Solutions for iPod/Laptop to Balanced XLR

RPSharman

Hello,

I am playing around with the cart, and am looking for a better solution to run laptop/iPod 3.5mm into a single XLR input on the board (summing L/R).

I'll take advice as simple as making a 3.5mm TRS to XLR cable, or going through something like...

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/368970.html

What do you think?

Robert

This is really for basic playback or listening to music through my board.

Thanks,

Robert

I would personally just make the cable.

I made a cable like this  (TRS to 2x xlr) last year for a job.

iPhone (iPod) right into a 788T.

Sounded absolutely fine and if you're just using this for entertainment this would work great.

I do like the looks of that whirlwind product though!

Looks awesome, yet rather expensive.  I think for my purposes the Whirlwind solutions might be the way to go.

This is really for basic playback or listening to music through my board.

Thanks,

Robert

Yes, expensive indeed. 

This is what I use at my church and for PB situations on set.  Just plug a balanced TRS to mini from IPOD to Input, flip the necessary switches and you're done.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/301821.html

Robert,

If you want to make the cable I would give this sound devices tech note a read.  It describes making a cable to provide a mono output by summing the unbalanced tape out (available as a ta3 connection on the 302). 

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/302/302-tech-note-adding-a-mono-mic-level-output/

You could easily apply this to a cable made for the ipod and get the mono mix you need.

Best,

dh

I have that cable, Chris.  But hoping for summing L/R into single balanced XLR.  Don't want to tie up 2 inputs on the board, etc.

Robert you can wire it that way.

Here's one premade I found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-TRS-3-5mm-Stereo-XLR-Male-Audio-Cable-3FT-H1014-/300522142205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f883f9fd

Of course it wouldnt have a transformer in it but someone else would have to

chime in to discuss whether it would be necessary in this type situation for long term use like

you plan to use it for.

I have made that cable, and it is currently in use, but was thinking about if it was "professional" enough for long-term use, as you wrote.

It was suggested a 600 ohm transformer barrel be placed in line, and I have been warned that accidentally activating P48v would destroy the iPod/iPhone.

Robert

That Rolls box is cool.

I got more information about the ISOPOD from Whirlwind.  It is a BRAND NEW product, so very little info anywhere.  Waiting for pricing and availability.  Full retail, I think, will be $59.95 according to tech at Whirlwind.

"Hello from Whirlwind,

Yes, directly connecting the two outputs of the iPod (or similar device) to the XLR is not ideal for two reasons:

1) The outputs are connected to each other which causes each output to see a very low impedance of the other output. So each one tries to drive this low impedance which causes them to generate too much current and possibly damage an output as well as causing distortion of the signal.

2) You now have an unbalanced line which is more susceptible to picking up unwanted hums and buzzes.

The ISOPOD is a two stage passive device. First, the two channels are combined to mono with a resistive circuit that properly sums the signals. Then, that unbalanced mono signal is passed to a transformer that takes the signal and converts it to a balanced low impedance signal which is much more suitable for driving long lines, say from a stage down a snake to a remote mixer."

Robert

but since the AT one is meant to be used from XLR input to the mini-jack as an output they have shortened tip and ring which is fine if one goes into smthing. But Robert wants to come out of the ipod and therefor would use the mini-jack as the input. Shortening tip and ring there would shortening the output of his ipod, which quite often sounds fine but some resistors between are highly recommended - as advised in the SD tech note (and which could be soldered into the AT version).

Matthias