Sony UWP Wireless System

aristotle_kumpis

On 5/7/2018 at 1:04 PM, dougdunderdale said:

I'm working a lot with Alexa Minis these days and have tried using my UWP to feed my audio into the camera. Using the headphone out and cranking everything (transmitter, receiver and camera) to the max, I get only one bar on the camera meter. Since there is no ability to monitor the audio on the camera, it's hard to know if I'm actually getting my audio or just a massively amplified noise floor. If there is anybody who is successfully using the UWP as a camera hop into the Mini, can you help me with this? Also, the headphone out from the UWP is much noisier than the Line out, which is only vaguely annoying b/c the camera hop is just a reference track.

I use headphone out.

Perhaps either a cable or camera setting problem?

Cheers!

On 4/1/2018 at 1:26 PM, newzhack said:

Isn’t the Alexa expecting line level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How did you boost the level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use headphone output with no problems.

Cheers!

Do you like the UWPs better than Senn G3?  Better range?  Battery life? I ask because my fleet of G3 camera hops is now non-legal, and I see lots of folks going with UWP as a substitute.  Re that UWP headphone out, in the pix it looks like there is some exposed thread on the connector, so maybe a mini plug with a locking collar would work with it?   thanks

I just orderer a UWP ch14 set - seems infinitely useful as a hop for A7 and FS sony cameras, emergency extra 2 lavs, or for doing favors for close associates when they need to borrow something.  I think for everything Alexa I'll stick with my existing ERX TC+audio flow.

Even for hops to an ARRI ALEXA Classic which needs line level in, you can in a pinch use the headphone output of the Sony to give the camera a feed (although a little bit anemic, but good enough for a rough scratch track if budget confined). 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Even for hops to an ARRI ALEXA Classic which needs line level in, you can in a pinch use the headphone output of the Sony to give the camera a feed (although a little bit anemic, but good enough for a rough scratch track if budget confined). 

I'm wondering if you can do a feed like this on DSLR's, do you know if that can be done? I was on a shoot not too long ago and someone posed the same question. The one only thing I was able to respond was you can on an ARRI ALEXA and a RED, but wasn't sure about DSLR's.

Most DSLRs like mic level around -60dBu and both the UWP and G series can output that. The Sennheser G2/3 EK-100 portable receivers are unbalanced and includes a cable to feed both L-R channels (dual mono via 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRS cable). Don't know about the Sony, which may need a custom cable if the mic level output is balanced, but that's a cheap and easy alteration.

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

How exactly have you been finding it fragile to sweat?

I used it once for a wireless and had the same issue. I turned the transmitter towards the skin on a wrap and had range issues. Once away from the skin and it worked fine. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 5:36 AM, IronFilm said:

Via the USB port

I would love to understand how to update the firmware. We have 7 of these for our high school theatre and half of them behave differently with USB power (1.007 works correctly, 1.014 doesn't). I couldn't find software anywhere for doing the update. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 12:18 PM, jshank said:

I would love to understand how to update the firmware. We have 7 of these for our high school theatre and half of them behave differently with USB power (1.007 works correctly, 1.014 doesn't). I couldn't find software anywhere for doing the update. 

For anyone looking for firmware, you need to contact Sony support at 800 883-6817. They'll send you the links to the firmware updater for your generation of microphone. I had 3 generations of URX-P03 and UTX-B03 which required multiple firmware update programs to address. The process is also very complicated and requires a dance with Win10 to disable driver signing. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, jshank said:

On 4/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, jshank said:

For anyone looking for firmware, you need to contact Sony support at 800 883-6817. They'll send you the links to the firmware updater for your generation of microphone. I had 3 generations of URX-P03 and UTX-B03 which required multiple firmware update programs to address. The process is also very complicated and requires a dance with Win10 to disable driver signing. 

Jshank - mine sharing the links for us?