Work in Vancouver, BC?

Hi all,

Adam Sanchez here. I'm an IATSE 52 sound utility and boom op with over 9 years in the business in NYC and Philadelphia.

My wife has just received an acceptance letter to UBC. It looks like there's a good chance we're on the move.

Any friendly Canadians out there want to give me some advice (other than 'go away' or 'F.O.')?

A

A,

My sister moved to Canada some years ago.  Her husband (now ex) had been given the job of Dean of Social Work at the University of Toronto.  They bought a house.  She had been married to him for several years (he was a Canadian living in Hawaii), and they had 2 children.  Even with this, it took my sister a great deal of time and effort to become eligible to work in Canada.  It's not like here in the U.S., where it seems becoming eligible to work is quite easy (perhaps I'm wrong).  Perhaps a call to the IATSE in Vancouver would be wise.

From what I hear, Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world.  So if you are unable to work right away, at least you will be unemployed in an amazing city.

Good luck and enjoy.

As an ex-patriot from Canada, I can give you some insight.

First you must have a Canadian work permit.

To get the work permit, you will need a job offer - to get the job offer you will need the blessing of the Vancouver IA local, etc.

By the way, not much differant from U.S. immigration. The difference that Robert seems to think makes it easy, is that in the U.S. it is usually Producers or Studios with great lawyers making the pitch for the above or below the line talent.

Once you are eligible to work in Canada, then your next and biggest hurdle will be the Vancouver IA local. They have many road blocks to letting you work. This is probably not any more differant from Local 52's policy either.  You might have to apply for membership, it could be easier or as hard to get in as 52?

Adam, once you get up there I recommend you get yourself around to as many Vancouver mixers and boom operators as you can friend. The pool of mixers and boom operators is no where as deep as either Los Angeles or New York. If you are there when it is extremely busy and the local is in need of your talents, the task could be easier.

I expect those living in Vancouver and the rest of Canada will chime in.

Good luck.

You can apply for a "Sister Local Status" transfer into Local 891,  which will put you ahead of many hundreds (probably thousands) of Permitees.

http://iatse.com/public/applications/SNDAPP.pdf

There's a second film Union in Vancouver, the ACFC. It's got somewhat of a lock on the low budget stuff. Guys aren't supposed to work ACFC gigs if they're IA.....but the reality is that a great many do (gotta eat).

http://www.acfcwest.com/pdf/ACFC%20West%20Brochure%202003.pdf

Vancouver was at one time able to field around 20+ full motion picture crews at once (as in all in one day). Those were some pretty flush times up here, but they're somewhat in the past now. Still lots of work, but much of it is dependent on the Canadian vs U.S. dollar, and what other perks are being offered in various provinces and states in terms of tax breaks, etc.

Your best shot is to work both IA and ACFC gigs, and hope that in the few (or more) years it takes to get to full membership, and get some steady IA work, you can make a somewhat steady work week.

Vancouver is a city unlike any other in North America. You can die of exposure or get attacked by a bear by walking 5 minutes from some of the most expensive homes in North America.

But then you can also sail in the morning, and snow ski that afternoon throughout much of the winter (and still be home for dinner) you can see the ski hill from the deck of your boat, and see the sailboats while sking down "The Cut"........with the snow staying up on the mountains most of the winter, and out of the city (not much snow to speak of in Vancouver City proper).

I.A #891 is one of the largest, best funded, and strong I.A. film locals anywhere in North America. A million bucks cash reserve in the bank, and a large, full time crew of Stewards and administrative support...........once you're in, it's a good place to be........the Local, and the City.

Dick,

Thanks a lot. I had kind of assumed that that was the case. I didnt know there were two unions in Vancouver. Interesting.

I'm planning on taking a trip to check things out toward the end of the summer. By then, we will have a better idea. She's still waiting to hear from UCLA, Berkeley, and NYU, which could change the game entirely.

A

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure you have researched this already,but just in case...

In terms of getting a work permit from the government of Canada you do not need to have an invitation from a company or a union. You can apply for an Open Work Permit.

"To be eligible for an Open Work Permit, the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student cannot themselves be full-time students and must demonstrate that:

• the foreign student is studying full-time at a diploma/degree-granting, publicly-funded post-secondary educational facility; or

• the foreign student has graduated and is the holder of a valid work permit for a job related to his/her studies.

For spouses and common-law partners, Open Work Permits are generally issued with a validity date that coincides with the period of time that their spouse is permitted to work or study in Canada, as the case may be."

From my experience it is actually a lot easier to get a work visa in Canada than in US,so I wouldn't worry too much about getting legal permission from the government.