Pro.using Cinema Tools.  So you can now create an ALE file to include on

each DVD-RAM disk you send in to allow easy import of Timecode, Scene, Take,

Track Names and Notes and other metadata from the original Production Tracks

into any Edit project.

For more info go here: http://www.bwfwidget.com/html/new.php

---Courtney

• 2 weeks later...

Courtney,

Does the new version of your product fully support iXML, the emerging industry standard, or are you still philosophically opposed to it? What is your current position, for people who might be interested in your product, and for people like me who have paid you to license it, on whether you are prepared, regardless of your personal views, to support iXML? I ask because when the subject of iXML comes up, as it has on a number of fora, you make your opposition abundantly clear, and if I understand matters correctly, you are not prepared to build true/full iXML support into BWF-Widget, apparently because you disagree with its proponents. So the question is, does the new version of BWF-Widget Pro fully support iXML? If not, when will it? I mean, as we both know, doing it is not difficult. It is just a question of whether you are prepared to do it. As a licensee, a clear response, in plain English, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Courtney,

Does the new version of your product fully support iXML, the emerging industry standard, or are you still philosophically opposed to it? What is your current position, for people who might be interested in your product, and for people like me who have paid you to license it, on whether you are prepared, regardless of your personal views, to support iXML? I ask because when the subject of iXML comes up, as it has on a number of fora, you make your opposition abundantly clear, and if I understand matters correctly, you are not prepared to build true/full iXML support into BWF-Widget, apparently because you disagree with its proponents. So the question is, does the new version of BWF-Widget Pro fully support iXML? If not, when will it? I mean, as we both know, doing it is not difficult. It is just a question of whether you are prepared to do it. As a licensee, a clear response, in plain English, would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Fully support iXML "  I support it for the fields that BWF-Widget Pro supports.  Since iXML is an extensible format there can rarely be "Full iXML support" except for a single implementation for a single product and even that is a moving target.  A product like mine that tries to be as compatible as it can with files from all of the manufacturers of BWF recorders,  must limit it's support to those areas of interest that are common to most.  Since there is no "Standard" in iXML (all fields are optional and the arrangement or order of the data is flexible) "Full support" is kind of impossible.

I still think a double standard is a bad thing. And my rants about how iXML is a bad thing are all based on the fact that it tries to establish a double standard using a format which is not standardized.  It will be the cause of problems for many years to come.  I have already had to deal with problems of contradiction of data within a single file.  It will only get worse. 

Here is how the current version of BWF-Widget Pro uses iXML data in hopefully plain English.

The only data fields supported are those which BWF-Widget Pro allows you to add to the Data Grid.

They are:

Filename

Scene #

Take #

Start TC

End TC

User Bits

Frame Rate

Smp Rate

Mode (# channels, bit depth, Mono/Poly)

Duration

Notes:

Track IDs

Cue Marks

Tape #

OF the above Metadata the program first Checks the iXML chunk (if one is present) and looks for the following info

Scene #

Take #

Tape #

User Bits

Frame Rate

Track Names

Notes:

It then checks the Bext Chunk for any duplicate values for the above data.  If entries are found in the Bext Chunk they replace those found in the iXML chunk. (i.e. in cases of duplication of fields, bext wins if it has valid data)

The remaining Metadata is pulled from the Bext chunk and the Format Chunk (and the filename is the name of the file obviously)

Time Code always comes from the Bext chunk

Sample rate and track count are from the "fmt" Chunk as those are what are used when the file is played on all players.

"Duration" and "End Time code" are mathematically derived from the data in the Bext and Fmt Chunks.

As far as I know BWF-Widge Pro is the only program out there that lets you edit the iXML data embedded in the file. (including those custom or proprietary fields that are not read or interpreted by BWF-Widget). That is as "full" a support as I can offer in my product.  So I think your concept of what is difficult and what is not are off the mark. Unless you have tried to build a product that sorts out all the possible problems and conflicts in this duplicitous environment you are not speaking from experience.  It is not as trivial as you seem to suggest. Otherwise companies with much larger budgets and manpower than me would be doing it. (i.e. Apple, Digidesign, and Avid).  Remember BWF-Widget Pro is a $99 vertical market product, and it's registered version includes BWF-O-Matic whch does even more file manipulation. The combination of the 2 programs do more than any other similar product in its market and price range. If you want something that does more, you will probably have to write it yourself.

----Courtney

Courtney,

Does BWF Widget Pro work on a Mac running Windows with Bootcamp?

Thanks!

Phil

Phil,

Yes, BWF-Widget Pro works fine running under Boot Camp on a Mac.  However it can only see sound files on drives that can be seen by the Windows operating system.  It won't see files on the HFS formatted Mac Drive partition.  It will see files however on external DVD drives or External Hard drives that are formatted in either UDF or Fat 32 format and visible to both operating systems.

---Courtney

Courtney, when I asked you to respond in plain English, I knew that unless you have changed your attitude I was tilting at windmills.

I don't mind that you are vehemently opposed to iXML. I do mind that you don't say this to people who are thinking of buying your product. The only way that they can find out about your attitude toward iXML, and the consequences if they buy your product, is to read your "rants", as you call them yourself, in various fora. More importantly, I mind that you use language to fudge the whole question of the relationship between your product and iXML. Behind the fudge is the assumption that people don't understand enough about data bases and iXML to understand what you are saying, and that consequently you can get away with speaking in a way that is obtuse and, more importantly, misleading.

People who are thinking about buying your product need to understand that they are buying into a position about databases and database search functions (at the end of the day, what you are selling is a searchable database) that is at odds, to the point of "rants", with where the industry is going, and that they won't know this from your web site, nor perhaps even from your posts, given the degree to which you play fast and loose with answers to plain questions.

redge,

Whoever you are.  If you don't mind my position as being opposed to iXML, why do you keep going on and on about how it is somehow dishonest if I make any kind of use of the data? I guess only reading the part of the ixml data that my program uses is considered by you to be misleading people?  My product is not called "iXML Widget" it is called BWF-Widget Pro.

It does far more that just blindly search or readout the iXML metadata.  If that is all you want just buy one of your so called simple XML readers.  My product was never offered as an XML database program.  It doesn't output XML and it doesn't support complete conversion of all iXML metadata into some other format and it has never claimed to.  BWP's complete operation manuals are available for download and viewing online and anyone can try the product free for 15 days before laying down a single penny. I'm not sure what you are referring to about "playing fast and loose with answers to plain questions".  I have answered your question in as plain and accurate a method as I know how.  The promotional material and operation instructions for BWP outline exactly what amount of iXML support is offered by the program in clear non-misleading form.  If you are looking for a personal endorsement of iXML you won't get it from me.  It would seem that your agenda is to promote iXML at the expense of others.  Having to deal with overly complex  iXML data is now a necessary evil in my opinion.  (and also in the opinion of several of the manufacturers I have talked to who you may claim "support it", but I won't name names).   Is Steve Jobs creation of iTunes for Windows XP an endorsement of that platform  by him. I don't think so.

We are all entitled to our own personal opinions and I have never kept mine a secret.  Unlike you I have always used my real name and never hidden my opinions behind some phony alias in order to secretly promote something.

----Courtney

Hi Courtney,

I think that your post clearly explains, to a degree that has perhaps been less clear in the past, your position on iXML and how that position is reflected in your software.

I appreciate your candour, as one of the people who has paid to license your programme, and I think that it will be helpful to people who are thinking about licensing your software.

Rory