Meanwhile, back at the 744T....Output Bus 2

Philip Perkins

This isn't exactly DIY but it isn't full up expensive gear either.  I've always wondered what I could use the digital-only output bus 2 on my 744T for (since it can be set up to have different outputs from output bus 1).  I HAVE used the 744 as a 4 channel digital interface--using one digital output bus to feed the SPDIF input of a Traveler and output 2 to feed the AES input of same (with appropriate internal routing in the 744)--that worked well.  But what about in the bag etc?  Well, here's a cheapo accessory from Gefen that is a 24 bit 48k stereo DAC that runs on DC.  I hooked it up to output 2 of the 744, and it worked.  Sounded good.  Not a lot of level--sort of -15-ish, but clean.  It wants 5VDC.  For those of you (like me) who don't have your bag or cart already set up for that voltage feed, I did try just hooking up 3 AA batteries to it, and it worked just fine (I was warned by a Gefen tech to not try 6VDC with it).  Anyway, since I figure lots of us bottom feeders will still be using 744Ts for awhile (esp. with used ones getting cheaper w/ all the new recorder-mixers coming out) here's a way to make the old beast a little more versatile.  (Gefen EXT-DIGAUD-@-AAUD)

phil p

post-15-130815095059_thumb.jpg

years ago i bought this for my 744t:

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/superpro_dac.html

the one i bought doesn't have the USB port, and it was cheaper, like $80 or so.  it looks rather similar to what you've got there phil, though the "super pro" runs on 12VDC.  it also says it can handle incoming sample rates up to 192k.

actually, i'd be willing to sell what i've got considering i don't have my 744t anymore.  any interested parties, let me know.

-greg-

years ago i bought this for my 744t:

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/superpro_dac.html

the one i bought doesn't have the USB port, and it was cheaper, like $80 or so.  it looks rather similar to what you've got there phil, though the "super pro" runs on 12VDC.  it also says it can handle incoming sample rates up to 192k.

actually, i'd be willing to sell what i've got considering i don't have my 744t anymore.  any interested parties, let me know.

-greg-

The page says that box was 89 UK POUNDS, not $80 US.  The Gefen I got was less than $60 US, and appears to be smaller.  I was really mostly thinking of it as a monitor out for some obscure sorts of video jobs, so 48k would be all I'd need.

phil p

Hey Phil.  Rechargable AAs are less than 1.5v, so a group of 4 will get you very close to 5v.  I use a 4AA holder to power a Zoom recorder (it also wants 5v) and I can go at least 8 hours on a set.  I just don't put alkalines in it.

Just a thought.

Is that so the smoke they put in at the factory, doesn't come out???!!!LOL

I wish I had this when I owned my 744T, could of used it alot actually. Nice find.

Cheers

Peter Mega

I actually think it was CYA on the part of the tech I talked to, but I didn't feel like risking 6VDC on my first day with it.  Good idea w/ the rechargables--I was using Alk AAs.

phil p

Good point to watch out on the voltages! Lithium AA batteries push out at least 1.7 in some cases, I had a couple in a Sound Devices MM-1 a few days ago, even after being in use for hours, they were STILL registering 1.6 volts.

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't want to try using more than 3 lithiums to power that little thing (or anything else that wants 5v like USB)

I put some used lithiums in my little MAG light and burned out the bulb in a few minutes.  I guess I didn't really think about the fact that the batts were lithium, and replaced the bulb.  Burned out that bulb too!

I put my multi meter to my AA battery box with the rechargeables, then compared that to the factory AC power supply ... just to be sure!

• 4 weeks later...