New Zaxcom recorder

bigmaho

I'm not sure I should post this because there is so little I can say, but Glenn just stopped by with the first fully functional model of his new recorder.  He just wanted to run it by me for any last minute suggestions.  I only had one minor one.  Mostly I was amazed at the little beast.  So I ordered one.  It's a game changer.  For me it will mean complicated car rigs and remote rigs will need 2 pieces of gear (that can mate together as one) instead of the many I use now that have to be jury rigged together.  Could have used it the other day! 

Sorry for the vagueness.  As soon as I'm allowed I'll tell more.

Billy Sarokin

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Oleg,

I debated posting because there was so little I could say, but after I decided to buy it I figured that alone was post worthy.  It's a tough call whether I am doing a service or a dis-service to our community.  While maybe someone will put off purchasing a 788, they might also put off purchasing a Fusion or Deva.  I don't think this either helps or hurts Zaxcom.  Glenn knows I'm posting but he didn't ask me.  All he asked was that I not post any details until the company officially announces the machine.  So all I have really said is that it exists, it functions, it's groundbreaking,  I put my money down and how I intend to use it.  One effect it will have on you, as an equipment dealer, I think the second hand market is going to light up when this machine is released.

Best,

Billy Sarokin

you  never  say ever what you not suppose to :-)

nice move  by Glenn , making you be the horn of " hold off on your 788 "

Billy these stupid games by zaxcom  never  did any thing good and cock teasing it is not really  make you any points either :-)

Hey Oleg,

I debated posting because there was so little I could say, but after I decided to buy it I figured that alone was post worthy.  It's a tough call whether I am doing a service or a dis-service to our community.  While maybe someone will put off purchasing a 788, they might also put off purchasing a Fusion or Deva.  I don't think this either helps or hurts Zaxcom.  Glenn knows I'm posting but he didn't ask me.  All he asked was that I not post any details until the company officially announces the machine.  So all I have really said is that it exists, it functions, it's groundbreaking,  I put my money down and how I intend to use it.  One effect it will have on you, as an equipment dealer, I think the second hand market is going to light up when this machine is released.

Best,

Billy Sarokin

I put off making a multi-track recorder purchase because of this new Zaxcom unit, but it's been almost a year since I first heard of it, and had made that decision then.  The price point from what I've heard is worth the wait.  So that should be good news for Oleg, who is always looking for a way to get something for nothing.

Jason Hemmerlin

Jason Hemmerlin

Since it's being shown, sold, and publicly discussed, there should be no problem in saying that it is Zaxcom's ENG mixer/recorder response to the Sound Devices 552 with pay-per-option of 4, 6, or 8 tracks. No touch screen, instead using a joy stick and smaller display, so it falls short of the Fusion and Deva recorders. It pays tribute to the Cantar with IN/OUT connectors on a recessed back panel. It is unavailable and not field tested.

Billy, I have to question the motivation and challenge the judgement. History has shown that it usually serves no one, not even the manufacturer, and especially not the consumer, to tease with a product that is not available, particularly with an average track record of two years from public tease. Waiting until it is available serves the entire industry, even the manufacturer, and especially the consumer.

Glen Trew

Hi Glen,

My judgement is always being questioned, so no contest there, as for motivation I figure some information is better than no information.  If it was vapor-ware I'd totally agree about the tease.  Like you've I've known for quite a while that this was in the works but figuring it was designed as an ENG unit I had little interest.  What's noteworthy is that the machine exists, and not as a prototype, and I had extreme interest (it took me about 20 seconds to decide to purchase it).  And to answer one specific question, if Zaxcom includes time code in their radio mics, I cannot imagine that they would build a recorder without full time code capability.

Glen's description is accurate except I didn't see a joy stick.

Billy Sarokin

Since it's being shown, sold, and publicly discussed, there should be no problem in saying that it is Zaxcom's ENG mixer/recorder response to the Sound Devices 552 with pay-per-option of 4, 6, or 8 tracks. No touch screen, instead using a joy stick and smaller display, so it falls short of the Fusion and Deva recorders. It pays tribute to the Cantar with IN/OUT connectors on a recessed back panel. It is unavailable and not field tested.

Billy, I have to question the motivation and challenge the judgement. History has shown that it usually serves no one, not even the manufacturer, and especially not the consumer, to tease with a product that is not available, particularly with an average track record of two years from public tease. Waiting until it is available serves the entire industry, even the manufacturer, and especially the consumer.

Glen Trew

...what's noteworthy is that the machine exists, and not as a prototype...

Billy Sarokin

History has often shown, NAB after NAB, that a little information can be harmful, particularly when it is calculated to obstruct the market, and especially when it's misleading. What Billy just described is what a prototype is: a limited run for development, not for sale. At the consumer's expense, too often the illusion of a competitive edge is too much for a manufacturer or desperate reseller to resist, though I've never seen it have a positive impact on anyone's success, as it stagnates momentum of a new product when the eluded to delivery dates are exceeded by months and often years. After decades of being on all sides of this scenario, and with the best interests of the end-user in mind, my advice remains: When it comes to buying equipment, buy the best you can when you need it.

Glen Trew

Glen Trew