FCC License

Jeff Wexler

• 1 month later...

You also lose any possibility of the presumption of innocence, should you violate (even accidentally) any of the FCC's myriad rules and regulations, and you somehow get found by them. If anyone complains that you are causing interference or the FCC wants to talk with you about any of your gear...

"You are a licensee, you should have known better/about this" will probably feature in the conversation. Without the license, the chances of a first-time warning (non punitive) are much higher.

That license also guarantees you the 'opportunity' of voicing your opinion to the FCC about their auctions of the airwaves. However, unless you also have a megaphone made of million-dollar-bills... Chances are, the FCC won't actually HEAR your voice over the sound of the money rustling from AT&T and Verizon.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The "guy" you are referring too is Tim Holly of CBS-Radford Studios.

In Jay's first post he gives the following information for Bill Ruck.

Bill can be contacted at 415-564-1450 or billruck@earthlink.net

I think I used a 695 page from their website that has detailed instructions for filling out the application. That's what I used successfully. Just know what freqs you are on and plug and play. http://www.695.com/fcc/how-to-get-a-license

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have  a few questions concerning this license. Sorry if it's already been mentioned in this thread and I missed it.

1. If I come to the US as a foreigner, like for a news event, do I still need this license? We are looking at shooting for one day only.

2. If I rent the receivers and transmitters by a US company, is it me as an operator or them as owners that has the license?

Thankful for any help!

Best,

Max

• 3 months later...

Reently I have been getting a lot of inquiries about renewing your FCC LPBA license.

The FCC will send you a courtesy notice about three months before the expiration date.

All you need to do is to log on to ULS with your FRN and password and follow the steps to renew the license.

If you don't renew the license it expires.  The FCC gives only a 30 day period to renew a license after it expires.  More than 30 days it will have status EXPIRED and there is little one can do at that point.

Then you need to start all over again, either by filling out the ULS new license form or retaining me to do it for you.  Also the fee for a new license is much higher than the renewal fee.

The FCC also expects that you will keep your contact information current.  So if you move you need to go on line at ULS and do an administrative update on your contact information.

Bill Ruck

San Francisco

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

***UPDATE!*** After wrestling with the FCC's dreaded applet for about 3-1/2 hours, I finally completed and submitted my application. The cost is $160 now, FYI. Also, I was using Firefox with Java 8 installed on a PC. Super buggy, LOTS of refreshing, logging in and out but at least the application saves where you left off so you can keep plugging away at it. The toughest part was plugging in all the frequencies.. ugh. Good luck friends!

(Original post)

Anyone else come across this partially loaded applet whilst applying for the license? I've tried everything I can think of with my Java settings and using different browsers, etc. but they always look like this. It's as far as I can get. Thanks for any tips :(

applet.jpg

Edited by kstrahm

• 6 months later...

Kevin, I seem to be having the same difficulties you originally had - but I cannot overcome them (though not at 3 1/2 hours yet). I'm on a mac alternating between safari/firefox. Anyone else with this setup have suggestions? The application page, like the picture posted above, doesn't entirely load and is primarily a grey screen with lots of useless buttons that don't activate anything.

A couple of updates on licensing wireless microphones.

While the FCC Report & Order 15-100 added the band 941.5 - 944, 952.85 - 956.26, and 956.45 - 959.85 MHz and those are now effective in The Rules, you can NOT apply for those frequencies.  Yet.

The Catch-22 is that the FCC will only allow applications when there is Type Certified equipment for those bands.  And there isn't any that I have been able to find.  Yet.  I'm told that Lectrosonics is working "day and night" to have new equipment Type Certified by the NAB.  Then one can apply for those frequencies.

I have also heard reports of users with old, no longer legal, 700 MHz systems being confronted by a cell carrier representative.  You need to know that the FCC requires cell carriers to precisely locate cell phones for 911 purposes.  That equipment can also find precisely "foreign carriers" like wireless microphones.  So if they have someone in the area where an unlawful 700 MHz wireless microphone is being used it is not difficult to be found.  They can turn you into the FCC or even easier unleash their army of lawyers.  Be warned.

Bill Ruck

San Francisco

• 11 months later...

Hello,

Is there a paper form version for this application? I tried 3 browsers and finally got Internet Explorer with security set wide open to begin to load the applet but then the process stalls with a grey page and a few tab buttons. I am ready to give up and will prefer to use real life paper at this point if it is possible.

Thank you.