cable organization

al mcguire

it used to be easy

mic cables and a few gazintas/gazaoutas and we were set

and then came ta3's and ta5's, timecode lemo and bnc, balanced, unbalanced, stereo, mono, padded

red cables, sennheiser cables and now arri cables

how do folks organize all these cables so they are findable and don't take up a pelican 1650 case ?

• 3 weeks later...

I too struggle with this issue, and am in transition.

For the first year integrating the 788 and Zax gear -- with all their associated new ta3/ta5 cables -- into the cart and associated setups, I had one smaller case with all those cables and adapters handy, sorted by unit/manufacturer, in ziplock bags.

More comfortable now, I still have more 'emergency cables' at hand on the main cart than ever. They no longer fit in a small zippered case and are loose in a drawer.

The rest of the cables are sorted by connector and stored in many more zip-lock freezer baggies than I would prefer, all in one ever-larger case.

-- Jan

Just found some nice zippered fabric pouches/bags at Sears.  I didn't purchase any yet but will soon.  They come in four or so colors and have a water resistant coating on the inside.  Size is roughly six to eight inches long by about five or six inches high.  They are called Tool Choice tool pouches.  I looked for a link on the Sears site but couldn't find one.  They sell slightly larger bags with similar design at Walmart for around $4.00.  The Sears bags are $2.00 and have a clear window for inserting a label.  They also have a small loop at one corner which could be used to secure them to something.  Right now i'm using the ones from Walmart for adaptors and small cables etc.  I'll post a picture when I get a chance.  The Walmart choice doesn't have a way to label what's inside, or a loop on the corner.

Best,

Bernie

I just bought a couple of these and I really like them.  They're lightweight, well built, and come in a variety of colors so you can easily tell them apart.

One side is mesh and the other side is a plastic coated mesh, so you can see what's inside.

I was about to post the same product, but from REI, Marc.

They come in single and double sided as well as in straight zipper pouches in several sizes and colors. I've been using them for years. They wear very well and I have only had to replace one of the many I own. An overly enthusiastic luggage screener crunched the zipper of one of the envelope style pouches in a case valence and it was cheaper to replace than repair.

Best regards,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Use several of these binder, organizers from Bass Pro Shops - small one for connectors and larger ones for cable adapters. Easy to organize. Easy to see. Easy to carry around.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37109_999043014_100000000_999043012?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Just had a trip to bass pro shops.  I bought a "tackle binder"---- Perfect!  Organizes my smaller critical and expensive little cables.  I will buy more.  I question the durability of the zip lock type pages but they are cheap and easy to get. 

Thanks for the tip!

Cabela's also makes a very rugged tackle binder which I just picked up.  There are two sizes, I chose the small one, its too small though.. Even with just one cable in each pouch it gets almost too fat to zip the thing closed.  Build quality is excellent though.

I bought a bunch of cheap $1 pencil holders from Batrel Drugs.  I have about 6 different colors.  I use the colors to separate the types of cables, then label the out side of the bag with what cables are in them. My cables take up the better part of a storm i2700 and break my back every time I have to carry them :)

Kelsey

• 3 years later...

Just saw these bags at MEC (Toronto) for small cables. It's not one per case a la fishing binders. It'll suit my purposes. The see though mesh helps. The "window pouch 3" seems tougher to me:

http://www.onsightequipment.com/window-pouch

http://www.onsightequipment.com/universal-pouch

Same idea as posted previously with a bit of an environmental slant.

^^^I'll second that as pretty much my system as well. Cheap and easy to see whats in each bag. 

Use a similar system for my TX accessories. Lately been thinking of getting different coloured zip lock backs to help differentiate what accessories are for each particular brand of mic.

post-741-0-23243700-1386719387_thumb.jpg

I'm still working out the exact system for what goes in each bag.  Once I do I'll write the cable types on the outside of the window.  I like this system because it's modular and I can flip through them like a book to find the cable I'm looking for.  If I want to have a certain group of cables on hand all day, rather than in the peli, the rings can open and I can just take the pouch I need.