New Zaxcom recorder

bigmaho

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... people know about the "mixer/recorder"... THE NOMAD...... and won't talk about it.....I can't wait until NAB,,, Oh-Boy!

I hope Zaxcom decided to use standard Wav PCM recording format.....nothing like doing an ENG job and having some backup or iso tracks (we don't know ... wait until NAB) and having the Producer/Director/Editor ask for the files.... he copies the entire card and asks why it took so long and why they don't open... "It's easy, all you have to do is download this special software and then open the files and they will become the right ones that you need."

The reply will be.. "huh?.... I'm sure the camera track mix will be fine, thanks anyway"

Petrol and Portabrace better get on this right away, as this NOMAD will be selling right away.....you will even get a discount coupon (dealer price) at NAB just for stopping by for a look.

post-3524-130815093829_thumb.jpg

There's probably a good reason for that (zax files vs pcm/wav). Probably to include all the metadata... Anybody ?

While we're at the bets, mine is that's it's gonna be a transmixer (following the idea of that line of transceivers they got). Stereo or 4 digital channels out (QRX). Possibly upgradable firmware, then board as time goes on. Dial-in TOD master clock included (bye bye deneckes).

As for my hope: not going to have to wait 6 more months to be able to get it in our bags so we can spend next summer with that new beast.

I hope Zaxcom decided to use standard Wav PCM recording format.....nothing like doing an ENG job and having some backup or iso tracks (we don't know ... wait until NAB) and having the Producer/Director/Editor ask for the files.... he copies the entire card and asks why it took so long and why they don't open... "It's easy, all you have to do is download this special software and then open the files and they will become the right ones that you need."

The reply will be.. "huh?.... I'm sure the camera track mix will be fine, thanks anyway"

When the Producer/Director/Editor asks for the files, give them the proper files that will work with their Producer/Director/Editor editing system, then they will be happy with your work. If you hand over files they cannot use or are not in the proper requested format for them, then you have not done your job properly and they will resort to using the cameras tracks. Any job that I do I make sure that I can deliver to the Producer/Director/Editor the sound that they can use.

Well, Jeff... yes.... of course this is what you want to do. But if Nomad is an ENG mixer....now sound is required to bring a laptop to convert files.

I am sure that Nomad, like every other Zaxcom recorder, will provide for a deliverable media that can be accessed and read by any editing system or computer (eg., bwf files), you will not be required to bring a laptop of your own and do conversions before handing over your sound.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff, Angelo Waldron was spot on in his remark about producers in the ENG world stating things to the effect, as Angelo worded it, "The reply will be.. "huh?.... I'm sure the camera track mix will be fine, thanks anyway".

Unlike the film business, that many here on this board work in, the ENG/EFP world, the world I've worked in for 23 years, is filled with many non-technical people with which we ENG/EFP sound techs must interface with. To Angelo's point, producers in the ENG/EFP world generally have little tolerance for tech talk, particularly if it takes more than a few moments to explain.

So, as Angelo suggested, any recorder we use in this environment, whether for picture or sound, must record files that require no transcoding. Any sound recorder designed for this environment must do everything quickly, under the messiest and meanest conditions, in a simple straightforward fashion.

As for the Nomad, it sounds like many on this board have a desire to replace their present "film-centric" recorders with it, or they do enough ENG/EFP work to justify wanting one, if it delivers the "desired" features. Could that mean we ENG/EFP types are unimpressed with what is currently available to us? I know I am.

If you look at Zaxcom's website it states, "A revolutionary small footprint mixer / recorder for ENG/EFP production". It sure seems like Zaxcom is letting everyone know exactly what this thing is suited for.

Larry

The thing being missed here is that for the first time in Zaxcom's entire history of releasing products, they were finally doing it the "right" way.  I was amazed.  Colleen was in charge of security and had the lid on tight.  The smartest thing Zaxcom did was to not tell me much, because I'm a known serial blabber.  Even Robert Kennedy wouldn't tell me anything.  There was always word of it floating around to some degree, because if two people know something, it's not going to be a secret anymore.  Then the cat got out of the bag more or less by all the beta people's opinions for their first looks and the recent rumors they whispered.  Now Billy's posting let the cat out of the bag.  I don't know how that went over with Colleen, but all I know is that Glen has a black eye and Colleen's knuckles are swollen.

The fact is that Zaxcom used to announce products over a year in advance, when it was still vaporware.  This time, they were actually doing everything the "right" way.  They made the prototype and spent many months refining it and getting input from a very few people.  Now, as they hit the beta-test and software stage, it's pretty hard to keep this a secret.  It's now being shown around to many users under the table, with promises to not tell anyone which won't be kept.  At this point, is it better to let out all the news or not?  What does everyone think?  Should Zaxcom let all the information out now or wait?

Still, they did keep the new product under wraps for over a year and there's really not much damage knowing it's on the way now.  At this point, the news is not as quiet as a few, like Sound Devices (who keep things under wraps better than the Pentagon), but is par with about the same timing as most manufacturers.

I am sure that for their next product, Zaxcom will hold out even longer.  Oops, did I just say next product?  Don't tell anyone.

John, the "right way" is to have multiple units field tested, published specs, evaluation units available with printed manual, and production schedule announced. Whenever this is the case, whoever the manufacturer is, I will agree it is the right way. Otherwise, it should be declared to be a concept or prototype, not currently for sale, as the Nomad was when it was shown last year at the 2010 NAB. When you and I saw the Nomad last April, do you recall what the estimated availability date was?

Glen Trew

John, the "right way" is to have multiple units field tested, published specs, evaluation units available with printed manual, and production schedule announced. Whenever this is the case, whoever the manufacturer is, I will agree it is the right way. Otherwise, it should be declared to be a concept or prototype, not currently for sale, as the Nomad was when it was shown last year at the 2010 NAB. When you and I saw the Nomad last April, do you recall what the estimated availability date was?

Glen Trew

Glen

Why does it appear that you have a hard-on for the way that Zaxcom is releasing NOMAD?

Zaxcom has been building and selling reliable recorder for years. Why do you care how and when NOMAD gets to market?

Bob

Well, Jeff... yes.... of course this is what you want to do. But if Nomad is an ENG mixer....now sound is required to bring a laptop to convert files.

1) none of us know any specs on the Nomad. people that do are not talking. 

2) what file format do you want? My fusion records on the primary card as a Zaxcom format, but the mirror card is a very standard wav file. That's what I deliver. I've never had to convert it, and nobody ever had an issue with it. Are you talking about outputting an MP3 for transcription or something?

" a good reason for that (zax files vs pcm/wav). " ??

yes, very much so...

I've read about it somewhere...

while everyone is designing their visions and versions of the new Nomad (mine keeps saying: 'I must sterilize')...

a GPS would be a great feature...

keep in mind that Nomad's price point will also be a major issue in its adoption and possible success in the market....

Jeff, Angelo Waldron was spot on in his remark about producers in the ENG world stating things to the effect, as Angelo worded it, "The reply will be.. "huh?.... I'm sure the camera track mix will be fine, thanks anyway".

Unlike the film business, that many here on this board work in, the ENG/EFP world, the world I've worked in for 23 years, is filled with many non-technical people with which we ENG/EFP sound techs must interface with. To Angelo's point, producers in the ENG/EFP world generally have little tolerance for tech talk, particularly if it takes more than a few moments to explain.

So, as Angelo suggested, any recorder we use in this environment, whether for picture or sound, must record files that require no transcoding.

Larry

I think it is clearly understood now by everyone that the proprietary Zaxcom MARF format is not a liability but an asset, that being the case in ANY recording environment, feature movies, ENG/bag work, etc. It has no bearing on the deliverable, a deliverable which does not require any transcoding. In fact, the Deva as a single machine is probably the most flexible as to the deliverable specifically because of MARF. This is a non issue that comes from people who have not used Zaxcom recorders and a lack of understanding of the operating system and file formats, deliverable media, etc.