New Zaxcom recorder

bigmaho

To expand on Jeff's comments for those who are not familiar with the Zaxcom recording system.  All existing Zaxcom recorders record to their primary medium (hard drive or compact flash card) in an extremely robust proprietary format called MARF.  This format is designed to protect the audio under all adverse circumstances.  Simultaneously, the recorders convert the MARF file to a wav file and records it on a 2nd medium (DVD/RAM, a firewire drive or a 2nd CF card) for distribution.  This design has been used since the original Deva recorders and has proved extremely successful.  I don't see Zaxcom changing this scenario in their new recorder.

Billy

I think it is clearly understood now by everyone that the proprietary Zaxcom MARF format is not a liability but an asset, that being the case in ANY recording environment, feature movies, ENG/bag work, etc. It has no bearing on the deliverable, a deliverable which does not require any transcoding. In fact, the Deva as a single machine is probably the most flexible as to the deliverable specifically because of MARF. This is a non issue that comes from people who have not used Zaxcom recorders and a lack of understanding of the operating system and file formats, deliverable media, etc.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I can't hold my tongue any longer.  Most of you people are way off the target.  Far from being a rehashing of any current technology, the new device under discussion will create an entirely new class of audio processing and recording equipment.

What is revolutionary about this soon-to-be-released piece -- that everyone will be clamoring to purchase -- is how it detects and captures human speech.

Its patented L.S.D. (Laser Signature Device), once assigned to a target (such as the mouth of the talent), then locks in and tracks the movements of that target.  The integrated S.C.R.E.E.C.H. (Speech Character Recognition Emulation Encoding Characteristics Hinter) formulates a completely accurate recreation of the target's speech, deriving nuances from such elements as mouth cavity, vocal cord characteristics, muscle movement, curvature of face, head movement, and more than a dozen other elements that affect the sound of normal human speech.  What you hear is a voice track that is actually cleaner and more distortion-free than the multisonic characteristics of the natural sound that emanates from the targeted individual.  Far from being a synthesized sound, the result is a voice track that is more pure, pleasing, and intelligible than the naturally-occurring equivalent.

In practice, this means a clear, clean dialog track with no more distracting background noise.  Recording a scene in a grocery store will no longer have you pulling your hair out from all the noisy coolers, pedestrian traffic, and hundreds of other sounds that detract from a perfectly recorded product.

Yes, even having to curtail background talking is a thing of the past.  Producers will especially relish this feature as they can continue to yammer away during a take and not have the least thought of whether they're impacting the track being recorded -- much like they're accustomed to already.

This device will revolutionize our industry.

There are, however, one or two glitches in the algorithm that haven't been resolved yet.  If the L.S.D. is assigned to the face of a dog, for instance, any time the animal moves its mouth, it appears that the dog may be speaking, but the result is pure gibberish.

The developer is, nonetheless, getting around this limitation by denying that it's a glitch and marketing the anomaly as a key feature.

I've said too much already.

Alright, I can't hold my tongue any longer.  Most of you people are way off the target.  Far from being a rehashing of any current technology, the new device under discussion will create an entirely new class of audio processing and recording equipment.

What is revolutionary about this soon-to-be-released piece -- that everyone will be clamoring to purchase -- is how it detects and captures human speech.

Its patented L.S.D. (Laser Signature Device), once assigned to a target (such as the mouth of the talent), then locks in and tracks the movements of that target.  The integrated S.C.R.E.E.C.H. (Speech Character Recognition Emulation Encoding Characteristics Hinter) formulates a completely accurate recreation of the target's speech, deriving nuances from such elements as mouth cavity, vocal cord characteristics, muscle movement, curvature of face, head movement, and more than a dozen other elements that affect the sound of normal human speech.  What you hear is a voice track that is actually cleaner and more distortion-free than the multisonic characteristics of the natural sound that emanates from the targeted individual.  Far from being a synthesized sound, the result is a voice track that is more pure, pleasing, and intelligible than the naturally-occurring equivalent.

In practice, this means a clear, clean dialog track with no more distracting background noise.  Recording a scene in a grocery store will no longer have you pulling your hair out from all the noisy coolers, pedestrian traffic, and hundreds of other sounds that detract from a perfectly recorded product.

Yes, even having to curtail background talking is a thing of the past.  Producers will especially relish this feature as they can continue to yammer away during a take and not have the least thought of whether they're impacting the track being recorded -- much like they're accustomed to already.

This device will revolutionize our industry.

There are, however, one or two glitches in the algorithm that haven't been resolved yet.  If the L.S.D. is assigned to the face of a dog, for instance, any time the animal moves its mouth, it appears that the dog may be speaking, but the result is pure gibberish.

The developer is, nonetheless, getting around this limitation by denying that it's a glitch and marketing the anomaly as a key feature.

I've said too much already.

Win

Whilst I agree with Mr John Blankenship regarding the S.C.R.E.E.C.H technology, I have also heard that if it cannot decipher the targets (Actor, dog etc) voice or movements, it will go to it's default voice of Brad Pits character in the Guy Ritchie movie Snatch.

All fun aside, I look forward to getting some more information on this...

B Wilson

This is a non issue that comes from people who have not used Zaxcom recorders and a lack of understanding of the operating system and file formats, deliverable media, etc.

Jeff and Angelo,

Congrats on the CAS Career Achievement Award, Jeff.

I totally agree on the reliability of Zaxcom's MARF and Zaxcom's mirroring that creates deliverable media, in most cases immediately after a shoot wraps. I own a Fusion and love that I have both a secure backup as MARF and that I can immediately hand a CF card with broadcast WAV files to my clients. I can't imagine why Zaxcom wouldn't do the same with Nomad. I was trying to suggest to Angelo, while agreeing with his concerns, that Zaxcom probably wouldn't fumble the OS, file formatting and delivery media on a device that needs to do things in a straightforward, fast and reliable way. Guess I should have just said that!

My statement about the non-tech types "on set" with no patience for tech jargon still stands. I find their disinterest in our efforts to give them the best product, as they half-listen to our questions while texting on their phones, to be insulting-- particularly when it is their job to provide some answers. But hey, what does a sound guy know?

Larry

My statement about the non-tech types "on set" with no patience for tech jargon still stands. I find their disinterest in our efforts to give them the best product, as they half-listen to our questions while texting on their phones, to be insulting-- particularly when it is their job to provide some answers. But hey, what does a sound guy know?

Larry

Well said, Larry, and I agree with you completely that more and more jobs require that we be educators rather than sound mixers, and in many cases we are dealing with people who cannot be taught anything.

-  Jeff Wexler

...that's why I'd see the inverse (intergated camera send) and as an option.

Now if they could make a Tx with intern antenna the size of an XLR jack with phantom power (and micro sd recording while we're at it) to plug a shotgun mic...

Well, they could also make a lavallier with Tx embedded in the capsule...