FAT 16

obie2

Recently I upgraded to a Deva V, which I am now wondering why I waited so long,but now comes the question of what to do with my Deva II, I am getting the impression that FAT 16 is becoming either obsolete or at least something that  creates havoc at Post houses. I also got the feeling from some earlier posts somewhwere that newer Fostex DV40's can not read FAT 16, is this correct ? I was thinking of doing away with a DAT back-up which I do out of habit and use the Deva II as a backup. Though I have never lost audio with either Deva, hard drives do fail and I do feel the need to have a second machine on the cart. It seems using FAT 16 as a backup when everything was recorded at FAT 32 is a bad idea. Would love to hear from the Post side of things as well as from Mixers who find themselves in a similar situation. It makes it harder since recently I had a case stolen with all my Deva II cables and extra hard drives, as if that has any value to anyone the street.

Thanks

David Obermeyer

The Deva 2 would make a great backup machine, however you can still get a good price for it used and run something much cheaper as a backup.  For 2 tracks only a Tascam P2 works very well (w/ TC from your new Deva) and costs only about $900 new.  An SD 702T is a great machine on it's own and is about $2500.  You could get a Mac Mini, a Traveler and run Boom Recorder for under $2400 I bet.  I think you could get much more than that for your Deva 2 if it is in good shape.  I still hear of lots of Deva 2s being used on jobs, and they don't seem to last long on the consignment pages.

Philip Perkins

I used the Deva II for a number of years before I switched to the V. The post house that deals with my work on the Deva V still has the means to use the backup drive from the Deva II as and when necessary, (so far never), so for me the V and II are a good system. I asked Glen Sanders a while ago if Zaxcom intended to continue to support the II and he affirmed so I'll stick with this double Deva system until Glen's next technological breakthrough....due next week I think...

Regards

Mick

FAT16 is certainly on its way out but i wouldn't see that as reason for ditching the Deva II just yet. what a great machine still, for what it's worth. i'd hold onto it just to hold on to a piece of sound history. if you're going the route of Tascam HD-P2 or Edirol R-4 Pro or SD 7 series, it's not that much of a financial hit to pick one up, and keep the Deva. i talk to mixers that use Deva II as backup all the time and i haven't seen it being a huge problem with post. granted i'm more on the production side of things so my insight is somewhat limited.