Apple's Steve Jobs Takes Medical Leave But Remains CEO (1/2011)

Very troubling news story:

CNBC

Engadget

Mac Rumors

CNN

I'd like to wish the best for the guy. Pancreatic cancer is so tough to overcome -- he's beaten it for almost seven years, but it's a persistent, deadly disease.

I've been a long-time Jobs observer -- I won't call myself a fan, because I think the man's frustrating, difficult, argumentative, and capable of being very abusive, according to friends of mine who know him personally. But I also think he's one of the most brilliant men of the last 20 years, somebody who truly changed the world in many ways.

I've often said, "if he only made Pixar a success, or just made the Mac, or just invented the iPod... any one of these things would have made him a genius many times over. The fact that he pulled off all three is incredible." His brilliant design sense and gut instincts have consistently impressed the hell out of me.

Apple's stock has already dropped about 7%. I hope Jobs can somehow find a way to hang on, but the news reports are not optimistic.

--Marc W.