AA Batteries For Lectrosonics SMQV

Jack Norflus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own two Powerex MH C9000. Using the analysis function with the batteries Powerex 2700 mAh I have found that in fact they have a real capacity variable from a minimum of 2300 mAh to a maximum of 2550 mAh.

Sergio.

That sounds about right. I have found various battery brands test 10% less than their rated capacity. Definitely some hype going on.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I'm getting almost 5 hours in an SMa at 100mw with a single powerex 2700. My SMQv logically gets about twice that. I don't know if it's placebo or black magic, but the silver paste seems to increase battery life.

Lectro only deals in white magic using organic incense made in fair trade countries.

"Oz" Fisher

I'm getting almost 5 hours in an SMa at 100mw with a single powerex 2700. My SMQv logically gets about twice that. I don't know if it's placebo or black magic, but the silver paste seems to increase battery life.

The silver paste does really work and we have the measurements. We didn't do it originally because we didn't have field history on the units. Pouring dirt and sand on units here doesn't duplicate field use with the buildup of tarnish, dirt and oils.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

The silver paste does really work and we have the measurements. We didn't do it originally because we didn't have field history on the units. Pouring dirt and sand on units here doesn't duplicate field use with the buildup of tarnish, dirt and oils.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Speaking of that, Larry,  What's the recommended way of removing that buildup of tarnish (or patina if one has a habit of walking around with ones nose in the air)?

Speaking of that, Larry,  What's the recommended way of removing that buildup of tarnish (or patina if one has a habit of walking around with ones nose in the air)?

As described on the instruction sheet, use a clean cloth on the threads of the thumbscrew and twist the thumbscrew. Do this until the cloth comes away clean. You could also use a little alcohol on the cloth. Use a q-tip or twisted cloth in the body threads until the cloth comes out clean. Again a little alcohol would help. Afterwards, add a pinhead of silver grease to the leading thread of the thumbscrew. It will spread around as it is used. You can briskly rub a clean cloth on the tiny ridge that contacts the battery. Don't use an eraser or anything even slightly abrasive. You don't want to remove the nickle-Teflon finish.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

As described on the instruction sheet, use a clean cloth on the threads of the thumbscrew and twist the thumbscrew. Do this until the cloth comes away clean. You could also use a little alcohol on the cloth. Use a q-tip or twisted cloth in the body threads until the cloth comes out clean. Again a little alcohol would help. Afterwards, add a pinhead of silver grease to the leading thread of the thumbscrew. It will spread around as it is used. You can briskly rub a clean cloth on the tiny ridge that contacts the battery. Don't use an eraser or anything even slightly abrasive. You don't want to remove the nickle-Teflon finish.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks,

Mirror

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry, how often is it advisable to use the silver paste on the screw?

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

To quote the JWS seer, "It depends", mainly on how often it is used and the dust and dirt conditions.  I'd re-clean with a dry rag, as in the instructions, about twice a year. The silver flakes from the paste get pressure  "plated" into the threads. You aren't trying to lubricate the threads but to overcome dirt films and oxides of nickle with the silver film. Disclaimer: we don't have years of history on the silver paste. We just know it makes the conductivity better. We also know that the lithium grease that we were "accidentally" using was a bad idea. Accidentally, because no one knows why we even started with it.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

One of my smqv's seems to be prematurely giving me the "red" warning LED. I'm doing a timer test on two SMQV's simultaneously now which has been going about 10 hrs.

The battery I'm using is the Energizer Ultimate Lithum, at 9 hours 30 minutes the suspect transmitter has the "red" LED on, the other unit is still "green"

...... EDIT UPDATE.... Transmitter LED flashing " RED" at 10 hrs other transmitter Green. Both units at 100mw

The reason for the test is I've had the suspect transmitter give me the "red" LED prematurely, then after a power cycle it seemed to go back to "green" I'll keep doing testing until I determine there is an issue with the smqv which may require service. Larry any thoughts?

Total run time on suspect SMQV before power loss with AA energizer lithium ultimates clocked at 10hrs, 40 mins. The other SMQV is still strong with green led at 12hrs.

I'm thinking at this point that the suspect SMQV will definitely be taking a trip into Lectro for service, One thing I also noticed was this transmitter was running slightly warmer then the properly operating unit, which leads me to believe it is drawing more current then it's supposed too.

Total run time on suspect SMQV before power loss with AA energizer lithium ultimates clocked at 10hrs, 40 mins. The other SMQV is still strong with green led at 12hrs.

I'm thinking at this point that the suspect SMQV will definitely be taking a trip into Lectro for service, One thing I also noticed was this transmitter was running slightly warmer then the properly operating unit, which leads me to believe it is drawing more current then it's supposed too.

Hi Michael,

Let me know when you are sending it in so I can keep an eye on. Helps keep my curiosity bump under control. Use larryf@lectrosonics.com

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

One of my smqv's seems to be prematurely giving me the "red" warning LED. I'm doing a timer test on two SMQV's simultaneously now which has been going about 10 hrs.

Interesting-I've just noticed one of my smqv has been getting significantly shorter run time. I thought it might be a bad batch of batteries and I haven't had a chance to do a full test yet - I wonder if this might be related.

Once again, the JWS forums are dripping with true wisdom and useful information.

I'm preparing for a five-week documentary shoot in June, which will test the range and longevity of transmitter batteries, and this thread couldn't have come at a better time: I've confirmed a number of things, and I've learned quite a few, very important, things as well.

Thank you, guys!

BK