Sound devices rumors?

Ayip12

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, since we are detouring to a Strudlewagen discussion,  yes, I do look longingly at the VW sites for other countries where more models of their cars, and EuroVans are available,  as well as more options, choices, engines, transmissions, colors, trim, and just about everything; though they do seem more expensive in Europe, and especially GB...

Yes, in USA the CC is available, but the dealers have been advised that there will be a replacement series for Passat, perhaps renamed so it can be "relaunched", or whatever marketing decides. (a couple years back they "discontinued" the Golf, and "relaunched" it as the return of the Rabbit. (flopped!, it is Golf, again.)

Great cars, (and at my dealer, excellent service, but in USA, crazy marketing...

what is wrong with the transformers sd uses? Nothing.

I'd buy any SD product with "sound"... New mic preamps design? Jensen or cinemag transformers...

After cooper ceased manufacturing there should be some mixers willing to buy.

Why not continue the great tradition of cooper and connect the old with the "new"...

//Christian

Hehe... just came back from Maldives :) So only happy faces here...

And as far as the ADR in the US... it comes in different shapes and formes :) Not always so fantastic! :)

Did record some ADR for true blood a few months back here in Sweden.. and I guess it fits just as good as the US :)

When you start to listen and use the recorded tracks from different mic´s and micpres you start to appreciate and understand the difference... just as wine... it takes time and you need to be interested...

Listen to older films... listen to the dialogue on "fight club" or any other film 10 years back... 

Rado you are right there is nothing wrong with the SD pre amps.

//Christian

Pacifica Api and quad eight are different beasts and while they might be good for music by introducing color to the sound for video and film transparent sound is a lot more desirable at least by me.

[quote author=Christian Holm link=topic=8425.msg71406#msg7

1406 date=1302209015]

Sad... but probably true... :)

What a killer product line it would be... The cost of new(old) mic pre design would not be to big though?

Pacifica, quad eight, neve, cooper, API, jensen, Cinemag... Lots of sound!

Film and TV would sound better! :)

//Christian

Oh.. and add a 1/4" HP jack to the above list of 302 refresh ideas, 3.5 only is a weak link.

I always use the SD XL-14 adaptor cable with my 302, 552 and 788T and keep one plugged into each machine permanently.

I've never had a fault with the 3.5mm socket since there is no removing/inserting of headphones in the units themselves.

The XL-14 is a winner IMO.

Cheers

Peter Mega

> i just like my stake roar<

steak roars in me about 4 hours after I eat it

beans take less time

++++

christian - I hear you and totally agree -

the human voice does sound better recorded  through a quality mic pre transformer

neve, api, cooper and nagra are perfect examples

and a music recording backround will teach you the difference

al " and mackies sound like mackies "

Must say the Cantar sound wonderful... Nagra style preamps... And even the new nagra sounds nice..

But to me the lundahl transformer is to neutral.

I understand your point Rado... and the flavor of the sound can be created in post.. But still if you are familiar with the cooper sound and like that you will want to have that on your recordings every time :)

It would be the most interesting change for me to have really good preamps in the SD products... may be a more expensive product for those how can afford.

//Christian

I have never heard or touched Cooper in my life. I did play with a sonosax once and I liked the transparency.

Must say the Cantar sound wonderful... Nagra style preamps... And even the new nagra sounds nice..

But to me the lundahl transformer is to neutral.

I understand your point Rado... and the flavor of the sound can be created in post.. But still if you are familiar with the cooper sound and like that you will want to have that on your recordings every time :)

It would be the most interesting change for me to have really good preamps in the SD products... may be a more expensive product for those how can afford.

//Christian