Nomad update

glenn

Based on user feedback and an excellent suggestion we have now implemented direct control of routing/pan functionality, trim, and transport control without having to leave the home screen or use 2 hands.

This will provide the same comfort level as having dedicated controls without the limitations of a 2 bus system.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc

Based on user feedback and an excellent suggestion we have now implemented direct control of routing/pan functionality, trim, and transport control without having to leave the home screen or use 2 hands.

This will provide the same comfort level as having dedicated controls without the limitations of a 2 bus system.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc

Cool, so how does trim work now?

phil p

My guess is that you'll designate two recording tracks or output buses as your left & right and with a combination of the fader touch plus maybe another button will transform the menu knob into a pan control.  Hopefully they also implement a gui display so you know where the pan is at when adjusting.

But who knows.

I am assuming there are no physical switches so how is this accomplished?

Will it be a fast pan?

Correct no switches.

Essentially what Zaxcom did is created a two channel mode. When you activate this mode Nomad makes a shortcut to the analog bus menu which will be displayed on the home screen. So from the home screen you can then select, for each analog input, either Left / Right / Both in a visible grid. The panning is accomplished by pushing the menu knob. I think Zaxcoms solution will now allow you to "pan" as quick as you would with a physical switch.

Correct no switches.

Essentially what Zaxcom did is created a two channel mode. When you activate this mode Nomad makes a shortcut to the analog bus menu which will be displayed on the home screen. So from the home screen you can then select, for each analog input, either Left / Right / Both in a visible grid. The panning is accomplished by pushing the menu knob. I think Zaxcoms solution will now allow you to "pan" as quick as you would with a physical switch.

Sorry to be dim, but I'm still not understanding how I would trim on the fly (like with one hand)?  Wouldn't I still need to move a channel fader (so it lights up), then move over to the menu knob to trim?

phil p

Anyone know if there will be any visual indication of limiter/compressor engagement?

Doubtful. It's not on the Fusion, or Deva, which have larger screen real-estate to play with. Though it could be done by having the track meter blink, or even having a 'virtual limiter light' turn on at the end of each meter. If it's a software thing it would be fairly easy to implement, but keep in mind that the Nomad features a new limiter in the analogue domain, so maybe not...

Doubtful. It's not on the Fusion, or Deva, which have larger screen real-estate to play with. Though it could be done by having the track meter blink, or even having a 'virtual limiter light' turn on at the end of each meter. If it's a software thing it would be fairly easy to implement, but keep in mind that the Nomad features a new limiter in the analogue domain, so maybe not...

That'd be a pity as far as I'm concerned as I regard it as a fairly crucial piece of information and I've found it quite odd that, as you say, it's not implemented on my Fusion. One would imagine that it could, as you suggest, be implemented in software. Anyone ever had any dialogue with Zaxcom about this?

I know consult the manufacturer myself ......... :) But I sort of am as Glenn started the thread.

Mick

I recently got informed (some will say it was about time) that a Deva simulator is available on the net and I tried it last week. It lets you explore the various functions of the Deva 4&5 GUI. A few functions aren't there but that gives a good idea of the possibilities.

Wow. There should be a simulator for each product that hits the market (wink) !

\Ü/

For the limiter: a few software apps on the market have these meters where you can see the actual action being performed by a compressor ; as the levels go up, there's a level that goes the opposite way on this same meter (in a different color) that shows you what's being compressed. And as you tweek the compression ratio or treshold, etc... , you can see the result in real time on the meter.

Nice.

Correct no switches.

Thanks for the info Jack.

That sounds perfect. I am now sold! I was on the fence about buying a NOMAD for just the lack of a quick pan feature, but I am now going to be getting one as soon as they become available. Hopefully I can pre-order one.

Now my decision is to go with the NOMAD 6 or 8.  Just curious anybody else decided to buy one? If so which version?

Thanks for the info Jack.

That sounds perfect. I am now sold! I was on the fence about buying a NOMAD for just the lack of a quick pan feature, but I am now going to be getting one as soon as they become available. Hopefully I can pre-order one.

Now my decision is to go with the NOMAD 6 or 8.  Just curious anybody else decided to buy one? If so which version?

I'm still on the fence about it because of the trim/panning thing. I was working an ENG gig yesterday and tried imagining using the Nomad with its panning and still think it would be bothersome. Maybe I just have to try it, but there were so many situations where I had to quickly pan channels back and forth. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having to touch each fader to pan/trim.

I'm still on the fence about it because of the trim/panning thing. I was working an ENG gig yesterday and tried imagining using the Nomad with its panning and still think it would be bothersome. Maybe I just have to try it, but there were so many situations where I had to quickly pan channels back and forth. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having to touch each fader to pan/trim.

You don't have to touch a fader to pan. In the new two bus mode your Left / Right panning is accomplished by one push of the menu knob. You will turn the menu knob to the right or left to select the channel you want to pan and then push the menu knob.

You will have to touch a fader to activate the "auto-trim" for that channel though.

Jack

For the limiter: a few software apps on the market have these meters where you can see the actual action being performed by a compressor ; as the levels go up, there's a level that goes the opposite way on this same meter (in a different color) that shows you what's being compressed. And as you tweek the compression ratio or treshold, etc... , you can see the result in real time on the meter.

Nice.

Boomboom,

Zaxcom has had this feature since the Cameo, and is also a feature of the Deva recorder models 4-16, so I assume it will eventually be a feature of the Nomad.

Glen Trew

O1v96 has it as well.  Originally got used to that on my Cameo.  A very nice feature indeed.

Boomboom,

Zaxcom has had this feature since the Cameo, and is also a feature of the Deva recorder models 4-16, so I assume it will eventually be a feature of the Nomad.

Glen Trew