Schoeps CMC5/MK41 suspension sugestion.

pvanstry

He guys, what is the best suspension system for a CMC5/MK41 mic.  I am using it for indoors boom, and move around quite a bit.  Handling noise is a big problem.  I roll off all the low end using my 442 locut filter but there is still a mid frequency clanking sound that is not really cool.  I currently use a Sennheiser clip that has two rubber mount ( not the one that suspend the mic ) but it is not working out.

PLease help.....

Thank you

Pascal

The short PSC mount works really well with the Schoeps. The one that comes with the orange bands. It's extremely light weight. Also, if you're using a GVC, try the Shure double donut mount, the one that aligns the mic body with the boom pole. It's great for low ceilings and such. You might also be getting cable noise?

Tom

Well, this sound like good advice.  What really gets me is the fact that my MKH60 mounted on a Rycote mount ( old half circle two points ) makes no noise at all.  I wonder if it has to do with the type of microphone ( interference tube ) or simply that a Rycote mount is superior???  Would a Rycote mount be as good on the Schoeps??  I guess i should mount my Schoeps on the Sennheiser Rycote for a test.....

What about those new Onyx mount???  They look fragile...  Any comments on these....

This is how I configure my Schoeps MK41 with GVC swivel and CMC5U.Note that the cable is not a header cable but the same one that goes into the SD302.It is simply taped hard against the Ambient 460 pole and this is enough to stop cable noise.I put in the 80hz HP filter of the 302 and this is sufficient.

You should have a close look at:

http://www.cinela.fr/

I have tried this and it works very well,no bass cut off required.

Brian

DIon at Trew ( Canada ) is sending me A PSC, a K-Tek K-SM ( with soft rubber ) and a CInela Onyx 2 for me to try out.  I haven't had the time for a try with the old Rycote i have for my MKh60.  I will let you know guys.

PS.  Trew in Canada is really cool about let me trying stuff out.

Pascal

I roll off all the low end using my 442 locut filter but there is still a mid frequency clanking sound that is not really cool.

Not sure if you're having the same problem that I had, but my schoeps started making a clicking noise at one point, no matter what kind of mount I was using.  I tried a different one, found that it wasn't making the same noise, and ended up sending mine out for repair.

Since I've gotten it fixed, I've used the small PSC shock mount with no problems.  I do find that the rubber bands on the PSC need replacing from time to time.  I'll start to hear the mic vibrating between takes and know it's time to switch them out.

Tim

I've gone through quite a few different mounts in my quest for something simple, quiet, field-repairable and less expensive than a tankfull of gas for a Hummer. For short shotguns, the Panamic works best for me and meets all the criteria except, maybe, the last. For shorter mounts, I have been using one of the old Rycotes, the design with clips suspended between the arms of two "U" pieces. This worked very well and was exceptionally quiet but the chore of replacing the Rycote elastics was a nuisance. Following a tip from David, the parts guru at LSC, I changed over the system to use the orange elastics from the PSC mount, fastening them off to the "U" fittings with nylon cable ties. Nearly a year of frustrating adjustments followed. No matter what I did, the system seemed noisy. I changed elastics again to use the flat rubber bands used in the LTM mounts after David suggested that a twisting or rolling movement in the round elastics could contribute noise. Finally I got the whole busines quiet by making certain that the cable ties were securely tightened. To me, this was counter-intuitive. I would have thought that a bit of slack in the tie-off, so long as the elastic was stretched a bit, would help keep things quiet. But, I was wrong. Some of the noise was apparently the cable ties shifting position on the mount. So, now it's a Rycote mount with the blue LTM flat rubber bands tightly secured with cable ties. I also have a PSC mount with the orange bands and that's quiet too but the Rycote is a tad quieter.

David Waelder

Greg, I tried one of these out at Sound Techniques and was pretty impressed.At the moment they are for indoor use but I did hear that a windshield version was in development.They are very light and the construction looks excellent.The XLR plug is part of the mount and there are different types depending on the size and weight of your mic.It all hinges on balance.

Regards,Brian Shennan

Alright, here are my result after careful testing side by side, of a couple of shockmount for my CMC5/MK41 microphone.  First, i am not using a Cut-1 or a GVC.  Second i was looking for a sturdy mount that can take abuse and quick staching in a bag.  Here are the mounts i tested, Ktek generic mount ( with soft elastic ), PSC universal mount and a Cinela Onyx 2.  This was done during three days of shooting indoors.  First, all mounts took care of any handling noise ( within reason of course ).  The Cinela was brillant in that sense but not by enough to justify the price difference.  The Ktek was really good, but it was to big and bulky which made my passing thru doors ( with a tall Cameraman ) harder.  The PSC did a great job at taking all the handling noise out, is really sturdy, simple and very small, which in the end makes it a winner for me.  Now if i was booming for a feature and had ample room to store a suspension in order to protect it, i would go with the Cinela since it is a work of art.  But for everyday ENG/EFP use, the PSC wins for me.

THank you for all your post, it really help me in deciding, and again thanks to Trew audio Canada for there amazing support.

Pascal

• 3 months later...

This is how I configure my Schoeps MK41 with GVC swivel and CMC5U.Note that the cable is not a header cable but the same one that goes into the SD302.It is simply taped hard against the Ambient 460 pole and this is enough to stop cable noise.I put in the 80hz HP filter of the 302 and this is sufficient.

You should have a close look at:

http://www.cinela.fr/

I have tried this and it works very well,no bass cut off required.

Brian

Thumbs up.

Not sure if you're having the same problem that I had, but my schoeps started making a clicking noise at one point, no matter what kind of mount I was using.  I tried a different one, found that it wasn't making the same noise, and ended up sending mine out for repair.

Since I've gotten it fixed, I've used the small PSC shock mount with no problems.  I do find that the rubber bands on the PSC need replacing from time to time.  I'll start to hear the mic vibrating between takes and know it's time to switch them out.

Tim

It´s the screws holding the connector at the mic getting loose, tighten them regularry.

Regards

Matti