AA Batteries For Lectrosonics SMQV

Jack Norflus

... but they make 9V batts..! ?

Still too much space needed to get proper mAHs into an AA ?

The 9v's are made of 2x 3.7v Li-polymer batteries to make the 8.4v "9v". Lithium batteries have a higher voltage level 3.7v vs. 1.2v ni-mh so are not compatible with the SMa. I'm sure a aa size li-ion rechargeable could be made or has been made? Who knows if the power density would be much better.

--

I did make a custom 7.4v 2600mah Li-ion pack for my SRa though. It gives me at least 10 hours of run time and is smaller and has longer run time than the battery sled plastic case packs. I also didn't need to buy the expensive battery sled which is a nice plus.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RF off mode is pretty good when you have to prep a bunch of transmitters together but will not install them right away.  Aside from that it's a pain.  Everytime i have a helper in miking peoples, they always leave two or three in RF off mode.  I think Lectros should make an option to disable RF off mode. Just like the Control mode for the RM remote.

Pascal

I did make a custom 7.4v 2600mah Li-ion pack for my SRa though. It gives me at least 10 hours of run time and is smaller and has longer run time than the battery sled plastic case packs. I also didn't need to buy the expensive battery sled which is a nice plus.

Would you mind sharing how you did this?

the SMVQ would be so much better if they turned on with the 2 button press, and went into 'no RF' mode with a double press for 3 seconds ie the other way round to how they currently operate.

I agree it has always been a hassle for me as well. I wish there was some way to not have it.

Would you mind sharing how you did this?

I used a Tenergy 7.4v li-ion battery pack with a short right angle locking lectro power connecter . Attached with velcro to the back of the receiver. The SRa can handle as low as 6v so it will use nearly all the packs power before shutting off (at least 13 hours).

It's not as elegant as the lectro option but it works great for camera hops where you cant tap into the cameras power. I use the same charger for these as with my custom 14.8v BDS packs (li-ion smart charger). It's nice to cut down on battery chargers, these things stack up after a while, lol..

-Jesse

post-3449-130815094393_thumb.jpg

I agree - that would my life easier.

Has anyone ever used the SMQV in no RF mode?

I always assumed it was a stage thing where you might be wiring a ton of actors well before they go on, then you can have an assistant use the remote to turn RF on and off and they go off and on stage.

I used a Tenergy 7.4v li-ion battery pack with a short right angle locking lectro power connecter . Attached with velcro to the back of the receiver. The SRa can handle as low as 6v so it will use nearly all the packs power before shutting off (at least 13 hours).

It's not as elegant as the lectro option but it works great for camera hops where you cant tap into the cameras power. I use the same charger for these as with my custom 14.8v BDS packs (li-ion smart charger). It's nice to cut down on battery chargers, these things stack up after a while, lol..

-Jesse

I do something similar with my Zaxcom hop when I can't tap camera power (and the RX is in a hip pouch). Works really well.

As a side note, instead of a fanny pack, I use the Portabrace wireless receiver pouch. It has an extra little compartment that's perfect for holding the battery pack and belt loops on it.

Thanks Jesse -

One more question - what charger are you using?

Jack

I use a "Triton 2" multi chemistry charger. Heres the LINK . It's takes a little time to setup and learn all the functions but Its very flexible and can charge anything. Note: you do need a 12v DC power supply to power it.

Here is a link to another option. A very easy to use and cheap plug & play charger for the pack : LINK

-Jesse

I'm a little surprised at the battery life you guys are getting.  I'm running a bunch of SMv transmitters and just barely get 6 hours running time using the Energizer 8x Ultimate Lithiums in the 50mw setting.  Even Lecto's battery chart says I should be getting 7.25 hours.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

• 3 months later...

And now for the worst of the rechargeable brands.

Stay away from purchasing any Power 2000 NiMH rechargeables. You'll come across them at places like JR Music World. They were a terrible investment. Every couple recharges, the battery would fatten up and explode. And take the charger with it. The charger poorly recharged the nickel metal hydrides anyway.

I lost my patience with them and threw all 30 rechargeable batteries and 2 chargers in the garbage. $200 in the trash.

post-2864-0-40397900-1308785929.jpg

And now for the worst of the rechargeable brands.

Stay away from purchasing any Power 2000 NiMH rechargeables. You'll come across them at places like JR Music World. They were a terrible investment. Every couple recharges, the battery would fatten up and explode. And take the charger with it. The charger poorly recharged the nickel metal hydrides anyway.

I lost my patience with them and threw all 30 rechargeable batteries and 2 chargers in the garbage. $200 in the trash.

post-2864-0-40397900-1308785929.jpg

Ouch, thats a bummer. It does pay to do your research before dropping a chunk of change. Even off the shelf Duracells/Energizers would have been better. I have a bunch of the powerex 2700 AA cells and they are really nice. Worth the investment, or re-investment in your case :-(

-Jesse

Jesse, thanks for being the batt geek you are; one morning a few months ago, I had a Newegg flyer in my emailbox and there was a good deal with the Maha MH-C9000... so I also bought two. On reception, I did a cleanup of my batteries box and was able to diagnose and ditch a good number of those. Worth the price even just for these diagnose and re-condition features.

:D

Hi Tom,

Are you running the SMv until it dies or is the 6 hours at the warning LED?

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I'm a little surprised at the battery life you guys are getting. I'm running a bunch of SMv transmitters and just barely get 6 hours running time using the Energizer 8x Ultimate Lithiums in the 50mw setting. Even Lecto's battery chart says I should be getting 7.25 hours. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

I'm a little surprised at the battery life you guys are getting. I'm running a bunch of SMv transmitters and just barely get 6 hours running time using the Energizer 8x Ultimate Lithiums in the 50mw setting. Even Lecto's battery chart says I should be getting 7.25 hours. Any thoughts?

Are they shutting off, or are you getting the low battery warning? I called Lectro about this the other week (heyo Senator!) and they explained that the Nimh batteries have a much more shallow voltage drop than the alkaline batteries that the system was designed around. Basically the warning light comes on when the battery hits x.x volts (i forget the number) because at that voltage, an alkaline battery will drop fast. A Nimh battery will still go for a long time.

The solution is to use the timer on your 411/Venue. Unfortunately you have to know about how long your batteries last for that to make sense. You can also ignore the low battery warnings as a red alert, and take it as a very early warning to change batteries at some point in the not too distant future.

Not ideal, but hey. Nimh batteries vary so much in construction that it might be hard to effectively put battery status indicators on batteries of the "same type" that can be under 2000mAh capacity as well as 2850mAh.

• 1 year later...

Will these work with the SMb and SMDb?

www.batteryjunction.com/14500-category.html

Or is there any other rechargeable lithium ion batteries that will give you more power than NiMh?

Regards

John

No, they won't. Lithium rechargeable batteries at the link are "AA sized" and 3.6 volts. They are slightly longer (52 mm) than conventional AA cells (50.1 mm, I think) to prevent their use in devices that would be damaged by the higher voltage.

Best regards,

Jim

I recently did a very unscientific run time test with my SMv and SMQv with Powerex 2700mAh rechargeable AA batteries. Both transmitters were on 100mw.

On the SMv, it took 2:55 for the battery light to turn red, 3:35 until the red light flashed, and 3:40 until it died completely.

On the SMQv, it took 6:20 for the power light to turn red, 7:50 until it started flashing, and 7:55 until it died.

Batteries just came off the Powerex c081d charger in soft charging mode, which charges at a rate of 1000ma. All batteries are in good, but used condition.

Marc

I recently did a very unscientific run time test with my SMv and SMQv with Powerex 2700mAh rechargeable AA batteries. Both transmitters were on 100mw.

On the SMv, it took 2:55 for the battery light to turn red, 3:35 until the red light flashed, and 3:40 until it died completely.

On the SMQv, it took 6:20 for the power light to turn red, 7:50 until it started flashing, and 7:55 until it died.

Batteries just came off the Powerex c081d charger in soft charging mode, which charges at a rate of 1000ma. All batteries are in good, but used condition.

Marc

Hi Marc,

It sounds like your "good, but used" batteries are down to about 2100 mAh of capacity since your times are a little short on two differnt transmitters. The Powerex Maha C-9000 will give you accurate readings on battery capacities. That's why I like it even though it is only a 4 bay charger.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I have had Powerex batteries give me wildly different results, even when used in the same charger, same mode. I'm going to have to just sit down and weed out the bad ones. I had a situation a few months back where a (supposedly) fully-charged 2700ma AA died in about an hour in an SMa, while another one went a solid 3 hours with no problems. Go figure. 

The "soft charge" (2-hour) mode did not make a difference. The trick is, I have about two dozen of them, and I think maybe 5 or 6 are bad. Frustrating. 

For mission critical jobs, I've been going with the Advanced Lithiums which routinely go 4.5-5 hours, depending on how much they're used continuously. If I'm scrupulous with the SMa sleep mode, I can sometimes stretch them out to about one 10-12 hour shoot day depending on setup time. The timer mode on the 411 receivers comes in very handy for testing purposes. Now, if I can just find 100 hours for testing...