FCC License

Jeff Wexler

Congratulations all of you new license holders!

I am now in discussion with two of the Database Administrator companies, in regards to the development of the web portal user interface that will enable us to quickly enter the data necessary to be protected.

Towards that end, I have created an email account to disseminate info rapidly to licensees. If you have received your license, please send an email to:

part74users@ymail.com

Include your License Number, home city. and the email address you wish to receive updates to.

Jay Patterson

Congratulations all of you new license holders!

I am now in discussion with two of the Database Administrator companies, in regards to the development of the web portal user interface that will enable us to quickly enter the data necessary to be protected.

Towards that end, I have created an email account to disseminate info rapidly to licensees. If you have received your license, please send an email to:

part74users@ymail.com

Include your License Number, home city. and the email address you wish to receive updates to.

Jay Patterson

Jay,

Is my license # my file # or my FCC registration # ? There is not a number that is actually called "license number"

Thanks,

Andy

Jay,

Is my license # my file # or my FCC registration # ? There is not a number that is actually called "license number"

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

I should have been clearer. Your call sign is your identifier. Mine is WQNJ498.

BTW! - I will be starting a blog on the issue soon.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Well Group, today the First White Space Administrative database went online for testing. Both licensed and unlicensed wireless mic users may register the TV channels their transmitters use by visiting:

http://whitespaces.spectrumbridge.com/Trial.aspx#

using their fairly easy interface pages. If you have your license, follow the appropriate link. There is also a link for unlicensed users (this page will ask for your call sign, enter 'none'.) Also check out the "Locate channels available exclusively for wireless microphones" link which will tell you the two TV stations (use the zipcode of your shooting location) that have been reserved exclusively for wireless mic use. By registering all of my transmitters on the licensed side, theoretically TV channels 19, 20, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31, 32, 43, 44, and 45, for about one mile around NBC Universal Studios will be TVBD free from 07:00 til 10:00 Monday thru Friday for the duration of the forty five day test period. The camera department uses channels 15 and 17 for their Moduli, so I went through the non-licensed procedure to protect them also (I do not have a TV component to my license).

Interestingly enough, it seems that the registration is by each 6MHz TV channel, which may mean that any metropolis with several mixers registering their units, may preempt ANY TVBDs from operation during normal shooting hours.

Interestingly enough, it seems that the registration is by each 6MHz TV channel, which may mean that any metropolis with several mixers registering their units, may preempt ANY TVBDs from operation during normal shooting hours.

Jay,

I noticed this as well, to the point of showing as completely occupied channels that have low power analogue translators still operating.

I guess this is a problem for the TVBD folks, but there's space in an analogue TV signal that a radio mic or two can fit into.

Best regards,

Jim

Any chance someone could post a copy their application as an example to follow?

I think it might help encourage more folks to apply!

Cheers,

-C

Contact Bill Ruck billruck@earthlink.net

Jay posted his contact info somewhere he is a RF engineer in CA who for $100.00 will fill out your application for you and help you file it. The process is very complicated it was well worth the $100 IMHO

• 1 month later...

Group,

The first official test of a White Space Dynamic Database has been completed by Spectrum Bridge, one of the ten applicants for White Space Database administration to the FCC. As a licensed and unlicensed user, I participated fully, and the process was relatively smooth. Following was my letter to Spectrum Bridge sent yesterday, followed by their response...

Jaypatterson, Nov-09 21:03 (EST):

Spectrum Bridge,

I have participated in the Trial for the entire trial period, both as a Licensed (WQNJ498) and as an unlicensed user of low power radio and television transmitters in the greater Los Angeles area.

I am the Production Sound Mixer on CBS's CSI: Crime Scene Investigation television series, the Vice President of IATSE Local 695 (Production Sound and Video Technicians, Maintenance Technicians, and Projectionists) in Hollywood, and chairman of the Local 695 White Space Committee.

At the onset of the trial, I registered my permanent location (Universal Studios) and the standard working hours as a recurring location, and registered each "on location" set of coordinates as necessary. At one point I corresponded with Spectrum Bridge in regards to the tediousness of having to register each channel at each location (I occupy 14 UHF channels under my license with an additional 2 channels as unlicensed), necessitating 16 entries per location. Within a week, the User Interface had been updated to allow multiple channels per entry, a big time saver on my part. My recommendation to any approved Database Administrator is that a regular user be allowed to create a profile on the database, thus allowing one entry per location, requiring only the coordinates and times of use to be entered, having all of the channel info entered automatically.

I have been in contact with several users across the US, and none have reported any issues during the Trial.

Good luck.

Jay Patterson, CAS

Jay, thanks for the feedback and the constructive comments. We have a package that is designed to permit someone like you to create a user profile to manage their registrations. We did not make this part of the trial for two reasons. First, there is not a direct relationship or consequence to the rules. Second, we were concerned that someone who took the time to establish a user profile and then found out that we had to remove it as "test" data would be upset. We plan on having something available in the next couple of months. That being said we would be interested in what your thoughts are along those lines and how a user profile could help you.

Regards,

Peter Stanforth

CTO

Spectrum Bridge Inc.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

The TVBDs can go anywhere in the spectrum that isn't already sold, if that's what you are asking. During the trial, those with Part 74 licenses could enter the freqs they were planning on using at specific locations and times, and in theory TVBDs would be told to stay off those freqs at that place and time. I don't that actually happened, I think it was just the FCC's way of seeing if anyone was going to squawk when those devices fire up for real.

phil p

• 2 months later...

Yeah, this Form 601 is fairly short but does seem to use some "social engineering" to make details hard to understand and thus complete. A simple sample app, we could all reference, would probably help getting more people to attempt to get a license.

{There is an old 695 video I found that has a guy being pretty intense about sound mixers needing to pay heed to the FCC and their interest in giving out fines, otherwise I'd be in the camp who thinks purchasing a license to be a waste of money}