Sound Devices XL1394

fatfatjames

Hi i got problem with my XL1394...

I am using a external battery (14V) to power up the 744T, and it powerup fine...

But when i attach my XL1394 in to read my external hard-disk, the LED on the 744T for external hard-disk keep blinking, and refuse to read my external hard-disk...

I tried connecting my external hard-disk direct to the 744T, 744T read the Hard-disk well...

Does anyone know, what is the cause of the XL1394 not allowing the 744T to read my external hard-disk?

Thanks...

James,

The 744t does not support every firewire to IDE interface chipset out there.

Perhaps the interface in your external hard drive uses a chipset that is not supported by the 744t firmware.

Has your machine been updated to the version 2.0 hardware compatibility?  That will help as will the latest firmware update 2.03 for the 744t. Make sure you have the latest hardware and firmware updates installed to use external HD drives.

---Courtney

Guest tourtelot

Yes, the drive is documented not to work without external power to the 7-series.  I have had no problems with my drive either in cart power (13.8VDC) or the SD wall-wart.

D.

Speaking of the SD XL1394 has anyone had problems with it between the 744T & the SD DVD burner in that the 744 does not recognize the burner but does with a regular FW cable?

Eric

I had this problem and Sound Devices is now aware.  Not sure if they fixed it yet or not across the board...I'd recommend checking with them.  Don't recommend using the drive without the XL1394 as there is an annoying noise every time the drive is written to (sounds like an old-school flashbulb going off).  Use external power for the drive until the issue is resolved.

nvt

Is the problem assoicated with a flaw in the original XL1394 design or something which is limited to only a few units? I haven't experienced any problems using either bus power or external AC/DC, but I bought my DVD-RAM drive and XL1394 filter early on and don't want to get caught off guard down the line if a mod is recommended.

Thanks, EB

fat,

sd did have a few problems with the filtering units. they would only work with the 744t using the ac p.s. or as brian noted a bds system. call you vendor where you purchased the xl1394 and either exchange or send to sd for a little fix.

sd told us that all the xl's are ready for any powering source now, (i.e. bus power from the 744t)

later,

fs

Frank,

I'm powering my DVD drive through the 744T's 1394 bus, which is the only reason to have the filter in the first place from what I gather. I've NEVER been able to power it using the on-board SD battery, with or without the XL filter in place, only when the 744T is powered by wall-wart or external battery (BDS).

Am I missing something here? Still no on-board battery power option, right?

EB

Eric,

hope yr doing well. you are right. it was intended to power up the ext. dvd ram and filter out the "buzz" back to the mixer & recorder. but as I said, there was a few problems with the earlier units. now sd has fixed the little bug and is delivering units that will power the dvd rams using the int.battery however we only tried it with the sony lithium batts and the dvd burners is recognized.

hope that helps a little bit. scott farr posted in another catergory that sd has a user group. maybe check that and see if any other mixers are having the same issues. in the mean while send the xl1394 back to sd and get it fixed. you should be able to use the ext. dvd ram now not just with the ac p.s. or bds.

later,

fs

• 3 months later...