Ipad 2

I keep hinting to my wife I want one for my birthday (a lot of us here have one coming up, including our host I believe).  But she's not going for it.

If the 788T WiFi thing sorts out a way to generate a sound report, I might not be able to resist!  Maybe if the show I'm about to start is picked up for more episodes.

Robert

it looks really amazing..but I need to replace my 5 year old Mac Book Pro first..and the new Quad Core i7 Chips in the new laptops are INSANE.

I have serious, serious lust for the new MacBook Airs, especially the 13". A producer/friend of mine tells me he avoids dealing with paper scripts on set and just uses the iPad for shooting drafts and storyboards.

--Marc W.

Although my original iPad is no slouch, I'm waiting to hear how much RAM iPad2 has before I finally decide. The iPad has replaced my laptop and I do all heavy lifting on a desktop machine with a big screen.

Rumours are 512MB RAM on iPad which I would find a little disappointing. 1GB or more and I will probably jump all over it. I actually find I use iWork quite a bit with photos etc, plus have a few Safari pages open. With the current 256MB (and likely 512MB) the iPad starts junking some of the Safari tabs and reloads them next time you switch to Safari - VERY annoying if you've been in the middle of a long forum post because relaoding the page loses whatever you were typing.

If anyone IS rushing out to get the new one, message me if you want to sell the original for a reasonable price. I'm looking at it for just that Movie*Slate app, I don't care about the 3g (Tmobile tethering on my iphone) and 16gb or up is fine.

Basically... I have some theories I want to test about that timecode generator and syncing it wirelessly (both audio wireless or wifi) and this would be a good experiment bed for it. I think the app is decent, but not perfect. BUT there might be a way to get it a lot closer to perfect relatively easily.

As for the memory in the new ones... Don't count on a huge bump. Ram is CHEAP, yet Lord Steve (or the sweater) decided to NOT jump the iphone's memory in a big way with the i4, or the 3GS when they could have. How about even the 3g? Same memory as the original. Sad. Lord Steve thinks that thinner is better, not more functional, or we would also have an SD card slot in the thing.

A used iPad 1 should be really cheap. You can, for at least a short while, get a refurb ipad 1 from Apple, with a 1yr warrenty, starting at $349.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

About memory and such, I heard from a friend who tried one out at the launch that they do a better job with VM and Safari...at least, that's what he thinks was going on... Don't know yet about how much RAM. Sure, Steve and Apple make some idiosyncratic design decisions. But are you going to buy a Xoom instead?

As for me, I might buy one at launch... mainly because I might have some review opportunities that'll kinda underwrite a bunch of the cost. And they look fun, despite the walled-garden crazy control Apple insists upon. --Jim

I spoke too soon!  The good news is my wife just got her new iPad today from the Speech Therapy Department of her school district.  However, she was the last therapist in the initial group to receive a first generation iPad.  All the remaining therapists will receive iPad2's.  Still can't complain when you receive any Apple product for free.

• 1 month later...

" ...research group has run the test on Apple’s new iPad 2, and it turns out that the legal-pad-size tablet would be a rival for a four-processor version of the Cray 2 supercomputer, which, with eight processors, was the world’s fastest computer in 1985.. researchers also discovered that the new iPad2 is about 10 times as fast as its predecessor, the original iPad. That is likely because of some design changes in the microprocessor used in the new version of the Apple tablet. "

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/the-ipad-in-your-hand-as-fast-as-a-supercomputer-of-yore/?partner=rss&emc=rss

If anyone IS rushing out to get the new one, message me if you want to sell the original for a reasonable price. I'm looking at it for just that Movie*Slate app, I don't care about the 3g (Tmobile tethering on my iphone) and 16gb or up is fine.

Basically... I have some theories I want to test about that timecode generator and syncing it wirelessly (both audio wireless or wifi) and this would be a good experiment bed for it. I think the app is decent, but not perfect. BUT there might be a way to get it a lot closer to perfect relatively easily.

As for the memory in the new ones... Don't count on a huge bump. Ram is CHEAP, yet Lord Steve (or the sweater) decided to NOT jump the iphone's memory in a big way with the i4, or the 3GS when they could have. How about even the 3g? Same memory as the original. Sad. Lord Steve thinks that thinner is better, not more functional, or we would also have an SD card slot in the thing.

i m very curious about your experimenting with the movie slate app and ipad thing... keep us posted on your results. thanks!

So, I'm figuring the iPad will last, what... maybe one or two careless tosses onto a piled AC cart?

I'm not knocking Apple here, but I'll put my money on Denecke for endurance.  ACs have managed to put deep gashes into the wood on mine and they still don't miss a beat.

The potential for configurability is intriguing, though.

Pomfort has a free frame calculator app if anyone's interested:

http://pomfort.com/framecalculator/index.html

So, I'm figuring the iPad will last, what... maybe one or two careless tosses onto a piled AC cart? I'm not knocking Apple here, but I'll put my money on Denecke for endurance.  ACs have managed to put deep gashes into the wood on mine and they still don't miss a beat.

That's my take as well. And you still have to hang a rock-solid, reliable timecode source on the back of that box in order to make it work. I'm very doubtful on the long-term reliability of an iPad as a slate, especially compared to a Denecke slate.

I bet I could drop a Denecke TS-3 onto solid concrete from a height of four feet, and it wouldn't lose a frame. But an iPad...

smiley_nope.gif

--Marc W.

I bet I could drop a Denecke TS-3 onto solid concrete from a height of four feet, and it wouldn't lose a frame. But an iPad...

--Marc W.

On my last feature one of my TS-C slates fell off the front of a dolly onto concrete and was rolled over by the dolly with no damage though I did insist production pay for service after the show wrapped but beyond a minor tune it was fine. I doubt a Ipad would have faired as well

I have been a longtime Mac aficionado, going as far back as the IIvx and several Newtons ... 

I will not get another iPad, and actively (daily, sometimes) encourage others to NOT go there,

until they re-engage with Adobe Flash. 

This stance that Apple has taken has been a MAJOR pain in the ass for many websites,

and a colossal pain in the ass for much streaming media (PBS Newshour for one... there are MANY MANY more )

It is arrogant, and disrespectful of their consumer base.  It is a deficiency that is much much greater than people might think,

just like myself last year when I purchased one and thought I might not have a problem with it. 

Guess what ?  I really do..... and I want to make some noise about it, as others have.

I hope Apple is listening, but do I think they really care... ? Not with 30B in the bank.

I have been disappointed by Apple in the past for some shoddy manufacture, and the occasional pre-planned rapid obsolescence of recently purchased stuff,  but this one takes the cake.....   

I was in the airport last week a bit early, and got to play with the Blackberry (Droid) Tablet - now that is one speedy intuitive tool... and Google / GMail / Apps.... it's got it all. 

At roughly the same price point, I'll probably go there next if this severe deficiency is not corrected.

MF

Wait for the new HTC android pad. I think 7" and 10" inch .

HTC knows how to android.

I use a windows 7 asus eee pad and have been very happy with all aspects of it.

Battery life can not compete with low power Ipads and android tablets but everything else far more superior ...

I have been a longtime Mac aficionado, going as far back as the IIvx and several Newtons ... 

I will not get another iPad, and actively (daily, sometimes) encourage others to NOT go there,

until they re-engage with Adobe Flash. 

This stance that Apple has taken has been a MAJOR pain in the ass for many websites,

and a colossal pain in the ass for much streaming media (PBS Newshour for one... there are MANY MANY more )

It is arrogant, and disrespectful of their consumer base.  It is a deficiency that is much much greater than people might think,

just like myself last year when I purchased one and thought I might not have a problem with it. 

Guess what ?  I really do..... and I want to make some noise about it, as others have.

I hope Apple is listening, but do I think they really care... ? Not with 30B in the bank.

I have been disappointed by Apple in the past for some shoddy manufacture, and the occasional pre-planned rapid obsolescence of recently purchased stuff,  but this one takes the cake.....   

I was in the airport last week a bit early, and got to play with the Blackberry (Droid) Tablet - now that is one speedy intuitive tool... and Google / GMail / Apps.... it's got it all. 

At roughly the same price point, I'll probably go there next if this severe deficiency is not corrected.

MF

I will not get another iPad, and actively (daily, sometimes) encourage others to NOT go there, until they re-engage with Adobe Flash.

Jobs gave some pretty good reasons a year ago as to the specific reasons why Apple was moving away from Adobe Flash:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Adobe is often every bit as arrogant, difficult, and annoying as Apple, in my experience. In truth, though, they made a lot of changes to Flash in the last few months, and they're now claiming that they've solved all the problems Jobs cited a year ago. No word from Apple as to whether they'll open up iOS to Flash.

--Marc W.

It is not going to happen ever.

Jobs gave some pretty good reasons a year ago as to the specific reasons why Apple was moving away from Adobe Flash:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Adobe is often every bit as arrogant, difficult, and annoying as Apple, in my experience. In truth, though, they made a lot of changes to Flash in the last few months, and they're now claiming that they've solved all the problems Jobs cited a year ago. No word from Apple as to whether they'll open up iOS to Flash.

--Marc W.

And that is one thing that Lord Steve and I agree on - Flash can wither and die tomorrow... And the world will only be the better for it.

I'm not a fanboi by any means, but I respect decent hardware and functionality. Flash however... Is an abomination that forces me to download an ENTIRE SITE (when coded in that mess) before seeing even the first page. So many sites use flash when there isn't any good reason to, it is just a plague on the internet not unlike the Biblical plagues of frogs or locusts.

And that is one thing that Lord Steve and I agree on - Flash can wither and die tomorrow... And the world will only be the better for it.

I'm not a fanboi by any means, but I respect decent hardware and functionality. Flash however... Is an abomination that forces me to download an ENTIRE SITE (when coded in that mess) before seeing even the first page. So many sites use flash when there isn't any good reason to, it is just a plague on the internet not unlike the Biblical plagues of frogs or locusts.

But imagine the web without it. I think html5 is the future but at the moment flash rules. And honestly I have no problem with it. Takes 2 seconds to load and has a very good video quality.

MF

the blackberry tablet is not an android device.

ao