Jeff Wexler

FCC License

231 posts in this topic

update 03/06/2017

I tried using several older versions of JAVA in my Windows 7 x64 OS in Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer browsers and had zero luck until I found and used an archived copy of the Windows x86  jdk-6u45-windows-i586.exe installer. I had to manually enable the "Add-Ons" in Internet Explorer 11. Note that the Windows x64  jdk-6u45-windows-x64.exe did not seem to work in my x64 OS and I imagine this is because Internet Explorer is still a x86 application.

Once I had this version of Java running the FCC application opened quickly and ran smoothly. I had none of the troubles that I had anticipated. I followed the instructions at the Local 695 website and was able to complete the application in one session.

I got the 6u45 JAVA install by registering an account with Oracle and downloading the installer here::

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html#jdk-6u45-oth-JPR

I am adding this note because I wasted a lot of time trying different JAVA versions and hope that the info helps others. Good luck.

Is it possible to complete the application on a mac?

I don't remember having trouble filling it out on a mac.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:18 PM, Derek H said:

Is it possible to complete the application on a mac?

I filled it out on a Mac, some three years ago, and it was very arcane and cumbersome, but I was able to do it. IIRC, I ended using Firefox, which isn't the browser I normally use.

Cheers,

BK

Hello,

I just received an email with a link to a two page .pdf file that verified an official part 74 license has been granted. Should I expect some sort of printed, or hard copy, identification card to be sent in the mail or is the call sign what is used in the field to identify the license if a question is raised face to face? 

Thank you.