alternatives to NP1 style battery powering?

Christian Spaeth

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" If they are drained simult. they will be dead +- at the same time "

you hot swap them out before they die... ::)

a switch between two batteries might cause devices to shut down and reboot themselves... :(

well, the idea is that it switches automatically and that it would have one LED per battery to tell you which is depleted.

Of course it would have a power buffer so the switching is done without interrupting the power out (as it is done in Zaxcom and SD recorders from external to internal power source)

well, the idea is that it switches automatically and that it would have one LED per battery to tell you which is depleted.

Of course it would have a power buffer so the switching is done without interrupting the power out (as it is done in Zaxcom and SD recorders from external to internal power source)

Or you could just buy your np-1s with built in led gauges.

Has anybody else used the verazoom bats yet I bought 1 last year and have been getting well over 24 hrs with my basic kit of 2 g3s 03 and Phantom for shotgun. I actually was pushing 48 hrs and only stopped the test because It was fixing to go on all week. I think I could link my spare 302 and run all 6 g3 RXs off of it and still pass 24 hrs easily.

I was talking about batteries with built in LEDs. The LED warning in the box would be to warn you that one of the batteries is dead so you can put a new one without the need to reach the batteries and check every x minutes.

Also in most Li-Ion batteries the LEDs are not very useful since Li-Ions have a plateau at a more or less constant voltage then fall rapidly.

Anyway it was just an idea

• 4 months later...

Is it safe to parallel two NP1 batteries? I'd like to use this setup, but if one battery was out of balance with the other, would it oscillate between the two? I've been warned lead acid will do this in parallel arrays, battery age and charge level need to match. But the chemistry IS different.

Hey you may want to check out what I have been using. Here is a copy paste from my post about the same question:

I think I'll also give an update with the batteries I went with.

I ordered 2 of these http://www.paulcbuff.com/vmb88a.php

and 2 of the chargers as well.

They charge up to about 16.6 volts and they have a cutoff at 11v. I am able to power a nomad 8 with Zaxnet on, a QRX100 and charge my phone all day off one battery and get it to maybe 13v (according to the nomad display). I mean all day, I only power off during lunch generally.

Each battery being <90 bucks and chargers at <25 dollars I could not be happier. So far I have used them on easily 60 full days (update, now been about 9 monthes) of shooting with no sign of memory loss. They charge pretty fast (maybe 4 hours) are relatively light weight and fit perfectly inside the back flap of my PEGZ1 bag. The connectors for the battery are cheap and easy to terminate so I made a few.

If nothing else would be a good inexpensive backup battery to have on hand for your NP1 setup or whatever else you are using.

-Chase

Hey you may want to check out what I have been using. Here is a copy paste from my post about the same question:

I think I'll also give an update with the batteries I went with.

I ordered 2 of these http://www.paulcbuff.com/vmb88a.php

and 2 of the chargers as well.

They charge up to about 16.6 volts and they have a cutoff at 11v. I am able to power a nomad 8 with Zaxnet on, a QRX100 and charge my phone all day off one battery and get it to maybe 13v (according to the nomad display). I mean all day, I only power off during lunch generally.

Each battery being <90 bucks and chargers at <25 dollars I could not be happier. So far I have used them on easily 60 full days (update, now been about 9 monthes) of shooting with no sign of memory loss. They charge pretty fast (maybe 4 hours) are relatively light weight and fit perfectly inside the back flap of my PEGZ1 bag. The connectors for the battery are cheap and easy to terminate so I made a few.

If nothing else would be a good inexpensive backup battery to have on hand for your NP1 setup or whatever else you are using.

-Chase

I'm quite intreiged about these... how have you managed outputs for these batteries as I can only see terminals??

I wander what these would be like powering a cart??

They are called Anderson connectors, I just wired them up to a BDS and that was it. You can get the connectors on Mouser, super easy to terminate (just a crimp). I really like the batteries, they have worked flawlessly for me for the last 9 monthes, I have 2 batteries but I only really use one, just charge it every night and it covers the entire day no problem.

They are called Anderson connectors, I just wired them up to a BDS and that was it. You can get the connectors on Mouser, super easy to terminate (just a crimp). I really like the batteries, they have worked flawlessly for me for the last 9 monthes, I have 2 batteries but I only really use one, just charge it every night and it covers the entire day no problem.

Sounds straight forward. Great, thanks

Out of interest does anyone have actual experience of these batteries (http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A00XK8/Globalmediapro-Li65N-Lithium-ion-Battery-65WH/) when using a Hawk-woods charger?

I've been using these LiFePO4 packs.

http://www.batteryspace.com/Custom-LFP-Battery-12.8V-9.9Ah-126Wh-7A-rate-UN-Approved.aspx

They also make a 13.2Ah version, but since they don't ship to Hawaii due to lack of "UN specification", I've been forced to use the smaller 9.9Ah model. I had them custom fitted with the "Trail Tec locking connector" and made up some pigtails that go to Switchcraft locking connectors to fit into my DC distro. I'm quite happy with them (after having given up making my own smaller packs). I bought a vehicle DC charger

http://www.batteryspace.com/12V-DC-Smart-Charger-1.5A-for-12.8V-LiFePO4-Battery-Pack-with-5.5x2.5mm.aspx

and also an AC charger with the Trail Tech tip

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger30afor128v4cellswithlifepo4batterypack110-240vacwithtrail-techmaleplug.aspx

and can nearly keep my batteries fully charged if doing a lot of driving in a day, or easily charge both packs overnight. Over time, I'm convinced this is the most economical solution (to be proven) as LiFePO4 is supposed to last much longer than other battery chemistries with respect to charge / discharge cycles and does not have the same memory issues as other chemistries either.

Thanks interesting - I measured my NP1's in comparison to Custom LFP Battery: 126Wh,

LFP = 165mm (6.5") x 137mm (5.4") x 28mm (1.1") = 38.61 cubic inches

NP1 = 7.25 x 2.75 x 1 = 19.9 cubic inches

LFP = 1170 grams

NP1 = 450 grams

LFP = 126Wh

NP1 = 84Wh

LFP Approximately 73% of the cost.

As I have already written before I use batteries Deben lithium polymer battery. In my bag I have a battery of 10A and another of 22A that I use as a backup.

the site says 300 cycles...which seems low, then says "Note that the battery still has a useful life after this." How many cycles have you put on yours? How many years have relied on these?

I recently switched to SM-4060 battery for my Nomad rig. 6Ah/90Wh. Similar to what Justan and Justin are using in terms of capacity. http://batteries4bro...mb11.htm��There are a few companies selling these v-mount and gold mounts with the d-tap and DC plug outputs.

I tried ordering their SM-4010 (10Ah) version, but it was physically too big so I exchanged them for the smaller ones. Built in LEDs, D-tap and DC plug output, but quick and easy V-mount charger was the appeal. They say they will charge on most camera v-mount chargers too. I really wish the 10Ah version had been smaller (size specs on the website are wrong). I have been putting the battery in the belly battery pouch of the 614 and it easily fits. I might not have gone this route if I knew the 10Ah setup wouldn't have worked, but the Nomad gets good run time, so it's very usable. I have not let it run all out to see what the time is but easily to lunch. Shorter jobs I can do the whole day on one battery. When I really get a day off I will let it go and see what happens. I'm also still running 4x411 RXs (turning off unused ones), but want to go with something lighter and hopefully less power hungry.

I was using a 10Ah bare battery (similar to what Vin is using), but the charger was a pain and I couldn't put two on the charger and walk away like I can with the v-mounts. Size-wise that was great. It was like a swollen NP-1, but with 10Ah capacity. The outside protection was just shrink-wrap. A little scary, but no issues in the last few years of using that to power my Fusion.