Zaxcom ZFR100 as a backup recorder

snd.waves

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone is using the Zax ZFR100 recorder as a backup in a wireless links setup. I fried my Sony PCMd50, and need a replacement, thought this could be a good upgrade, esp with timecode. While there are many differences between the units, one thing I noticed is there isn't a remote for the ZFR100, quite useful in the bag.

all thoughts are welcome :)

I actually do use a Zaxcom ZFR100 as a backup recorder in my bag. I feed it from the TA-3 left/right outs on the SD442 mixer. Remote Audio makes cables suited for this, with resistors to help the TA-3 impedance balanced outputs work with the ZFR100's stereo adapter (STA100).

The recorder records well and reliably, and does not lose a file if power is lost in mid-recording. I have rarely used it with timecode, but the few times I did, once I had the menu set correctly, it did jam easily from a camera. But I think it loses timecode when it is turned off (I would need to confirm this).

Just recently, I used the ZFR100 to output timecode to the audio track of another flash recorder. This was part of an experiment for transcription purposes. When I sent the audio file to a transcriptionist, she said that the timecode "audio" was unreadable by her timecode reader. I looked at its waveform in audio software and saw that it does look different from normal timecode; and it also sounds different. When I sent the transcriptionist a recording made with timecode from a Panasonic camera, she could read that timecode just fine. So, as of now, I don't know if the ZFR100's timecode output is useable. But this bears further investigation.

The headphone output is a mono mix only.

I have the regular STA100 adapter, and cables connect to it very awkwardly. While the ZFR100 is small, it's cable connections make it very unwieldy in the audio bag. I know that right-angle connectors are available, but I don't have them. Still, even with rt. angle connectors, I think the recorder would be hard to mount in the bag in a way that would let you see the meters. Sometimes I velcro my ZFR100 to the top of my NP-1 battery cap so I can see its LCD screen. But usually it sits fairly buried in the bag, with its LCD screen pressed against the side of the bag. In that position, I can reach the Rec and Stop buttons, and see from the LED on its top if it's recording -- and, indeed, the recorder needs to be buried in the shade of the bag if I am to read this LED on a sunny day. If anyone has better ideas on how to use it in the bag, let me know.

Audio files from the ZFR100 need to be processed by Zaxconvert software in your computer. You can make .wav or .mp3 files this way. But this extra step means you can't easily hand off the SD flash card to a producer for making a transcription. When a transcription recording is necessary, I use a different flash recorder.

The ZFR100 uses mini SD cards. I bought several when I bought the recorder, but I have not checked their availability in a while. Also, only certain brands and speeds of cards will work in the recorder. Make sure you can get the correct cards before you buy it.

In summary, I don't necessarily recommend the ZFR100. But I don't know what a better option really is for the price, which is over $1000 with the STA adapter.