Sony UWP Wireless System

aristotle_kumpis

On Wednesday, July 03, 2013 at 2:08 AM, daniel said:

UWP: very underated (perhaps the boxes put some off) and quite good value. The diversity made the system more reliable than the equivalent sennheisers (G1/2/3), sounds about the same. New version comes with scanning, and an option for external powering. You'll need padded I/P cables for use with line signal.

The external powering would be via the USB port on the side of the TX? What are you using as the power pack?

I think the original poster may well be dead by now! You revived a 6yr old thread ;)

But,  just for the hell of it, I like the Sonys, cheap (Stock mikes could be a lot better, replace when u can) Great range (better than the new URX ones) Great battery life, a good 8 hours or so on 2*AA. Pretty rugged all metal housing. I can scan for free channels. The other down though is some kind of compression or gating which can become noticeable, although seems more noticeable on the butt plug (utx-p1).  

11 hours ago, TommygunZA said:

I think the original poster may well be dead by now! You revived a 6yr old thread ;)

But,  just for the hell of it, I like the Sonys, cheap (Stock mikes could be a lot better, replace when u can) Great range (better than the new URX ones) Great battery life, a good 8 hours or so on 2*AA. Pretty rugged all metal housing. I can scan for free channels. The other down though is some kind of compression or gating which can become noticeable, although seems more noticeable on the butt plug (utx-p1).  

Not quite dead. 

My UWP were the the original 1s and didn't have external powering options. With the ubiquity of USB it might be argued anything which can powered with USB should be. A battery eliminator would be more resilient in the bag imho and would therefore be (if it can be arranged) my preference.

On 1/31/2017 at 0:30 AM, TommygunZA said:

The other down though is some kind of compression or gating which can become noticeable, although seems more noticeable on the butt plug (utx-p1).  

Hmmmm.... so I should look elsewhere for a low cost butt plug option? 

Perhaps the new RODE product:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1187382-REG/rode_tx_xlr_xlr_wireless_transmitter.html

I use this  Sony  wireless system in my back bag with a 302. All run on AA batteries, for run and gun...news! I have to say they are easy to use and they just work. The sony lav mic that comes with units is just OK and the butt plug has been flawless. my 2 cents

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but are these still worth it? It looks like URX-P2 / UTX-B2 combos are going for $250, and I'd rather buy an older decent radio than the new cheap (and from what I've read, bad) units like Saramonic. I'd love to get a set of G3s but they're still a bit out of my price range. Wondering if used prices on the G3s will go down now that the G4s are coming…

Do it! I have five Sony UWP-D11 kits. (six Lectrosonics too, and a couple of RodeLinks)

Picked up at amazing eBay prices (lots and lots of patience and constantly checking, goes a long way!). Even though I've used G3 units many times (because everyone has!), I still decided to go for UWP-D11 as I find I prefer them. 

In my eyes, there is nothing which can match either the secondhand or new prices of the UWP-D11 kits

If you're looking at new prices, you need to leap up a lot higher before you can find anything worthwhile. And going cheaper is dangerous, likely just throwing your money away. (although, I would like to see more reviews of the new Senal wireless. Maybe it might take the throne as the new low budget wireless?? Who knows, I want to see more reviews first. Also, Aputure is meant to be developing new wireless too)

If you're looking at secondhand prices, the G4 is unlikely to make the secondhand G3 notably cheaper than secondhand Sony. The only keen competitor to secondhand Sonys is if you are willing to spend a bit more and get secondhand 200 series Lectrosonics. (which will mean better quality, but at the costs of: extra cost, using 9V instead of AA, and greater weight)

• 2 months later...
I have a couple of UWPs I use to feed Alexas.
They have pretty good range and a pair of rechargeable AA's last about 7 hours.
They're only about $500 or so.

Isn’t the Alexa expecting line level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have three sets of UWPs, and from what I know Alexas don't accept a mic level signal, only a line level signal. The UWP receivers I bought with the kit don't put out line level signal. As a result, whenever feeding an Alexa, we have to boost the level both in the camera and the receiver, just to have something audible. Now, if this is for reference only, no problem - as long as they can tell what's going on, you're good. But it's not enough for ENG or single-system production. What am I missing?

Having said that, these are my "backup" units and I have a few good mics with Sony connectors (Sanken & Countryman) which perform brilliantly on the Sonys. The noise floor is a bit higher than Lectros, and they only put out 10mW, I believe, so they're not on the same league. But for low budget work they're pretty reliable.

My neighbor (an electrical engineer) and I worked on making some battery eliminators for these units, but ended up quitting; not really worth it - but it's possible. I'm sure somebody else here has attempted that.

Cheers,
BK

How did you boost the level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried using the headphone output ? 
uwp.thumb.jpg.8306bb6be960f03e061f727da369919e.jpg

You rock I would never have thought of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using a pair of these for about two months now. They been working fine I have the dual receiver and it tends to go through batteries very fast

On 4/4/2018 at 11:39 AM, newzhack said:

I’ve been using a pair of these for about two months now. They been working fine I have the dual receiver and it tends to go through batteries very fast

Maybe power it via USB in your bag? Or switch off the second channel if you're not using it? (that saves battery power)

Maybe power it via USB in your bag? Or switch off the second channel if you're not using it? (that saves battery power)

I’ve been using them as a camera hop

I’ve been using them as a camera hop

I’m going to try to come up with the cable from the headphone outlet to XLR so I can use it on an Arri camera

On 4/1/2018 at 1:26 PM, newzhack said:

Isn’t the Alexa expecting line level?

Yes, it does. I think I cranked it up all the way, as well as the gain in the camera. This was years ago, I don't remember exactly - but I'm sure it wasn't elegant, seeing as I only used it as scratch track.

I've used HP amps to drive line level inputs, depends on the amp's output, how much gain you'll need at the input (and of course the quality).

Not a usual off-the-shelf cable, but easy to build with audio connector/soldering skills. For balanced XLR inputs, HP plug Tip and Ring to XLR Pin-2.  Pins 1 and 3 to shield.

I use the UWP (older model) as my 'Comtek' and 'Hops'.

Good range and fidelity for the price.

I now use the UWP-D as my team comms and camera hops. 

I had them already modded by Emmanuel (also a member of this forum, the original hacker).

The UWP had TA3 inputs for mic and the antenna modded to SMA.
Also yes the Headphone output is good to drive line-in channels

So on some days where I need the extra channel, I hook it up to my Octopack / RF distro SMA connector to enjoy the antenna distribution.

The only thing is that it's a bit on the fragile side (water/humidity/talent sweat). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2013 at 1:43 PM, traut said:

I have a couple of UWPs I use to feed Alexas.

They have pretty good range and a pair of rechargeable AA's last about 7 hours.

They're only about $500 or so.

I'm working a lot with Alexa Minis these days and have tried using my UWP to feed my audio into the camera. Using the headphone out and cranking everything (transmitter, receiver and camera) to the max, I get only one bar on the camera meter. Since there is no ability to monitor the audio on the camera, it's hard to know if I'm actually getting my audio or just a massively amplified noise floor. If there is anybody who is successfully using the UWP as a camera hop into the Mini, can you help me with this? Also, the headphone out from the UWP is much noisier than the Line out, which is only vaguely annoying b/c the camera hop is just a reference track.

5 hours ago, dougdunderdale said:

I'm working a lot with Alexa Minis these days and have tried using my UWP to feed my audio into the camera. Using the headphone out and cranking everything (transmitter, receiver and camera) to the max, I get only one bar on the camera meter. Since there is no ability to monitor the audio on the camera, it's hard to know if I'm actually getting my audio or just a massively amplified noise floor. If there is anybody who is successfully using the UWP as a camera hop into the Mini, can you help me with this? Also, the headphone out from the UWP is much noisier than the Line out, which is only vaguely annoying b/c the camera hop is just a reference track.

Been a little while since I did a shoot with an Alexa Mini, but I remember with my last one I used the UWP as a feed, and I even did a little video of how I did it (but then like most of my videos I didn't get around to uploading it to my channel! Got a massive back log...).

However I did just last week for a shoot with an Arri Alexa XT, and I found that using the headphone gain cranked up together with the camera gain cranked up was "sufficient" (although a bit on the weak side, but "good enough" for scratch, and on the upside it will be even more likely they won't use it! ha).

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Ask the DIT to play a cam track back for you!   All the cam types know about the no-monitoring thing w/ Mini, the DIT should help with a quick test!

Any monitor with a headphone jack (such as a SmallHD monitor, or many others) will also do the trick for you as well.