the edit.  OMF, as you know, refers to a way of exporting the audio+video edit from an edit system along with the consolidated media, which then opens on the target system with the file naming, cuts, track layout, handles and a few other aspects (depending on the systems in use) intact.

Philip Perkins

Hi Phil

Yes, I was aware of the difference between CMX and OMF, in fact one can just export/import only audio with OMF. However, the main thing here is how post wants ISO tracks on different machines if the track count increases and is ok with this, but wants the Mix tracks on the same machine. that is what i found wierd.

best

-vin

Hi Phil

Yes, I was aware of the difference between CMX and OMF, in fact one can just export/import only audio with OMF. However, the main thing here is how post wants ISO tracks on different machines if the track count increases and is ok with this, but wants the Mix tracks on the same machine. that is what i found wierd.

best

-vin

Actually you can import video w/ OMF as well.  I guess they figure that you won't get to 7 or 8 tracks very often, and that the benefit of having a single audio element for most of the project's location sound outweighs the extra hassle of having iso tracks 7/8 on a 2nd machine: overall less material for them to deal with.  They may also be intending to load all your tracks into the picture edit system, so they can sound cut on that same system and then OMF out the whole stack w/o going to a conform to get to your isos in audio post.  Their way, most of the time they only have to load one disc, the way most of us do this sort of work (2 tr dailies disc and separate iso disc) would mean they'd have to load and sync two discs for every shooting day.  So I see their logic, but as a production mixer I would prefer to work the way we usually do--with a 2 tr. dailies mix turned in every day and the isos delivered on a separate disc, and maybe not every day (like via a HD etc). 

Philip Perkins