Poor Man's Schoeps CMC641?

Affinity

I can't speak for all of the options, but if you do go with an Oktava, send it to Michael Joly and have him mod it (or buy it from him already modded).  http://www.oktavamod.com/  The upgrade is definitely worth the low cost.

There are also some highly regarded mics from Busman.  http://www.busmanaudio.com/  He also mods certain existing gear.

That said, Scheops Scheops Schoeps!  Buy used, but it will be more than $600.  As Mallory said, buy once, cry once. 

I've been using an AKG CK-93 with the 75 Hz low pass engaged in a Lyre suspension, and have really enjoyed it. Not a lot of reach, but smooth and laid back when you can get the boom in.

Below is a trailer for a feature where we used the AKG for the majority of interior dialogue (pretty much all the interior stuff that you hear in this trailer is the from that mic):

"The Kill Hole" Trailer

Hope this helps,

-Christian

• 5 months later...

The only real problem I've had with low frequency/handling noise on the Oktava is when I use it wireless on a boom or as a plant mic. The low cut module doesn't get rid of all the LF so a low cut switch in the Tx or preamp (before the Tx) is needed. For wired use with the mixer's low cut engaged I've never had any problems.

Affinity,

Twenty five years from now, you will look back on how many years your mics have served you, and how little per year they have cost.

I bought my first Schoeps CMC-441, used, for $600 in 1983, still have, still use it.

I have two MK-012's and have served me well. But once I got my first Schoeps (thanks to John Blankenship), it's tough even using the Oktava's as plants now. You get spoiled once you get the real deal.