Cable recommendations

Jack Norflus

I am looking for a recommendations for a 5 wire cable (4 wire plus shield). I'm looking to wire a 5 pin to 5 pin.

I thought about using some star-quad but I heard from various sources that by using a star-quad in this application wasn't a good thing since star-quad wasn't designed to operated this way.

Thanks

Jack

Agreed, all of the above make their own flavor of multi-line twisted pair cable.  You'll have to explore their websites and product data sheets to find a match for your application.

Canare does make a two-channel starquad (One big jacket contains 2 individual starquad lines all with their own braid shields.) but the outer diameter is quite large.  You could get it in a Neutrik XLR but you'd have to modify the boot to let the cable pass through. 

I once made a cable that took the output of a Zaxcom stereo reciver (5pin xlrF) to feed cameras (2x 3pin xlrM) out of Canare mr-202, which is foil shield, non-starquad twisted pair, and ended up trashing it because it picked up interference from a video assist transmitter.  Not sure why, but now I stick to braided shield and starquad if the connectors allow.

I am looking for a recommendations for a 5 wire cable (4 wire plus shield). I'm looking to wire a 5 pin to 5 pin.

I thought about using some star-quad but I heard from various sources that by using a star-quad in this application wasn't a good thing since star-quad wasn't designed to operated this way.

Thanks

Jack

Get 2 appropriate lengths of Canare L-2E5. Each is one pair with braided shield. Will work fine for your application.

Eric

Jack,

I've made many stereo cables out of star quad and never had any issues with it.

Not refuting any info you may have, but my personal experience has been trouble free.

What affect if any would happen if a stereo cable using star-quad ran close to a ballast or a RF source?

Any noise sensitivity will be, for all practical purposes, about the same as using two good quality, non-starquad, shielded cables.

Assuming that you are talking about mic-level, you would want to be mindful of cable length, but even with mic level, using a starquard cable for balanced stereo signals should not be a problem with relatively short lengths (~25' or less). But if you are using mic level, but careful to not run parallel with single-leg power cables, header cables, and SCR dimmed cables, as you would with normal shielded pair mic cable. When using line level, you shouldn't have to think about it much at all.

Regarding concerns of fidelity degradation when using starquad cable for two balanced audio channels (i.e. stereo)... It should first be mentioned that the starquad scheme has an [little-discussed] adverse affect on audio signals that increases with cable length. But the pronounced advantages in noise reduction far out-weight the minuscule adverse affects, which is why starquad is considered the preferred portable microphone cable (permanent installations typically use non-starquad).

In short, if you are talking about using starquad cable for a stereo mic, such as in a wired boom pole, you should do so without hesitation.

Glen Trew

Canare L-4E3-2P works fine for me. Just make a "X" cut with a razor (be careful) at the end of the jacket and it fits fine (it doesn't screw on all the way, but enough to secure the strain relief). I just made two cables, both with 5 pin XLR's, 1 - 30' & 1 - 75'.

Good luck,

J

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a cable from Clark Wire and Cable. It's not too thick (fits Neutrik connectors without modification). I don't know the product code offhand.

I did use it to make a spare 2 channel XLR feed in a pinch and it worked fine. I normally use it for things like when a Zaxcom ENG RX goes in a belt pouch and I need to connect to the camera.

They had a series of cable that was really tough and durable. I think this was the 2 channel version of that stuff. Not sure if they still make it though..

http://www.clarkwire.com/catcableAUDIO.htm