Sony UWP Wireless System

aristotle_kumpis

While I haven't used this exact Sony system, a production company I've worked for did have a couple of Sony WRT-822 Tx and WRR-861B Rx which I have used.

I know the OP was asking about using them as hops, but my only experience with them is using them in a bag.

They sound fine, on par with my Lectro systems at least, but the problem is with the ergonomics of the systems, and some lacking features like the ability to scan for clear channels. With the Sony Rx, the DC inputs are on the side, which make them awkward to position in a bag side by side with other Rx. All the user accessible features, LCD screen and buttons are on the side of the Rx, again making it very awkward to use in the bag. The Tx are fine, slim enough, and come with a leather pouch. They are similar to the Sennheiser wireless Tx in their function.

They are usable, but the layout and lacking features makes them undesirable to use in the bag, for me anyway. I know that a lot of news cameramen use the Sony dual channel slot receivers in their cameras, and I'm sure they do a fine job as camera hops.

I haven't used these particular model Sony's but I have used the WRT8B and WRR861 as talent radio mics (on a show with supplied radio mics). They got smashed by my Zaxcom cam hop and I had stop using the Zaxcom and use my Lectro's as cam hops. The Sony's were fine after that. The range was surprisingly good and the audio was clean. THe Sony ECM88 lapel mics we were using were quite nice too and proved to be waterproof in the waterfall challenge we used them in.

The UWP's you mention are certainly cheap enough but why risk an El Cheapo system for camera hops? Especially if its the main audio on camera.

IMO, get the best you can for cam hops, even if its used Lectro's or Zaxcom.

Regards

Peter Mega

While on the subject of Sony wireless, anyone tried or used the Sony digital wireless?

DWR-S01D receiver

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562160-REG/Sony_DWRS01D_4244_DWR_S01D_Digital_Wireless_Dual.html

DWT-B01 transmitter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562158-REG/Sony_DWT_B01_4250_DWT_B01_Digital_Wireless_Bodypack.html

Receiver is dual so would need two tx's to use as stereo link.

There's an adaptor for use as stand alone, when not in camera slot, DWA-01D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552506-REG/Sony_DWA_01D_DWA_01D_Adapter_for_DWR_S01D.html

When used in a one man band operation, the cam op can adjust the TX's through the camera when the receiver is used in a Sony camera with built in slot.

This function could be dangerous though, when used as a hop from a soundie's bag. Imagine the cam op having control over your audio send TX's!!

Cheers

Peter Mega

The Sony Digital Wireless looks interesting, a couple of bonuses is word clock on the receiver and of course the wireless control of the TXs, but the price doesn't make any sense, Zaxcom all the way pound for pound.  If they were cheaper than the Zax's, sure would be interesting, as the feature set is significantly reduced, but they are actually priced much higher.

ECM-88 are good mics.  ECM-77 are ok, all the lower end Sony mics are trash.  I use a couple of old beat set of the WRR/WRT models, have served me well, but are nearing end of life and just getting by with them until I replace with Zaxcom LT / QRX sets.

• 2 years later...

I know, I'm reviving an old thread, and yes, Tom, the Sony pricing frustrates me. I have an ECM-88BC, and thought there might be some low-hanging fruit to offer it a wireless system. My real question: How far back can I look in order to find a tuner/receiver model for banks 30/32 or 42/44 that will accept transmission on the WRT-822B? Would the URX-P2 accept the signal? What would I compromise even if it worked? Do both ends offer PLL synthesis? I just don't feel like getting this year's model, if what I'm spending on the transmitter is already an afterthought

Or should I be considering a rewiring on my 4-pin sony lav? Getting a connector for it? 

Learning as I go...

I own (or have owned) sony UWP, lectro 411, audio 2020 and have used and tested sony DWX, WRT/WRR.

UWP: very underated (perhaps the boxes put some off) and quite good value. The diversity made the system more reliable than the equivalent sennheisers (G1/2/3), sounds about the same. New version comes with scanning, and an option for external powering. You'll need padded I/P cables for use with line signal.

WRR/WRT: very over priced by today's standards especially considering the performance. Sony only sell these for legacy reasons surely.

DWX: the best radios I've ever used. Great functionality, good build quality, easy menu, awesome sound and for us Brits, a 2 channel system works out cheaper than similar from Zaxcom (and lectrosonics SR). Can't use ecm 88 capsules as they are vulnerable to the digital transmission packets (doh), but great with latest sankens or DPA. I think the BBC have bought this system in big numbers.

Dan.

Thanks daniel. The DWR-S02D only connects serial to compatible Sony cameras, right? And Im not seeing an rx that's designed for a mixer/xlr...it does get me thinking about my other mics-DPA, sanken... Anyho-this is practically the opposite direction Id go with my ecm88 from the options they're giving me. What about legacy series before drr/drt that are still functional in the US? I know the only Sony models that are deceptively inexpensive these days are due to the illegal bandwidth J Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Of course Mike is right about not wanting to be called Shurely (and the other stuff too). But it is interesting to see that Sony's top of their range analogue sets retail for more than their digitals in the UK. Dual slot in receivers, removable antennas and a wide range of accessories demand a premium price but its hard to imagine folks looking for a new wireless system opting for this 1 (IMHO).

DWX can be configured for use in a sound bag. There are 2 Sony accessories for achieving this and a D sub 'breakout' (audio and power) loom could also be made.

Dan.

The bottom end stuff is rubbish

I disagree, as I have posted here before. They are very underrated pieces of gear and I believe people are 'branded' to believe the sennheiser units are 'better'. 

Try them out for yourself in a proper block for your area and compare them to comparable units.

I don't think one manufacturer like Sony make a wireless product soo noisey with results un-usable audio. Sony it is a serious company to put out a "mistake" product.

No; I'm not say you are not correct or you make something wrong.

I have a couple of UWPs I use to feed Alexas.

They have pretty good range and a pair of rechargeable AA's last about 7 hours.

They're only about $500 or so.

I have three sets of UWPs, and from what I know Alexas don't accept a mic level signal, only a line level signal. The UWP receivers I bought with the kit don't put out line level signal. As a result, whenever feeding an Alexa, we have to boost the level both in the camera and the receiver, just to have something audible. Now, if this is for reference only, no problem - as long as they can tell what's going on, you're good. But it's not enough for ENG or single-system production. What am I missing?

Having said that, these are my "backup" units and I have a few good mics with Sony connectors (Sanken & Countryman) which perform brilliantly on the Sonys. The noise floor is a bit higher than Lectros, and they only put out 10mW, I believe, so they're not on the same league. But for low budget work they're pretty reliable.

My neighbor (an electrical engineer) and I worked on making some battery eliminators for these units, but ended up quitting; not really worth it - but it's possible. I'm sure somebody else here has attempted that.

Cheers,

BK

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

How far back can I look in order to find a tuner/receiver model for banks 30/32 or 42/44 that will accept transmission on the WRT-822B? Would the URX-P2 accept the signal? What would I compromise even if it worked? Do both ends offer PLL synthesis?

Bumping my previous question...

You think I should just rewire my ECM-88B? Or just keep it wired for sit-down interviews? I'd spend less money just adding other fine mics to my locker. Finding the WRR-862B in the legal frequency range is a tall order, which is why I've held off buying a transmitter for it. I somehow recall this model not working with the WL-800 series in any case (the 77's, yes), and I'm on a goose chase trying to operate this mic most typically in the B channels, for US market, which makes the price of the sony tuners weigh in that much more.

Cheers to you