NYC Commerical Cart 1

tomholman

HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR ALL

Everyone seems to love cart pictures.  I know I do.  Here’s mine:

I built it in 2000, six months start to finish.  My friends let me move into their machine shop for two months during the actor’s strike.  It’s all aluminum, mostly ½” x 1” tubing, V cut, welded and ground, machine parts and powder coated.  It’s on aircraft suspension.

post-398-130815074214_thumb.jpg

post-398-130815074222_thumb.jpg

Clear plexi top w/ Audio ltds, spkr. & Comtex xmitter. Tilt down shelf for video monitor and recorder w/ LED lighting, power & playback switching. Cooper 208 mixer.  Script & notes drawer. BU recorder, CD & mini disc, etc. in drawer. Radio drawer. Main case drawer. Tilt out slate box, fold up side shelves. All active equipment drawers have cable bridges. Cables and larger stuff in bottom “junk drawer”.  No other cases. Well 1 – a new client Comtec receiver case w/ legs

post-398-130815074197_thumb.jpg

post-398-130815074203_thumb.jpg

post-398-130815074207_thumb.jpg

Base footprint 18” x 18”, overall 21” x 21”.  We get a lot of very tight locations in NYC.  I do carry a complete back up system, my “Road Tray” HHB recorder, Cooper, boom com, 2 audio limited ltd’s, Comtec and vid. monitor. About the size of a shoe box .  Great for car shots. fits in a small case which lives in the van with spares, extra booms, cables, etc.

post-398-130815074185_thumb.jpg

post-398-130815074191_thumb.jpg

The cart was designed around the new Cooper. After six years, it’s held up well as you can see.  Works great for me.

I am now planning a move to non-linear to keep up with you young guys.  Don’t want to take a hacksaw to it, so planning the modifications carefully.

Thanks so much for your help on this nice forum, and again I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,

Tom

post-398-130815074167_thumb.jpg

post-398-130815074173_thumb.jpg

post-398-130815074178_thumb.jpg

HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR ALL

Everyone seems to love cart pictures.  I know I do.

Very nice cart --- I do love cart pictures! I have one question regarding the aluminum frame/structure which looks to be machined, extruded, cast or something (and alll poweder coated gray so I really can't tell) --- what is it? I like the Cooper 208 being out in the open (instead of on a sliding shelf as it is in my cart) but not really out in the open since you seem to have provided some protection.

Thanks for posting ALL those images --- I really like seeing other people's efforts (and it often serves to motivate and inspire me).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Excellent CART!  FWIW, I love seeing nice big, clear pics.

The thing I like most about your rig, it is not overcomplicated.  Some guys strive for the ultimate in flexibility, but in my experience...that just leads to over-complex carts/rigs.

As far as breaking new ground into non-linear...the SD recorders (702T & 744T) or a DEVA would fit nicely in the place of your PortaDat, without any "hacking"!

-Jason

Guest tourtelot

Hey Tom-

Please say "hi" to Nick for me.  He and I worked together many, many years ago with Francis Daniel mixing (RIP!) on some silly TV movie with Sophia Loren.  The thing I remember most about the shoot was a two (or maybe three!) block dolly shot down 6th Avenue ACROSS 42nd Street, track all the way, which Nick boomed wired.  Wireless were pretty dodgy then, and for a young utility, it was a heck of a lot of cable; I think I comported myself well.  Didn't trip anyone and didn't get the cable under the dolly wheels!  Whoooo.

D.

Hi All.

Happy New Year to all

i love cart pixs and more the merrier, cos i get to learn and know what my fellow pros are using and what fellow unfortunate ones do without and still get the job done

as they say A PIC CONVEYS A THOUSAND WORDS

well drop in and ask questions too

may we have a design for the ultimate cart very soon and oh yes affordable too everywhere

Hari

Gee, this is fun.

Thanks for the observations and kind words!

Jeff; while designing the cart I wanted to keep it as narrow  & light as possible. I built the hole cart full scale in wood first (even the Cooper 208 in 1/8" plywood). The half" by one" alum. tubing (1/8" wall) is very strong & lite.

The boys in the shop pointed out that it would be easier to machine the top section sides out of a solid plate of 3/8" Alum. (rather than weld a lot of small pieces - which warp). The machined groves are to reduce weight, make the plate function more like an "I beam", recess fasteners so they are flush & look cool! BTW the Cooper is so stoutly built it actually serves as part of the structure.  The entire top section slides out like your mixer but everything moves with it. Actually the entire top section can slide off (for air shipment, etc.) but I built the "Road Tray" instead & never do take it off. I also learned that the bent plexi top is so strong it does not need an additional metal frame.

Jason, Thanks for that good advise, I've been getting a little too nutty over the non-lin options!

John, One speaker at me (over recorder), the back one is for (light) playback toward Director/Script & sometimes for me to say "speed" via the slate mic. Very small, they are Motorola from an old cellphone car kit, sound great & pretty loud. Don't use them that much but they do come in handy.

Best,

Tom

The boys in the shop pointed out that it would be easier to machine the top section sides out of a solid plate of 3/8" Alum. (rather than weld a lot of small pieces - which warp). The machined groves are to reduce weight, make the plate function more like an "I beam", recess fasteners so they are flush & look cool!

Tom

The top structure sides did look like they were machined from solid plate, rather than constructed from channel stock, but I just couldn't believe you were fortunate enough to have those things machined. They do give the cart a very classy look, unique I believe, to your cart. Good show.

- JW

Someone already beat you to it. haha

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3117092208598250564&q=pimped+cart&hl=en

I think that guy used to be a sound mixer but some hot shot producer questioned him about how he could work out of a SHOPPING cart. He said he used to use a Magliner but some homeless crazy stole it one day (maybe the chance to "move up" from the shopping cart?).

-  JW

Pretty.  How do you get it into your station wagon?  Ramps?  I especially love the special slate holder on the back.  Changing to an NL recorder shouldn't be much of a deal.  SD recorders are about half the height of the HHB DAT and not as wide--you should have room for both a 7-series recorder and a DVD-RAM drive in the space the HHB used to use.  A Deva is a little bigger, maybe you could adjust the shelf a little, probably an inch or so.  Finding a place for a keyboard and/or a laptop strains everyone's creativity--it's why I ended up back w/ a Magliner type cart so I had more "desk space".  What do you do for antennae?

thanks for posting

Philip Perkins