my work at Tribeca

soundtrane

Oleg, WHY NOT BOTH?

Chiristian, would be glad if you could see it and let me know what you think. The best and truest feedback comes from fellow sound people, that is what i think.

This was a truly difficult film in many ways, especially with two Panasonic P2 cameras running ALL the time, and totally free, NO shot design, NO rehearsals, NO actors (except for a couple), NO sound support, NO direction department support, NO production support except for the stuff a couple of well meaning guys could do, TOTALLY real locations, 30-40 min long takes, etc etc...

This was the first film i did with my Cantar and the Lectro Six Pack, and the rest of my gear, I owned only a pair of headphones before this one... :)

This film was done by a TWO member crew - my Boom Op Jahangir, and me.

-vin

What else do you think you need from this work? these people who made the film are not benevolent enough to add me to their list of people who will benefit financially if the film makes any money...

IN fact, I bent over backwards to make this film happen, and there is a lot more that happened during the shoot that i wont want to get into.

All I am happy about is that MY work is getting a space for people to hear. I don't care what happens to the film or anything.

Unfortunately, only these festivals give opportunities for people to go and see these films, maybe SOME people. But that at least.

This film was shown at the Berlin fest, and now here.

I want nothing from the makers of the film, ok?

I want people like Christian to go see the film and give me his feedback. That is all. This will help me learn more and correct my mistakes, adjust my way of working, etc etc etc...

-vin

WORKING CLASS

As far as working class is concerned - they will go and see what they can see if it is available in a cinema nearby, upon paying for a ticket.

Unfortunately, cinema is not that class of media anymore which allows the working class to participate. TV has taken this role.

And between commercial cinema and tv, there is ENOUGH bullshit for a "working class" person to waste his two hours, and also for the bourgeois. The difference is what they do BEFORE AND AFTER...

BEFORE: lots of small talk and patting of backs, some wine

AFTER: LOTS OF SMALL TALK AND PATTING OF BACKS, SOME MORE WINE

working class (you mean the great middle class) - they see the film, kids have had their popcorn and shit, they may have already finished their dinner in a food court (plastic tray, set, characterless) and then gone home... an evening out means a trip to a shopping mall/multiplex/food court.

Everyone is happy with mediocrity...

• 2 weeks later...

Surely Mike, no self-promotion was intended, just a shout out to my mixer friends out there to check out a film and give me some feedback. I have not seen the film yet!

Yes, sometimes one just has to do his job and let things take their course... Don't we do that almost all the time? :)

warmly,

-vin