Recommended: Books, movies, magazines, websites, etc.

Edmond Smith

Maybe it's my age but I think 90 plus % of todays Hollywood films are generic/watered down/ imitations of story telling at best. I would recommend watching the 'Old School Masters'.  They are played often on the TCM Channel. Ford, Hawks, Huston, etc, from the way old days... The 70's, Kubrick,  Altman,  Ashby,  Bogdanovich,  Coppola,  Scorsese.... Modern times I would suggest Clint Eastwood, all Pixar films, and all the great documentaries these days.  Books that I would recommend, Walter Murch's  1st book, "In the Blink of an Eye". He also has others that are very good.  My only other thought is, to learn something everyday. Make something everyday. Play everyday. Eat well everyday. Sleep well every night. Get high once n awhile. Make friends where ever you go.

CrewC

I would agree with Crew, and add Quentin Tarantino and David Fincher as modern masters of traditional filmmaking.

Some of the animated films, Crew mentioned Pixar, really focus on storytelling.  It's important to remember as filmmakers (with our contribution being sound), that it's about the story.  Collaborating with every department to maximize the story being told is the most important contribution anyone can make to the process.

Robert

From the older school don't forget Sergio Leone, and from the contemporary crowd I'd include Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Danny Boyle, and the Coens.

As the list grows, we see that there is still a nice group of talented filmmakers practicing their craft and art, but they seem to often get drowned out by the noise of the massive studio franchises and remakes.

Speaking of Cameron Crowe and Coppola and Spielberg, they shared a 1st AD by the name of Jerry Zeismer, who wrote a fantastic book "Ready When You Are, Mr. Coppola, Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Crowe."

It's a truly remarkable account of working on some truly remarkable productions.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-When-Coppola-Spielberg-Crowe/dp/0810836572

And I'm with RVD in terms of "Hurt Locker" (the movie and the sound).  But it just goes to show how different people expect and appreciate different things.

Robert

I would agree with all the recommendations mentioned so far. I'm sure we all could all add many other worthy people/films. I think the real point of this discussion is that education is a life long endeavor. Whatever they are teaching at Brooks or any film school, should be complemented with individual studies as Edmond asked suggestions for. It is a big world with so much to enjoy and learn. Indulge as much of it as you can.

CrewC

Well, I can't add too much more to what Crew and Richard have said. All great recommendations...

I can only add that there is a lot out there to study and learn about; I am constantly amazed at some of things I run across in research. Stay awake, be curious, ask questions...

See movies whenever you can. There are are a lot of great films that don't get much attention these days.

--Scott