AA Batteries For Lectrosonics SMQV

Jack Norflus

I know that Lectro has a chart on there web site with run times - but I was curious what type of AA batteries(lithium /akaline / rechargeable /etc) and what brand of thoes batteries are you using specifically for Lectrosonics SMQV transmitters. And what run times are you getting?

Larry what is Lectrosonics recomending for the SMQV?

Jack

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Lectro has a chart on there web site with run times - but I was curious what type of AA batteries(lithium /akaline / rechargeable /etc) and what brand of thoes batteries are you using specifically for Lectrosonics SMQV transmitters. And what run times are you getting?

Jack

I use Sanyo 2700mah rechargables exclusively as they are the best and most cost effective available thus far IMO. I get at least 8 hours on them at 100mw in my SMQV but I don't like to push them much farther if I can help it. You need a good charger to get full life out of the batteries though.

-Jesse

...shich brings us to the next question:

what would be the best charger for these batteries ?

I heard so many things troughout time that I lost my way there. Things  like; you must employ the same brand for charger and batteries combo cause it's been cases where crossing brands didn't charge the batts properly; opinions about slow charging vs. fast charging , etc...

As for batteries, I use these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=678991&is=REG

tucked into these cases:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=491481&is=REG

...and am a happy camper with these. I don't have Larry's ratings concerning the batteries though, but I know for sure I don't charge every time I go out now. I go up to a 5 days brake to get to the point I get a little paranoid and systematically recharge everything.

PS: sorry about the B&H "plug" but it was the more convenient way for me to add the links ... no intention here.

Hi Jack,

We have had good luck with NiMh batteries from Panasonic, Eveready and Sanyo. The higher capacity batteries (2500 and 2700 mAh) batteries are a little fragile when charged at high rates, i.e., less than one hour. For instance, the 15 minute Eveready charger does bad things to 2500 and 2700 mAh capacity batteries. They start running down in a day or so. We have been using the Maha smart chargers with very good results and consistent battery life. They are also sold under the PowerEx brand. Here's a bing link just for the picture.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/maha-powerex-mh-c9000-wizardone-charger-analyzer-for-4-aa-aaa/p/6EA3C13819C558B2C8CB?q=Maha+chargers&FORM=CL

We have also played with the Eneloop batteries which are low leakage and rated to hold most of their charge for a year. I have used these around the house for GPS units, cameras, remote controls, etc., and they seem to work as advertised giving 6 months of use or more in units that are used occasionally and always seem to be discharged in a few weeks when using standard NiMh. The Maha charger plays well with the Eneloops also. There only downside is a 2000 mAh capacity. Basically, they have replaced active battery material with additional insulators to get the low leakage. This is also why 2700 mAh batteries will withstand fewer charge cycles; insulators have been compromised for more active battery material. Mother Nature will not be denied.

The bad thing about the Maha charger is that it has so many settings and choices that it is a pain sometimes to just use it. A 14 year old nerd would love it.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Jack

Back to other options for the OP, I use Energizer Ultimate lithium "disposable" AAs whenever possible in my SMQv transmitters. I love the idea of the rechargeable for nature's sake, but as a primarily ENG guy, I can't afford to have any more things to worry about then are absolutely necessary. I get right around the 15 hours (@100 mW) promised on that Lectro chart, and I don't ever have to think about Powering down, sleep mode, battery changes, etc.

FYI, I have also used the Energizer "advanced" lithiums, and was much less happy with the results. Seemed to cut out after 8-10 hours, still pretty good compared to Alkalines or rechargeables, IMO.

E.

I have the Maha 8 bay charger, it wasn't cheap but it'll pay for itself many times over as I can still charge for AAs on longer jobs. I use Powerex 2700's and run them for about 5 - 6 hours at 100mW before swapping out (generally at lunch). I'm pretty happy with them, although still use Energiser Lithiums in my SMv.

As a self proclaimed battery "geek" I have tried a bunch of different battery/charger combinations. I have found the Maha MH-C9000 charger to be by far the best for charging/cycling NI-MH AA''s and keeping them in top condition. A very cool function it has is a battery analyzer that will give you the current MAH rating for your batteries and see if any are getting tired. 

Another very good charger option is the la crosse bc-900. It's smaller and easier to use but its not as robust as the Maha.

Supposed best rechargable aa's:

High capacity:

Sanyo 2700mah

Powerex 2700mah

Low discharge:

Imedion 2400mah

Eneloop 2000mah

Stay away from Duracell & energizer high capacity rechargables!, they are very unreliable and discharge extremely fast.

Back to other options for the OP, I use Energizer Ultimate lithium "disposable" AAs whenever possible in my SMQv transmitters. I love the idea of the rechargeable for nature's sake, but as a primarily ENG guy, I can't afford to have any more things to worry about then are absolutely necessary. I get right around the 15 hours (@100 mW) promised on that Lectro chart, and I don't ever have to think about Powering down, sleep mode, battery changes, etc.

FYI, I have also used the Energizer "advanced" lithiums, and was much less happy with the results. Seemed to cut out after 8-10 hours, still pretty good compared to Alkalines or rechargeables, IMO.

E.

No doubt for raw run times and not wanting to change batteries in a day Lithiums are the best option. But the latest generation of NI-MH rechargeable batteries are very capable and reliable. They just take a little bit of diligence and knowledge to keep the cells in top condition and operating at peak performance. I charge the high capacity cells a day before a gig and use the long life eneloops for low power needs like slates ect. It's also good practice to cycle the cells every month or two to keep them at peak capacity.

* and dont forget to hug a tree ;-)

-Jesse

From an economical standpoint - I can buy akaline AA's in bulk for around 25 cents each. So after purchasing a charger and some batteries - financially I understand that you will be ahead of the game eventally, but it will take some time. From a convince point I don't have to make sure if the batteries are charged or not.

So other than the environmental impact - which I am all for - what advantages rechargagables have over disposables?

From an economical standpoint - I can buy akaline AA's in bulk for around 25 cents each. So after purchasing a charger and some batteries - financially I understand that you will be ahead of the game eventally, but it will take some time. From a convince point I don't have to make sure if the batteries are charged or not.

So other than the environmental impact - which I am all for - what advantages rechargagables have over disposables?

How about the fact that alkaline aa's will only last 1.5 hours in a SMV and 5.5 in a SMQV transmitter. The run times for quality NI-MH aa's are about 4 hours in an SMV and over 8 in the SMQV. Basically alkaline batteries cant handle the load requirements of the lectrosonics equipment. Lithium or NI-MH is really the only reliable options.

"Ahead of the game eventually"?

You will be ahead of the game VERY quickly, financially, and ahead of the game immediately when it comes to protecting the environment.  Your batteries will last longer immediately also, which puts you ahead of the game not having to bother the folks wearing the transmitters every hour and a half.

I get that some folks use the Lithium AA batteries for longer run time in certain situations (myself included), but it seems crazy to me that anyone still uses alkaline batteries for anything.

Robert

Like people posted, it's more valid to compare the cost of lithiums to the rechargeables. I personally have not bought lithiums in big bulk. From I remember the bill being for feature film quantities, the piece price was still pretty high. In that sense, the rechargeables pay for themselves fairy quickly.

I'm on a job where they supplied us with SMa transmitters and a few boxes of alkalines. No way can i change batteries every 90 minutes in some of the situations we are working. The other thing is that a SMa is not as quick to swap as a UM400 or something. They take longer to change the battery, and then have to be turned back on (making sure not to go into standby mode). I love the SM series, but it is easier to have the subject change batteries with 9volt powered Lectros.

Those MAHA systems are really tempting. My only hesitation is that one of my two Lectro transmitters is the original SMQ, so it can only transmit at 250mW. It burns through alkaline batteries like shots of tequila. I usually use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums too, and I'm really happy with how the SMQ preforms with them.

It would be nice not to have to dispose of so many spent Lithums, for the wallet and for the environment. Any idea how long a pair of MAHA AA's would last at 250mW?

the SMVQ would be so much better if they turned on with the 2 button press, and went into 'no RF' mode with a double press for 3 seconds ie the other way round to how they currently operate.

That's a good idea.  Can't believe that's never been brought up before.  Larry?

I can't tell you the number of times I have had people working for me who don't turn the SM on properly and had to go back into whatever rig they placed on the actors to turn on the transmitter AGAIN.  It makes so much sense to have the 'no RF' function be the one which requires holding the buttons down for an extended time, since it's hardly ever used.  I don't remember ever needing that function.

Robert

That's a good idea.  Can't believe that's never been brought up before.  Larry?

I can't tell you the number of times I have had people working for me who don't turn the SM on properly and had to go back into whatever rig they placed on the actors to turn on the transmitter AGAIN.  It makes so much sense to have the 'no RF' function be the one which requires holding the buttons down for an extended time, since it's hardly ever used.  I don't remember ever needing that function.

Robert

I agree with Tim and Robert.  I have on numerous occasions accidentally powered up my SMV to RF Off mode and needed to hassle talent to turn it on again.  I had to make some excuse like I need to make adjustments.